The Golf, thread 187

saint_stevo

Right, every 6weeks or so this light comes on-

Insufficient_Coolant_Message.jpg

but without the writing underneath, i top up my coolant and all is well.

I guess somewhere i must have a leak, but there is no signs of one under my car as i am pouring the water/coolant in when i top it up.

Worth getting some of that gap plugger stuff and pouring that in?

Also, when i put my foot down, it takes a while before anything happens, sort of jerks around a bit with the revs increasing but the car going nowhere. Related?

Edited by saint_stevo

Partially blown head gasket..? Wait until the engine warms up thoroughly, then get someone to blip the accelerator while you hold your hand or a mirror next to the exhaust. If you get appreciable moisture, that's where your water is going.

If it is this, there is a product called Steelseal, It's a US Product, and if it is suitable for the problem you have, and if you adhere to the manufacturer's instructions, it will cure it.

Partially blown head gasket..? Wait until the engine warms up thoroughly, then get someone to blip the accelerator while you hold your hand or a mirror next to the exhaust. If you get appreciable moisture, that's where your water is going.

If it is this, there is a product called Steelseal, It's a US Product, and if it is suitable for the problem you have, and if you adhere to the manufacturer's instructions, it will cure it.

Cheers, i'm driving to Basingstoke from Southampton tomorrow so will give it a whirl after that, and if so i'll look into Steelseal.

Check/replace EGR valves and/or Oxygen sensor

The what? How much? What will this do?