Buying a Sat Nav

Hatch

Right, I'm looking to buy a Sat Nav for the missus,

1. About £70 - £100

2. Needs to be completely idiot proof

3. Are they just 'Plug in and play'?

Any thing to avoid, or at this sort of price is just OK to walk into Halfords and say 'I'll have that one'

1. About £70 - £100

Any thing to avoid, or at this sort of price is just OK to walk into Halfords and say 'I'll have that one'

You mean you let her drive the car unsupervised?!

1. About £70 - £100

Tomtom is ok, but the best according to a Auto-express test is the Garmin Nuvi 200. HTH ;)

Tomtom is ok, but the best according to a Auto-express test is the Garmin Nuvi 200. HTH ;)

Mods am I allowed to link to the fact that I have a Garmin Nuvi 200w for sale for £40 on ebay?

If so http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110489342368&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

if not - sorry :(

Edited by Red Alert

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I've had both Tom Tom and Garmin and although Tom Tom is slightly more user friendly, the Garmin had much better coverage for what I wanted.

I bought a Nuvi 265WT which comes with live traffic for life.

I've had both Tom Tom and Garmin and although Tom Tom is slightly more user friendly, the Garmin had much better coverage for what I wanted.

I bought a Nuvi 265WT which comes with live traffic for life.

I've got a Nuvi 255WT and do prefer it to the TomToms I'd borrowed before that. My Mrs doesn't seem to have any problems with the Garmin either.

For complete idiot proofness, you'll probably want a feature called Lane Assist. This not only tells you where to go, but in which lane you should be, to go in your chosen direction. Pretty useful, for those occasions when you're going somewhere fairly strange and you're approaching a large and busy junction, with many lane options. There still aren't many Sat-Navs with this feature, by my memory, but I know one manufacturer who does offer it in their range - Becker. Good enough for Mercedes and Ferrari, as standard equipment.

1. About £70 - £100

Hatch, is your missus a Polish taxi Driver by any chance? If so get her a language course while you're at it mate. ;)