Xbox 360

saint_bert

Those pesky red lights!

My mate had the old problem of the lights of doom.

They replaced it with a brand new 360

The warranty has expired.

Now his new one has two lights.

He phoned Xbox,and they told him that he would have the pleasure of forking out 83 quid to fix the fault?

Is this contestable?

Surely you cant say, heres a fix-but when its broken tough luck?

Is he sh*t out?

If he has the ring of death then the console is under warrenty due to MS saying they would be extending the warrenty on it for a further 3 years.

The two lights i think means the power supply has been pulled out the back or something.

When mine died about 7 months ago they charged me £20 to replace it. So sounds like he either explained his problem wrong to them or the assistant on the phone had no idea what they are doing.

Just get him to ring them up and say you have the red ring of death. They should sort it for free then. And ask for some free games. I got Gears of War and Crackdown because mine broke :)

Moral of the story... Get a PS3. Never had any problems with it.

Sadly mine died just before xmas. Took two weeks to get it sorted.

The old 360's are really really awful. But the ones made from about a year and a half ago are fine. So if you have one of those chances of it breaking are small, in fact Cnet did a study and found its failure rate was equal to that of the PS3. Which main defect is the white light of death and the problem i had which was the harddrive dying. They also found in the study that Sony's customer service was the worst of the three consoles. trying to arrange a return with Sony was like trying to tell the police you were innocent for a crime you did not commit!

Things break, especially electronics. It really is the luck of the draw. Ironically two of my friends who bought launch 360's, the ones which are a time bomb waiting to go off have had zero problems with them, while they both have had problems with their PS3's. Half of the problem with the whole rrod thing is it was very widely publicised. What is funny is a lot of those people who said they had the ring of death, later found out it was the safety ring telling them the power supply had been unplugged, doh!

The old 360's are really really awful. But the ones made from about a year and a half ago are fine. So if you have one of those chances of it breaking are small, in fact Cnet did a study and found its failure rate was equal to that of the PS3.

doh!

Really? I read Cnet quite alot and all I remember is this article about it:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304288,00.htm

And that article is fairly recent. The 360's rate of failure has definitely improved, but it still isn't near the launch PS3s stability...

Really? I read Cnet quite alot and all I remember is this article about it:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304288,00.htm

And that article is fairly recent. The 360's rate of failure has definitely improved, but it still isn't near the launch PS3s stability...

Here is the report whichif i remember right Cnet showed

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf

This showed that PS3 failure rate was 10%. It showed that 360 failure rate was 23% and Wii was just 2.7%.

This report was done using the first 2 years of ownership. That was when 360 was at its worst in terms of dodgy parts, which it had an abundence of.

The same company did the same survey again later and found 360 failure rate was now just 4%

http://www.examiner.com/x-13078-Rochester-Xbox-360-Examiner~y2009m12d5-360-failure-rate-now-less-than-4

Point being the 360 failure rate in its 1st 2 years was a joke, the machine was not ready for release and it seemed they were trying to fix it as they went along. Disgusting if you ask me.

But the important thing about that data is it was done by a company who actually deals with the fixing procedure, so it has the hardware to work on.

Putting a poll on a games forum to see how many people have had busted machines is always going to be flawed.

So we see both consoles had a high failure rate with 360 at that point double the failure rate of the PS3, which is bad.

But now the 360 has a failure rate of around 4% and PS3 has according to Sony now a 1% failure rate.

Which means both consoles had flaws (remember the watchdog programme on bbc about ps3 failures?) but now the chances of any of the consoles breaking is unlikely. So as i said before, it really is the luck of the draw.

...and is now waiting for some decent games to be released on it and for a few others to join him online. PS3 is a great blu ray player though with an option to be a nerdy teenager if need be and brag about the number of cod shot in the head or something like that.

WTF are you talking about?

The technology forum or the last bastion of family values - the dinner table? I like to venture into the dustier parts of TSW now and again it's amazing what you can find.

you're stereotype of nerds seems to be off somewhat, as i doubt youd think a nerd would go to football games every week, gigs and be covered in tattoos

I would go into a defence of the whole "only nerds" play games thing (you guys know me!) but i can't be arsed :)

The truth is games are now and have been for sometime the biggest selling form of entertainment. Meaning it sells more then music and films. So by that definition if you watch films or listen to music you must be a nerd! Plus statistics show that 40% of people playing games are actually female, and of that 40% 26% are over 50 years old :)

http://www.marketingcharts.com/interactive/women-comprise-40-of-us-gamers-26-of-whom-are-over-age-50-5327/

I had a press release from Sainsbury's the other day that saying that they are selling Elite 360s for £160 until early next week (the deal started yesterday) rather than the RRP of £200.

Might be of use to anyone with the RROD...

wow that is a pretty amazing deal right there! I guess they are trying to make way for the new Final fantasy bundles coming in soon?

If you don't have a 360 yet that is a bargain. Will be able to play my tips for Game of the year Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2!

Moral of the story... Get a PS3. Never had any problems with it.

Have to agree with you there mate.

As for hard drive problems with the PS3......

I replaced my 60GB hard drive (after the warranty had expired) with a 320GB WD drive; under £40 from Amazon + postage http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-320GB-Internal/dp/B0011U65F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266514951&sr=1-1