HGVs face motorway restrictions

.comsaint

One of the proposals is to prohibit HGVs between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes from using the right hand lane of motorways with three or more lanes.

The ban would also extend to all buses, minibuses and coaches with more than eight passenger seats.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/247278/

About time too! I think that would work well personally.

About time all HGV's were banned from using all roads btw 7am & 9.30am & then again btw 4.30pm to 6.30pm.

Tractors should be banned from all A roads...& the farmers that use the A31 / A338 should be shot ;)

Congestion sorted in one swoop :)

Followed by bicycles & horseriders (each to be shot when caught on the roads); Learner drivers (should be limited to 7pm - 10pm weekdays); all Nissan Micra/Honda Jazz/Rover drivers; females should be banned - end of; and raise the minimum driving age to 25.

Doubly sorted!

:D

I would have wanted this to go further actually. All HGV's on Dual Carriageways should be restricted to the left hand lane. The A34 is horrific for Lorries overtaking each other and crawling up the hills at 45 miles per hour.

Everything would flow so much better.

Followed by bicycles & horseriders (each to be shot when caught on the roads); Learner drivers (should be limited to 7pm - 10pm weekdays); all Nissan Micra/Honda Jazz/Rover drivers; females should be banned - end of; and raise the minimum driving age to 25.

Doubly sorted!

:D

How about no cars on the road unless all the seats are filled..? ;)

Seriously though, it is about time something was done about trucks and the outside lane. I think we've all see the scenario of 3 trucks across the motorway, all on the 55mph limit, with the the 2 overtaking trucks unable to pass the inside truck unless it slows down appreciably, which the driver is unwilling to do.

The fact is, there have been far too many trucks on the notorways and major roads for years now. How on earth there is still not a coordinated network of rail freight, which passes on to short distance delivery-to-destination trucks, I don't know.

HGVs in the outside lane of a motorway? Where? I've been driving 22 years and I've never seen that one. Doubling-up in a drag race on the A34? All the fricking time.

HGVs over 7.5 tonnes are already banned from the outside lane, so that's probably why you hadn't noticed.

Anything that reduces the number of mobile roadblocks on the A34 has got to be good though.

HGVs in the outside lane of a motorway? Where? I've been driving 22 years and I've never seen that one. Doubling-up in a drag race on the A34? All the fricking time.

I'm not a huge motorway user, preferring the roads they replaced, as they they are generally empty. However, I can estimate I've seen 3 trucks across a motorway, as I suggested earlier, at least half a dozen times, or more.

HGVs over 7.5 tonnes are already banned from the outside lane, so that's probably why you hadn't noticed.

Anything that reduces the number of mobile roadblocks on the A34 has got to be good though.

It won't though, it only applies to 3 lane motorways. HGV's can still legally take the outside lane on 2-lane dual carriageways (Motorways such as the M2 and A-Roads)

It won't though, it only applies to 3 lane motorways. HGV's can still legally take the outside lane on 2-lane dual carriageways (Motorways such as the M2 and A-Roads)

I agree with this and the point Ponty has made, the major A roads need covering by this as well. A34, A3(M) and A27 are bad offenders for this, mind you some motorways have a bad issue with this, particularly the M11, M5 Northbound and M6.

3 points and £1000 fine should be enough deterrent. It's about time we looked at intermodal transport more closely as someone said above and got 50% of trucks off of the road. Ban mopeds from main A roads like the A27 and A3 as well and pedal cyclists don't belong there either - they are very fond of dicing with death on the A27 from Chichester to Emsworth when they have a very cycle-friendly road in the A259 to use.

I would have wanted this to go further actually. All HGV's on Dual Carriageways should be restricted to the left hand lane. The A34 is horrific for Lorries overtaking each other and crawling up the hills at 45 miles per hour.

Everything would flow so much better.

Just take the speed limiters off!......simples;)

Make them stay in the slow lane at all times, and bring in a congestion-type charge to use major roads during peak times.

That would be a start.

Wouldn't solve the ridiculous traffic on the M27 between Whitely and Eastleigh every morning though....which suddenly disappears during half term.....hmmm, I wonder why that is.