Mass Effect 2

Colinjb

Just under 2 weeks or so until it comes out, as a massive fan of the first game I cannot wait!

Had so much fun with the first one playing through with a variety of Commander Shephards! Really am looking forward to seeing how the new game will let you use your prior 'character.'

The trailer looks rather awesome too.

It would help yes. Mainly to know the characters a little and the lore of the game. You can pick up the 1st one pretty cheap these days.

Plus also if you play the 1st one you have the option of transfering over your character and level to the 2nd one.

Just got my first taste of the game.

Loved that I could resurrect my old badass Commander Helena Shephard and continue her rein of terror.

The boring lift loading screens have gone.

The new map system is not very good.

The new ammo/heat sink system is a lot more conventional, which is a shame.

One of the new female lead characters (Miranda) is fantastic.

The 'denial' twist in the story is frustrating.

I am hooked already though.

And there it is, just finished my first play through.

Loved it, bloody loved it. This sequel has suceeded in removing a lot of the needless actions in the first game (back tracking through maps after missions etc) and still works brilliantly, the play mechanics are still the same too, so it's great to play, a wonderful action/rpg crossover.

It retains the wonderful dramatic elements of the first game and improves on them, the voice acting is inspired, Martin Sheen as 'The Illusive Man; is incredible and it rivals many films for how it delivers the narrative.

However...... And it's a big however.....

The first story was an epic, with twists and turns throughout. This isn't. It's a story about bulding a team and has an anticlimatic battle at the end. People die in your team based on your actions, but other then that, it's rather lacking.

It is a stunning, stunning game, but it lacks the key strength the first game had. It's wonderful story.

8/10

I'm a bit ****ed off about killing my favourite character within 5 seconds of getting into Omega 4. In a ****ing cutscene, so I couldn't even attempt to save them.

Seemed very cheap.

You should have upgraded the damned shields!!!!!! Poor Jack/Tali.;)

Edited by Colinjb

Just finished this last night. I didn't have anyone die on the final mission, how did they die? Is it because of you pick to fill the specific roles? (Who goes in the vent, who leads the team etc?) I got most of the research upgrades though, particularly the improvements to the ship itself.

Great game though, I really liked the new combat system. No spoilers, but THAT was the Collector's plan? Really? They also need to do something about the planet scanning thing in the next game, it just takes too damn long!

For my first playthrough I suffered a few casualties. Thane died after the 'Final Boss' was defeated and Mordin Solus snuffed it off screen in one of the support parties.

Losing Thane was no surprise as I botched his loyalty task, but Solus was odd, he was loyal and I had implemented his upgrades, strange.

Either way, a good core of characters to take to ME3 under the renegade command of Commander Helena Shepard! (It's so much more fun to be bad in these games)

I lost the same people as you then. I made Thane the commander for the second team, he got shot and died in my arms. He was loyal to the end.

But I kind of thought he would die. And he is dying of a disease in the game, so I thought he might not be around for Mass Effect 3, so while I used him in most missions, I was prepared to lose him.

Mordin died from a squad holding them back from the doors. He was unloyal.

Interesting. I had everyone loyal to me, so that must have helped. I sent Tali into the vent and had Garrus lead both of the second teams. I chose Samara to do the biotic field thing. I had Mordin and Legion with me for the final boss. I was worried about Mordin croaking it, so that's why I took him with me.

I started a second play through on hardcore difficulty last night. Crikey that certainly is a lot harder. Everybody has a shield or a kinetic barrier!

• 1 month later...

Just finished it. I had Jack die at the end, when debris fell on her. Maybe because she wasn't loyal. Did her mission but she argued with Miranda, and I didn't have enough paragon at that point to placate her. Ah well, crazy *****.

• 11 months later...
The last Mass Effect 2 DLC, 'Arrival' is out today. Should bridge the story between ME2 and 3. If anyone is interested. :)

Im interested in picking up this and some other dlc for mass effect 2. I heard a lot of it is crap but isnt one of the expansions sposed' to be awesome?

Im interested in picking up this and some other dlc for mass effect 2. I heard a lot of it is crap but isnt one of the expansions sposed' to be awesome?

There is a lot of 'filler' stuff.... differed costumes for the characters, etc... But there are a few extra missions which I have played that have really entertained me, they are:

Kasumi - Stolen Memory.

Adds another character, 'Kasumi' to the game including her loyalty mission.

Overlord

Provides you with a mission to track down what's happened in a failed Cerberus experiment. - A brilliant bit of DLC.

Lair of the Shadow Broker

The best bit of DLC so far. Provides the first steps on towards Mass Effect 3 from 2's core story. Re-introduces a character from Mass Effect 1.

Arrival

The final bit of story DLC. Will play it through tonight.

They are both drawing now...

I like Mass Effect 2, but I also like Uncharted 2...

Harry-Hill-harry-hills-tv-burp-762583_640_360.jpg

FIGHT!

It's right up there with Uncharted 2. Thorougly enjoyable and immersive game. Playing Crysis 2 now but just cant get into that in the same way as ME2. It pulls you in with its storyline and it stands up as a third person shooter withs strong RPG elements. Shame that I wasn't able to play the first game but the comic has kind of filled me in on the back story. Really enjoyed the Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker Missions. Looking forward to ME3. It's going to be a stonking end of 2011 with that and Uncharted 3.

Yes, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have to be my favourite games as well. Loved all of the DLC as well! What'd you think of Arrival?

It was a bit short for me. Very well put together and loved that it tried something new (a bit of strealth and an 'against all odds' section) but it didn't quite match the standard of 'Lair of the Shadow Broker.'

You really have to play it after you have completed the main campaign though, otherwise it all seems a bit out of place.

I definitely needed to spend less time mining planets... Thoroughly enjoyed it and think Tali died during my run through.

Anyone know of any two player games like this - trying to drag my fiancee in the grim world of gaming but we need something to play together otherwise she gets bored.

• 2 weeks later...
Got a copy of this winging my way at the moment, is the game easy to pick up? I haven't played either game before but pretty familiar with RPGs like Final Fantasy etc.

It's easy enough to get into. Just imagine a cross between gears of war and final fantasy and you're there.