Michael Wildes update in full for your info..

NickG

AS we look forward to the start of a new season, it seems hard to imagine that only three months ago the club was only one Leicester goal away from relegation and possible administration.

As a Saints supporter, that is certainly not something I would ever wish to experience again.

advertisement

That experience made it absolutely clear to me that a fundamental change of direction was required if the club was to survive for any length of time outside the Premiership.

Unlike many other clubs, Saints has been blessed with Premiership quality facilities. But this blessing has proved to be a serious hindrance to our financial survival outside the top flight.

In this simple sense, the club has become a victim of its own success, a situation only made worse by fundamental structural inequities within the national game. If these inequities are not addressed by the powers that be, I can easily see a situation where we will see the extinction of a significant number of league clubs over the coming few years.

Unfortunately, some supporters are becoming complacent about the threat of administration.

There is a belief that there will always be a "white knight" that will come to the rescue and that the club will always survive, in perpetuity for the benefit of the community and its supporters. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The ever increasing numbers of league clubs facing financial difficulty will inevitably lead, in my view, to the extinction of some of our most historic clubs should something not be done quickly to redress the financial imbalances that exist within the industry.

The recognition of this very real threat to our club led to a change of board composition during the close season.

There has been the introduction of a new streamlined structure designed to enable quick, efficient and effective decision making at a time of financial crisis, where the success or failure of the club could hinge on the board's ability to be responsive to the challenges facing it.

In making these changes, we have been able to remove petty politics from the boardroom, and have adopted what we believe to be a realistic and sensible approach to the problems facing the club.

The board is now fully focussed on both the financial survival of the club, and on ensuring that we remain competitive in football terms.

Although promotion may seem a long way off based on last season's performances, I believe that with the approach we have adopted, this is an achievable and realistic objective.

Of course, promotion cannot be guaranteed, but we must be able to make it the basis of our aspirations and ambitions at the beginning of every season.

This has required major changes at the club over the summer and has involved urgent and necessary cost cutting both on and off the field, and the introduction of a new coaching set up with an emphasis on youth and entertaining football.

We believe that at a very fundamental level those working within the club must be committed, motivated, and have a desire for success above all things.

This has been reflected in our choice of coaching staff, and in the evolution of our first team squad where "playing for the shirt" has become an important part of our coaching philosophy.

As many will know by now, we intend to give our youngsters every chance to realise their true potential.

Age will not be a barrier if they are good enough.

Our approach has been, wherever possible, to renew or extend the contracts of our most talented young players to enable us to build a squad that can continue to improve over a number of seasons.

If this approach proves successful and promotion is attained, then our squad can largely be kept together and we can continue to evolve and grow as a team, rather than needing to undertake the major squad surgery, which usually accompanies elevation to a higher division.

We see long-term continuity as an essential element in bringing success.

In Jan Poortvliet and Mark Wotte we have two exemplary "no nonsense" coaches who fully understand the philosophy we are trying to bring.

I am delighted they agreed to join the Saints and help us realise our vision.

Jan and Mark, together with Dave Hockaday and Stewart Henderson, have had an intensive pre-season, getting to know the squad and understanding their strengths and weaknesses.

Players have been released or sold who do not fit into the style of play that we are seeking to introduce.

New players have been brought in who will be able to contribute positively to the new tactical approach. Motivation, application and professionalism, in addition to footballing quality, are now pre-requisites for our squad players. We realise that without these, success will be difficult to attain.

In this regard, the club has been fortunate in that it has an academy of some considerable quality, possessing a number of youngsters who are capable in the short to medium term of making the step up to the first team and carving out a reputation for themselves.

We believe that our approach will reinforce our academy's reputation, and make the Saints the destination of choice for many of the country's top youngsters who are vying to make their mark in professional football.

Of course, any team requires a foundation based on strength and experience to hold it together and to successfully compete, particularly in the Championship.

We continue to seek the best blend of youth and experience with the more mature and experienced players in the squad acting as role models for the younger players - on and off the pitch.

Our goal is to develop a culture and squad capable, not only of attaining promotion to the Premiership, but also of staying there.

However, we must be realistic in the short-term as it may take some time to achieve our goal. For example, if the club fails to secure a swift promotion we must accept that in the future, it may be necessary to let some players go to other clubs to further their careers.

If this proves necessary, this will at least help provide us with the necessary financial resources to continue competing for promotion.

Player trading is vitally important for any club outside the Premiership, as is the ability to identify, attract and retain the most talented youngsters either from the UK or abroad.

Saints have been extremely successful in this regard in recent years and we will seek to ensure that this continues for the foreseeable future.

The success of Southampton Football Club and its parent company is totally dependent on success on the pitch and this will remain our absolute priority.

Whilst much is made of the land assets of the company possibly providing a financial lifeline to the club, in reality this will not manifest itself for many years, if at all.

The club must operate in the here and now and that is what your board is determined to do.

If further opportunities arise to improve the club's financial position, they will be examined on their merits at the time. This will hold equally true in respect of any bona fide offer received to acquire the share capital of the company.

With so many changes, the support and patience of our supporters will be crucial.

There is no magic wand that will guarantee promotion - simple dedication, commitment, and hard work is what will be required.

At the highest levels of sporting endeavour, confidence, belief, and mental strength can also make the difference between winning and losing.

This is where our supporters will be vital and where they can directly contribute to our success on the pitch.

With the strong and unwavering backing of our loyal supporters, especially when things do not appear to be going our way, I believe our team, and in particular our younger players, will be able achieve great things.

I, for one, am looking forward to the new season with optimism.

I am looking forward to seeing how our youngsters develop; to seeing exciting, attacking and enjoyable football, and to experiencing the ups and downs of the Championship season.

We are in a highly competitive division with very few points between a play-off place and a relegation berth.

If we can play well consistently, anything is possible.

Football has been plagued, for far too long, by the minority who take pleasure in playing the blame game and deriding other people's efforts.

There is no place for this attitude at Southampton Football Club.

We need to look beyond this, to be constructive, committed, to work hard, play hard, and then together, just maybe, we can achieve all that we desire.

Michael Wilde, Southampton FC football club board chairman

COYR

Edited by exit2
COYR Sorry couldnt resist

if the team play like the WHU game we will soon forget about...who is in the boardroom at the moment?

Quite, the board should just shut up and get on with it. Wilde's column seems straight up, but the need for it in the first place speaks volumes.

Board members should be like Children. Seen yet not heard.

It is well constructed, covers all the important and salient points. And I think it will be an important moment in time.

As such I think we should file it SAFELY, and reopen it. Firstly on 1st September after the sales window closes, secondly in January and again at the end of the season and just see what changed and how...

Personally, it's a bit long but actually looks like it was written by somebody who believed that they were talking to grown ups instead of 6 year old chavs for a change, so for that alone phew, no more Crouchie Churchillian speeches, I thank the new PR manager.

And hope that the work can now stay behind the scenes and with the programme.

Oh and don't you DARE let the lads get promoted, I'd have to move back, as from what I've heard so far, 11 players wearing our shirt with pride in the PL is just something I would not want to miss.

(Luckily just signed a new 3 year deal to stay:-))

In summary: In order for the club to achieve, you all need to believe.

Time to let bygones be bygones and recognise the positive u-turn that Wilde and Lowe have instigated after the disastrous course of the previous two years. In these two we have much to be grateful for and much to learn.

:smt039

I got bored hence no comment just the post!

Interesting read NickG ,

I personally have no problem with a good 'cut and paste' article on here as they're a useful debating tool but the forum terms and conditions specifically rule against it , something to do with copyright and the Echo complaining I understand .

As a point of order can the Mods issue definitive guidance on this matter so that we all know where we stand in future?

Interesting read NickG ,

I personally have no problem with a good 'cut and paste' article on here as they're a useful debating tool but the forum terms and conditions specifically rule against it , something to do with copyright and the Echo complaining I understand .

As a point of order can the Mods issue definitive guidance on this matter so that we all know where we stand in future?

It looks like a press release type statement by Wilde with no input from the echo hacks then I don't think its a problem in this case?

in summary: In order for the club to achieve, you all need to believe.

Time to let bygones be bygones and recognise the positive u-turn that wilde and lowe have instigated after the disastrous course of the previous two years. In these two we have much to be grateful for and much to learn.

:smt039

no can do

It's an ok-type article,which covers just about everything. Interesting the way the club are "drip-feeding" Michael Wilde back into the fold.The club must be aware of the supporters mistrust with anything to do with Wilde, but are gradually re-introducing him as a major influence alongside Rupert Lowe.The jury is still out as far as i am concearned.

It is well constructed...

Well constructed? He clearly doesn't understand the concept of paragraphs....which probably means he has difficulty linking ideas together properly.

Having tried on his own and but quickly and abjectly failed, he has, like most people lost in a world they don't undertand, turned to the received wisdom of new religion, with Rupert and SCW as high priests to tell him what to do and say.

But he has one thing right - the professional football business is now one in the process of consolidation, and, because one club cannot buy out another, consolidation will happen through the "wastage" of smaller clubs. The lower division(s) will turn increasingly part-time, and clubs like Saints, if they survive at all, will become in effect feeder (or developmental associate) clubs of the elite.

One could even suspect that Sneiderlin (can't be bothered to check the spelling) might be one step on from what Lowe worked out in relation to the Walcott situation ... have we got him "on a kind of hidden loan" from Arsenal while he develops, and provided that he matures as expected, the deal will be completed i.e. we will be paid for our "input"?

But if it is entertainment you want, that kind of arrangement might be ok.. it just further weakens the concept of "the club supporter".

I'm afraid that whereas your little manifesto the last time struck a chord with me after what had gone on before it, this all sounds dreadfully hollow and contrived. All waffle and sentiments without much substance.

Strangely that's what I thought about the original manifesto!

I had attempted to comment on some of his assertions individually, but apparently his piece was so long that even though I had not much written more than a line or so to respond to each bit, when I came to post it put up a message to say that the thing was too long to post! Well, a lot of it was waffle and platitudes. Did anybody else feel as if they were being lectured like a naughty schoolboy?

I had attempted to comment on some of his assertions individually, but apparently his piece was so long that even though I had not much written more than a line or so to respond to each bit, when I came to post it put up a message to say that the thing was too long to post! Well, a lot of it was waffle and platitudes. Did anybody else feel as if they were being lectured like a naughty schoolboy?

Don't answer back!

"AS we look forward to the start of a new season, it seems hard to imagine that only three months ago the club was only one Leicester goal away from relegation and possible administration."

Get your facts right Mr. Wilde.

If Leicester had scored one goal Coventry would have been relegated not Saints !

I thought it was weird how it had exactly the same sorts of cadences as a Gordon Brown autocue speech. I'd put money on its have being written by a consultant/speechwriter.

"AS we look forward to the start of a new season, it seems hard to imagine that only three months ago the club was only one Leicester goal away from relegation and possible administration."

Get your facts right Mr. Wilde.

If Leicester had scored one goal Coventry would have been relegated not Saints !

If Sheff utd had scored we would have gone down wouldnt we?

If you suffer those issues I am not certain due to our local internet censorship, but I heard of an organisation that gives assistance, think it was something like http://www.allegedlylikemaxmoseley.com. Not sure if they stand corrected or if they are a legal assistance fund.

Meanwhile, I know what you are getting at, but compare to Crouch's "push on for the playoffs and in the interests of the club type stuff".

At LEAST the PR manager (yes it was a subtle dig) has raised some of the same points about the future of football that we have debated on here in the past year or so rather than just coming out and saying "the spirit of Southampton" or "it's a tough job but together we will see it through ".

It isn't going to change our opinions but again at least it is a MORE professional type message that is coming out

Unfortunately, some supporters are becoming complacent about the threat of administration.

There is a belief that there will always be a "white knight" that will come to the rescue and that the club will always survive, in perpetuity for the benefit of the community and its supporters. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Michael Wilde, Southampton FC football club board chairman

COYR

Quite how Wilde has the gaul to lecture supporters is beyond me. One of the main reasons we're in this hole is because he took over the club and then he walked away leaving Hone, Dulieu and Hoos to run the show. Supporters aren't complacent about administration at all. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that a company that loses money year on year is in the weeds. The only complacent person i can see is a bloke who sanctioned a £7mil super spend when we were clearly skint.

Wilde is a master of spin and waffle. It wasn't so long back he was posting on TSF about Paul Allen, now he's done the okey kokey yet again and is giving out a different message. It's all about which message is convenient to Mike Wilde at the time.

we ll at least we dont have to have endless debates about Jacksons Farm, he has said that it is a noon starter in the near future so all the fuss about that was a nonsense.

I'm looking forward to 12 o'clock. As for the rest...each to their own but who was at the helm when the 7 million was so 'wisely' spent by Burley...

While i appreciate his time in writing that i see little purpose to it. He is saying promotion is our target but we need to be calm if things go bad this season and not un-balance things. By that logic that would mean every club below the Premiership would have the target of promotion wouldn't it. As they would all have promotion as the main goal.

And praising Jan and Wotte for helping with his vision, the season has not even started and i can't help looking at that part thinking it is like the person who accepts an award before he has had his name called as the winner. I also can't help feel a little deja vu with what he is saying. When things look ok he is there sending out these little notes, but when it goes wrong he runs and hides. So i think we all should have faith in the youngsters and back the manager 100% but i think it is too early to be claiming our new direction a success before a game has even been played.

Wilde has done absolutely what a football chairman should do, which is issue a war cry at the start of the season. He has covered virtually every point that needs covering. It doesn't matter if individuals don't agree with everything he said, and who wants a chairman to say he hopes the team might manage a bottom half finish! But he clearly thinks we can do better and that top six is makeable. We just have to bear in mind that all the other teams have the same objective, so its not just how well saints play, its also how well others play..

I missed the bit where he explains why he spunked millions we didn't have on overpaid old journeymen.

Are those the people who were in the side that got to the playoff against Derby? Or Maybe Wilde wasn't still on the board by then. But hey! Why let facts get in the way of another mindless rant against the club you claim to support. Wilde is currently filling a major role for our club; what are you doing apart from rubbishing someone we are relying on for success?

Are those the people who were in the side that got to the playoff against Derby? Or Maybe Wilde wasn't still on the board by then. But hey! Why let facts get in the way of another mindless rant against the club you claim to support. Wilde is currently filling a major role for our club; what are you doing apart from rubbishing someone we are relying on for success?

As far as I can see, the only vital role Wilde is filling for our club is propping up the return of Lowe. Granted he is the titular chairman of the football board, but as to whether this strategy was dreamed up by him or by Lowe is open to conjecture; I'd say Lowe, personally. So is his primary motivation the good of the club, or the saving of his shares? Call me a cynic, but I'd say the latter. Are we actually relying on Wilde for success? I'd say that notion was a bit far fetched myself, as I believe that rather more depends on the players and manager/s now. But let's imagine that the scheme to rid the club of all the players on high wages and replace them with the youngsters was a joint one between Lowe and Wilde. Was it born out of desire or necessity? My money's again on the latter. That's not to say the plan won't work; merely that the more options of choice there are, the better the finished plan will usually be. Most on here accept that without significant investment, this path is the only sensible one that the club can follow to avoid administration. Not many other options there, then.

Whether the return of Michael Wilde is any more beneficial to the club than his last incarnation remains to be seen.

Anyone know why Sundance Beast goes quiet the same week that Lowe is 'away on business'?

Can't for the life of me work that one out....

:D

And what of these rather dark innuendos by other posters that due to some changing circumstances, we will not see Sundance again.

Personally, I'd be gutted, as it was great fun pulling his posts to pieces. He was such an easy target. ;)

As far as I can see, the only vital role Wilde is filling for our club is propping up the return of Lowe. Granted he is the titular chairman of the football board, but as to whether this strategy was dreamed up by him or by Lowe is open to conjecture; I'd say Lowe, personally. So is his primary motivation the good of the club, or the saving of his shares? Call me a cynic, but I'd say the latter. Are we actually relying on Wilde for success? I'd say that notion was a bit far fetched myself, as I believe that rather more depends on the players and manager/s now. But let's imagine that the scheme to rid the club of all the players on high wages and replace them with the youngsters was a joint one between Lowe and Wilde. Was it born out of desire or necessity? My money's again on the latter. That's not to say the plan won't work; merely that the more options of choice there are, the better the finished plan will usually be. Most on here accept that without significant investment, this path is the only sensible one that the club can follow to avoid administration. Not many other options there, then.

Whether the return of Michael Wilde is any more beneficial to the club than his last incarnation remains to be seen.

Irrelevant who was the architect of the new strategy Lowe, Wilde or a combination. Even if it was Rupert's brainchild he'll have had to get the support of the shareholders and therefore have to get the buy in of a sufficient proportion of the shareholding.

Anyhow, what does it matter whether Wilde is acting in the interests of his wallet or for more altruistic motives is pretty much lrrelevant. Both ultimately require the same - success for the business and on the field - which is pretty much what we all want for our own reasons.

Unfortunately we are in a position where the business side is every bit as important as the manager and players - it defines what we get in those roles.

As for the statement, well it's another dose of the current reality we face as a club in our situation. I think the majority either applaud the current approach or at least see its necessity - it'd be the same if MLT, the admins of this forum or my mum were in charge unless we are lucky enough to find some maniac with a pile of cash he wants to get rid of with little prospect of RoI.

The personalities behind the suits are immaterial. They've got a way forward and have to sell it - hence the statement. A couple of days ago Wilde was being slated for being a quite quiet, now some people use his breaking cover to start the old discussions over again.

Anyone know why Sundance Beast goes quiet the same week that Lowe is 'away on business'?

Can't for the life of me work that one out....

ooh Trousers , you smoked me out. Perhaps it's the inane unchecked drivel from the likes of Wes Tender that has bored me into a sense of idleness.

Wes you may feel I am an easy target but your air of superiority wins you little respect and I suspect bores most people rigid. Any sight of blue text has me at least reaching for the log out link. It may be just me but your level of self righteousness and your overbearing, supercilious and pious style has actually become 100% worse since the changes to the forum. People may not like my views but at least my posts sparked debate and not narcolepsy. You really ought to try supporting the club for a chnage.

Roman, I haven't forgotten you but suffice to say I'm doing very well in the current circumstances and don't need you on my Christmas Card list just yet.

ooh Trousers , you smoked me out. Perhaps it's the inane unchecked drivel from the likes of Wes Tender that has bored me into a sense of idleness.

Wes you may feel I am an easy target but your air of superiority wins you little respect and I suspect bores most people rigid. Any sight of blue text has me at least reaching for the log out link. It may be just me but your level of self righteousness and your overbearing, supercilious and pious style has actually become 100% worse since the changes to the forum. People may not like my views but at least my posts sparked debate and not narcolepsy. You really ought to try supporting the club for a chnage.

Roman, I haven't forgotten you but suffice to say I'm doing very well in the current circumstances and don't need you on my Christmas Card list just yet.

Have you swallowed a dictionary ? :)