Good Ol' Scrambling.

St Landrew

Before it was called Motorcross/Motocross, it was Scrambling. As a kid, when Saints were playing away, I used to love watching scramblers like Vic Eastwood, Dave Bickers and Jeff Smith. They almost exclusively used to ride British bikes, mainly 4-strokes, but occasionally 2-strokes, which had better power charcteristics in certain situations.

Here is Dave Bickers on the 250cc Villiers 2-stroke engined, Greeves, with their famous aluminium framed front and headstock, with leading-link front forks.

Jeff Smith is on a 440cc 4-stroke BSA Victor. Murray Walker commentating as always. Great stuff.

Edited by St Landrew

Brilliant stuff, love it. I used to race a KX250 back in 2000.

This is pretty good too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwHnsESSSjM

Nice video. Rode a green meanie eh, Dog..? Nice machine.

2006-Kawasaki-KX250b-small.jpg

Must admit, I do slightly hanker after a road legal off-road bike to buzz about town occcasionally, and elsewhere. Riding the VFR everyday or so is bloody wonderful, but you just can't jump on it and go. Something small and light, that if I fell off it, I could just kick straight, and resume, would be great.

A bit before my time but have great memories of watching scrambling in the early 80's with my Dad. The mud, the smell of the 2 strokes, and all the noise and excitement. I'd always fall asleep in the car on the way home dreaming of racing a bike like that myself. Happy care-free days!

Before it was called Motorcross/Motocross, it was Scrambling. As a kid, when Saints were playing away, I used to love watching scramblers like Vic Eastwood, Dave Bickers and Jeff Smith. They almost exclusively used to ride British bikes, mainly 4-strokes, but occasionally 2-strokes, which had better power charcteristics in certain situations.

Here is Dave Bickers on the 250cc Villiers 2-stroke engined, Greeves, with their famous aluminium framed front and headstock, with leading-link front forks.

Jeff Smith is on a 440cc 4-stroke BSA Victor. Murray Walker commentating as always. Great stuff.

That brings back memories,used to go with my dad in the '60's? Saw the likes of Eastwood,Bickers.