Question?

Dog

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I know if you put leaded petrol into a car with a catalytic converter you have just shot yourself in the foot to the tune of a couple of grand.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

STP Lead Substitute, which is phosphorous based

Poisoning

Catalyst poisoning occurs when the catalytic converter is exposed to exhaust containing substances that coat the working surfaces, encapsulating the catalyst so that it cannot contact and treat the exhaust. The most notable contaminant is lead, so vehicles equipped with catalytic converters can only be run on unleaded gasoline. Other common catalyst poisons include manganese primarily from the gasoline additive MMT, and silicon which can enter the exhaust stream if the engine has a leak allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. Phosphorus is another catalyst contaminant. Although phosphorus is no longer used in gasoline, it (and zinc, another low-level catalyst contaminant) was until recently widely used in engine oil antiwear additives such as ZDDP. Beginning in 2006, a rapid phaseout of ZDDP in engine oils was begun.

Depending on the contaminant, catalyst poisoning can sometimes be reversed by running the engine under a very heavy load for an extended period of time. The increased exhaust temperature can sometimes liquefy or sublimate the contaminant, removing it from the catalytic surface. However, removal of lead deposits in this manner is usually not possible due to lead's high boiling point.

STP Lead Substitute, which is phosphorous based

Poisoning

Catalyst poisoning occurs when the catalytic converter is exposed to exhaust containing substances that coat the working surfaces, encapsulating the catalyst so that it cannot contact and treat the exhaust. The most notable contaminant is lead, so vehicles equipped with catalytic converters can only be run on unleaded gasoline. Other common catalyst poisons include manganese primarily from the gasoline additive MMT, and silicon which can enter the exhaust stream if the engine has a leak allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. Phosphorus is another catalyst contaminant. Although phosphorus is no longer used in gasoline, it (and zinc, another low-level catalyst contaminant) was until recently widely used in engine oil antiwear additives such as ZDDP. Beginning in 2006, a rapid phaseout of ZDDP in engine oils was begun.

Depending on the contaminant, catalyst poisoning can sometimes be reversed by running the engine under a very heavy load for an extended period of time. The increased exhaust temperature can sometimes liquefy or sublimate the contaminant, removing it from the catalytic surface. However, removal of lead deposits in this manner is usually not possible due to lead's high boiling point.

Meaning?? Thrash the crap out of it?

No don`t do that !

How about talking to someone at STP or drain the fuel ? I know it`s a pain but you don`t want to bugger your car up.

Too late, I've used up the whole tank, filled up again today. i think I'll just grin and hope for the best.

Are any of these additives like Redex actually worth the money?

I can't remember what substance it is, but there is an off the shelf product that is supposed to give you an extra 10-15% power. Would it be Celulose (sp) thinners perhaps?

nitrous oxide?

redex works by flushing all the ****e out of your cars injectors, for "power" gains your car would have to be:

a)****ing old

b)****ing knackered

nitrous oxide?

redex works by flushing all the ****e out of your cars injectors, for "power" gains your car would have to be:

a)****ing old

b)****ing knackered

What he said.

Having run many variations on the Golf GTi theme, eg: mk1,2 & 3 GTi's and early Sciroccos, the car needs to be over 10 years old or have a high mileage to benefit.

A bottle of STP in a 200,000 mile GTi can work miracles but will do little or nothing to any modern motor in the way of a performance gain.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Why would anyone put STP lead replacement in a car that runs on unleaded anyway?

I can't believe nobody has asked...

We didn't need to ask. Look who started the thread...