Moose damage/roadkill...

.comsaint

MOOSE STORY

The following pictures are of a moose that went through a car's windshield and out the rear window last month near South River, Ontario.

The VERY lucky woman driver ended up with just a broken wrist and needing a good bath. When you view the pictures you will wonder how the woman managed to survive.

38712153.jpg

46467131.jpg

45320570.jpg

37191754.jpg

78239225.jpg

I know the above is a real shame & not nice - but it got me thinking about the worst animal/living creature you've ever hit?

In the 30-odd years I've been driving - I've been quite fortunate & apart from the odd bird, vole, rat, etc - I've only ever had very near misses with deer, badgers, foxes - touch wood! My nightmare would be to hit something as lovely as a fox, badger or deer - and worst of all - someone's pet dog.

Anyone had a moose come through the windscreen? Jeez this is all very morbid....

;)

I hit a badger once, it ran out in front of me at the bottom of Crowd Hill, when Crowd Hill was a 60 limit, and it tore off the front valance and the bottom of the radiator and dented the sump. It ran off.

Probably didn't have any insurance, they rarely do.

Probably didn't have any insurance, they rarely do.

lol.

On the same subject; I remember now about 15 years ago I did run over a young girl's pet cat. It ran out in front of me & there wasn't anything I could do. Now - I hate cats - but I wouldn't want to run one over. I was hoping it lived as it ran at a rate of knots into a garden after my front wheel hit it. The girl (aged about 20-21) was very distraught (as you would be) so the next day I bought a big box of chocolates & took them round her house - hoping that it had survived. But alas - it was hit & had run into the garden shed

where she found it an hour later dead. Don't think the choccies helped - but she sure was top totty! Don't think running her moggy over was ever going to get me in her pants though - alas. :(

This actually happens very often. Moose are the animal in Norway responsible for most human deaths, not the bears or wolves, usually through traffic accidents.

In fact they feed the wolves in a wildlife park here just on meat from moose hit by trains.

You have to be very careful driving in some areas at night, in winter they come down to lick the salt off the roads, and they quite often take shelter in the entrance to tunnels. I've seen quite a few and they are more the size of a horse than a deer. They taste good though. One moose will fill a couple of freezers up easily. We've just finished eating the meat from one my father in law shot 2 years ago.

Took out a pidgeon on the M1 once, came in from the side and smacked against the top of the windscreen. Looked out of the rear vew mirror and saw it bounce from my car straight onto the windscreen of the guy following me.

I'm assuming it died.

Took out a pidgeon on the M1 once, came in from the side and smacked against the top of the windscreen. Looked out of the rear vew mirror and saw it bounce from my car straight onto the windscreen of the guy following me.

I'm assuming it died.

No I didn't....

I'm assuming it died.

Pigeons - without doubt the worst flyers in the world! Not the racing types of course - but the common or garden wood pigeon. I must be responsible for ending the life of I don't know how many. It's all down to their really crap vision which (I believe) is a 30-degree angle in front of them.

And pheasants. Another crap-at-flying bird. How many of those have I squashed ffs?!?!

Pigeons - without doubt the worst flyers in the world! Not the racing types of course - but the common or garden wood pigeon. I must be responsible for ending the life of I don't know how many. It's all down to their really crap vision which (I believe) is a 30-degree angle in front of them.

And pheasants. Another crap-at-flying bird. How many of those have I squashed ffs?!?!

Records are kept - and retribution will be served.

This actually happens very often. Moose are the animal in Norway responsible for most human deaths, not the bears or wolves, usually through traffic accidents.

In fact they feed the wolves in a wildlife park here just on meat from moose hit by trains.

You have to be very careful driving in some areas at night, in winter they come down to lick the salt off the roads, and they quite often take shelter in the entrance to tunnels. I've seen quite a few and they are more the size of a horse than a deer. They taste good though. One moose will fill a couple of freezers up easily. We've just finished eating the meat from one my father in law shot 2 years ago.

I visit St.Patrik from this forum quite often in Sweden and he's told me some horrible stories, for example a common cause of death isnt just from hitting your car into a moose, its from the moose struggling in pain to get free and kicking you to death inside the car.

Can vouch for moose meat though, bloody lovely! http://www.twitpic.com/npmlp

I visit St.Patrik from this forum quite often in Sweden and he's told me some horrible stories, for example a common cause of death isnt just from hitting your car into a moose, its from the moose struggling in pain to get free and kicking you to death inside the car.

Can vouch for moose meat though, bloody lovely! http://www.twitpic.com/npmlp

How can you eat such an animal Baj?

Surely there's some moosteak...

* gets coat...

In my younger more carefree days I would regularly find a moose in the back seat of my car.

As for the taste, I always thought it had more of a fishy tang to it!!

Anyone trued Moosaka, my local greek restaurant is famoose for theirs.

• 4 months later...
I could've made many pigeon pies - but didn't. Does that wipe my slate clean?

Funnily enough .comsaint, I picked up a roadkill the other day, while out for a bike ride. Tbh, I've been waiting for the chance. The previous Sunday [not last], we were rolling along in the New Forest, not far from The Cuckoo Inn. Just off the dusty road surface, and into the short undergrowth, stuck out a bundle of something. I was at the head of the four of us, so I thought for a second, then checked and swung around to go back. Three heads turned and I know they were thinking... what the hell is he up to..? Because we all weren't in the best of moods, at that moment.

I investigated, and found that it was a beautiful rooster, who had either had his head chopped off, and had run off from a nearby farm [like they are said to do, but pretty unlikely in this case], or had been run down and decapitated. It looked more like the latter, to my mind. Anyway, I checked him and he was still warm, pink and loose in the joints. Being a rooster, he wasn't plump like a hen, but more muscular.

Everyone rode up. We took a photo to mark the event and then popped him in the top box inside a shopping bag. The long and short of it is that we plucked it, and drew out the offal [i remember it was still warm inside], and then put it in water to soak for a few days in the fridge. Just the other day we had Coq au Vin, the way it should be done, and it was absolutely bloody excellent.

I always feel a bit of a fraud when I pop into a supermarket to pick up some meat. It's so, so easy. I feel quite a bit less so now that I've at least finally administered in the preparation, very shortly after death, of an animal or bird, cooked it and eaten it. Plus we did justice to it, by making a real effort.

That was brave, StL. There are a few reasons not to eat something you found by the side of the road but I salute your bravery. I would've convinced myself it was a farm kill and the reason the farmer hadn't worried about it running off was that he was killing it because it was diseased or something.

I hit a dear once, was going along a long straight on an A road in the early hours, saw it jump out up ahead of me, braked hard but annoyingly the stupid thing decided to run down the road instead of just going to one side out of the way. I thought I was going to get past it as it started to move out of the way, but then it moved back left at the last moment. Thankfully that meant I didn't hit it square on, but it still put a sizable dent in the side of my car. (I also learnt that my car breaks weren't that good either!)

It ran off into the bushes, although it did leave some fur and blood on the car, but they are pretty tough creatures so I liked to believe it was ok.

The only living living creature I've hit so far is a ****ed up 14 year old chav girl in Mansbridge a few years ago. Her and her mates were doing knock door run or something and whilst they all decided to run off down the pavement she thought it a better idea to run in front of my car and thus end up in my windscreen. Luckily she escaped with just a broken leg and a broken nose.

I shot a moose once. I was hunting in upstate New York, and I shot a moose.

And I strap him onto the fender of my car, and I'm driving along the West Side Highway. But what I didn't realize was that the bullet did not penetrate the moose. It just creased his scalp, knocking him unconscious. And I'm driving through the Holland Tunnel and the moose wakes up.

So I'm driving with a live moose on my fender and the moose is signaling for a turn. And there's a law in New York State against driving with a conscious moose on your fender, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. And I'm very panicky. And then it hits me—some friends of mine are having a costume party. I'll go. I'll take the moose. I'll ditch him at the party. It won't be my responsibility. So I drive up to the party and I knock on the door, and the moose is next to me. My host comes to the door. I say, 'Hello, you know the Solomons.' We enter. The moose mingles. Did very well. Scored. Some guy was trying to sell him insurance for an hour and a half.

Twelve o'clock comes, they give out prizes for the best costume of the night. First prize goes to the Berkowitzes, a married couple dressed as a moose. The moose comes in second. The moose is furious. He and the Berkowitzes lock antlers in the living room. They knock each other unconscious. Now, I figure, here's my chance. I grab the moose, strap him on my fender, and shoot back to the woods. But I've got the Berkowitzes. So I'm driving along with two Jewish people on my fender. And there's a law in New York State, Tuesday, Thursday, and especially Saturday....

The following morning, the Berkowitzes wake up in the woods in a moose suit. Mr. Berkowitz is shot, stuffed, and mounted at the New York Athletic Club. And the joke is on them, 'cause it's restricted.

I don't drive, so i've not hit anything (as of yet), but a couple of my friends had a close call last year when they were driving down an A-road next to some woods at night and had to swerve to avoid a deer that had run out in front of them. They managed to hit a sign post which then flipped the car 3 times and they ended up in a ditch, but miraculously none of them were seriously injured apart from some cuts and bruises. The firemen that came to the scene said that if they'd hit the sign post a couple of inches to the left, they'd all be dead from the collision. Just goes to show the dangers of animals on the road!

I don't drive, so i've not hit anything (as of yet), but a couple of my friends had a close call last year when they were driving down an A-road next to some woods at night and had to swerve to avoid a deer that had run out in front of them. They managed to hit a sign post which then flipped the car 3 times and they ended up in a ditch, but miraculously none of them were seriously injured apart from some cuts and bruises. The firemen that came to the scene said that if they'd hit the sign post a couple of inches to the left, they'd all be dead from the collision. Just goes to show the dangers of animals on the road!

That old chestnut.

That old chestnut.

Aye, so many people over the years have lost their lives or seriously injured themselves because of deer running out into the road, just scary to think that it could've happened to 3 of your best mates! They only went for a McDonalds ffs :(

I read on the Honda VFR forum I go to occasionally, of an old story about a few blokes in Australia, who were driving along a very straight road in the outback. Because there was nobody around, they were bombing along, and not paying 100% attention. Suddenly, out of the bush and onto the road hopped a whole troop of kangaroos, and the blokes swerved but hit one of them.

There he lay, in the road, dead. So the guys were a bit mournful, but decided, what the hell, he'd jumped out on them. They pulled the limp kangaroo upright and dragged him over into the shade. Then, just for a laugh, the driver took his jacket off and popped it onto the kangaroo, along with his baseball cap. One passenger got his camera from the glove compartment and set it up to take delayed snaps. They all crowded around the kangaroo, arms over shoulders while grinning at the camera. Meantime, the kangaroo stirred, shook its head, threw off his new friends and hopped away into the bush...

...taking the driver's cap, jacket, wallet and car keys..!

I used to work with a guy who told a story about visiting a friend in Botswana. They were driving down the highway at night too fast when the lights picked out a herd of elephants crossing the road. They braked hard but still crashed into a baby elephant, which ran off trumpeting. The Botswanan he was with told him to get out of the car and run - which they did - staying hidden in the bush until morning. When they came back to the car it had been stomped flat by the adult elephants.

A pheasant hit my van windscreen and cracked it down the middle, got to the house I was working at and the owner came out and paid me before he went to work and I noticed the pheasant was hanging by it's throat from my ladder, threw it in a bush , my gran was annoyed as she said she would of cooked it.

A pheasant hit my van windscreen and cracked it down the middle, got to the house I was working at and the owner came out and paid me before he went to work and I noticed the pheasant was hanging by it's throat from my ladder, threw it in a bush , my gran was annoyed as she said she would of cooked it.

Going to Bouremouth Borough Council a few years ago a Pheasant impaled itself in the grill of my Car's radiator somewhere near Ringwood and I could not remove it.

When I got to the Council Offices I was told in no uncertain manner that I could not park there with a Pheasant stuck to my car.

Luckily my collegue who I was meeting there had a penknife and we cut the dead pheasant free and threw it in a bin

I think if it happens again I will keep the Pheasant and send it to your Gran

Going to Bouremouth Borough Council a few years ago a Pheasant impaled itself in the grill of my Car's radiator somewhere near Ringwood and I could not remove it.

When I got to the Council Offices I was told in no uncertain manner that I could not park there with a Pheasant stuck to my car.

Luckily my collegue who I was meeting there had a penknife and we cut the dead pheasant free and threw it in a bin

I think if it happens again I will keep the Pheasant and send it to your Gran

She'd like that.