PS3 error code 8001050F

Block 5

I've been unable to get on to the PSN today.

It seems that I am not alone.

Anyone with an old style PS3 (ie NOT slim version) will have the same problem.

You will notice that your clock has reset to 31/12 and you will have lost trophies, some dynamic wallpapers and perhaps saved game data; and even downloaded games may be corrupted.

This looks like a SERIOUS problem for Sony.

The advice is don't even try to play any games. I have switched mine off and I won't be switching on until Sony have sorted the necessary firmware update etc....

More here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/mar/01/games-sony

The only official (ish) word that I could find from Sony is on the PS3 forum.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/PlayStation-Network-Error-8001050F/td-p/10305008

Also, try keeping an eye on Sony's tweets (Stevo)!

http://twitter.com/SonyPlaystation

Edited by Block 5
Hello Stevo, would you like some tweets?

Seems like it is affecting all the types of PS3's then and not just the old ones.

If that update has killed my PS3 with 3 days until i get Bad Company 2 i will not be a happy camper!

Sony have 'tweeted' that Slims appear to be unaffected.

:confused:

Ah right, i was just reading on a Kotaku site which a few posters mention they have the problem with their slim.

They did a bit of investigating and this is the problem

"The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and **** explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)

from SRK.

So all I know is, the bizarre date has caused the anti-piracy measures to kick in, screwing you out of most PS3 titles. PS1/PS2 physical games should still work. Not PSN, though. and us.playstation.com wasn't really hacked, either.

Sorry to all of you who are worked up about this, but I find it kinda exciting. Sucks if this is permanent, though"

So basically they fooked up on the memory or something

Ah right, i was just reading on a Kotaku site which a few posters mention they have the problem with their slim.

They did a bit of investigating and this is the problem

"The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and **** explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)

from SRK.

So all I know is, the bizarre date has caused the anti-piracy measures to kick in, screwing you out of most PS3 titles. PS1/PS2 physical games should still work. Not PSN, though. and us.playstation.com wasn't really hacked, either.

Sorry to all of you who are worked up about this, but I find it kinda exciting. Sucks if this is permanent, though"

So basically they fooked up on the memory or something

thanks for that.

Be nice to have a massive re-call so we can all go get shiney new systems. I was wondering when my insurance runs out because mine has been crashing more regularly with more flashy games and I wonder if it's now a bit tired after 2 years....

I saw that on the other thread.

Is it the special sony screwdriver?

I used Phillips screwdrivers. Plenty of youtube vids on how to take apart a PS3 but I think I did more harm than good yesterday. The beers probably did not help either.

The Guardian reporting that people have lost saved games and trophies etc and even PS3's that have never been connected to the internet have the same problem

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/mar/01/games-sony

Did not realise how big a problem this was

I'd say that every (non slim) console in the world amounts to a pretty big problem!

I'd say that every (non slim) console in the world amounts to a pretty big problem!

Yeah that is a pretty huge feck up right there.

So if the offline consoles that have never even been connected to the net have the problem then that must mean it is something built into the consoles from when they were made.

Lots of people saying they might have to do a mass recall but i think that is probably going to be ********. But then again it has been a day almost, so maybe it isn't so simple to fix.

Hopefully they will be able to sort out a firmware patch.

I can't see Sony undertaking a recall.

Can you imagine how many units that would involve globally?

If they did, would it just be for consoles that are still under one year old and thus covered by the warranty?

I've done a bit of reading on this from various sources and you guys have pretty much covered everything.

Although, I have read that not all "fat" PS3's are affected. Seems to be varied results. Having tried mine yet, have to check when I get home.

I have one question though. If it is a PSN problem and not a calendar/clock problem, does that mean we're not entitled to any sort of free 'sorry gift'?

I've read discussions where people are demanding things like "x amount of money to spend in PS store" etc, but the terms and conditions apparantly say that because PSN is free, you're not entitled to anything.

Just a thought, but if the issue relates to maths on the parsing of a date , then surely those of us that havent turned our boxes on today, will be fine tomorrow?

Passed (or parsed (lol)) my mind as well

WARNING: Geek alert!

Just a thought, but if the issue relates to maths on the parsing of a date , then surely those of us that havent turned our boxes on today, will be fine tomorrow?

Surely it will still handle the problem as the BIOS is never free from a source of power (unless the battery runs flat, which it wouldn't have) and so will internally change the date anyways.

But then if it is an issue within the memory then perhaps you will be ok if you leave it off today ?? I have not had mine on since friday and will wait until a fix is out before turning on anyways.

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.

When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following

message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been

signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.

When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears

on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install

trophies. Please exit your game.”

When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the

Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date

and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”

Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the

PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

From the Sony site. Oh well.

Ah well, i guess that prooves once and for all then that live is better simply because they have **** loads of people to work on stuff like that.

PSN is free so in terms of going online and playing games or using any of those things you can't really complain. But the fact it has basically bricked my PS3 meaning i can't even play any games offline is pretty bad.

As someone else mentioned on one of those news pieces it makes you wonder what else could be in the system that could go wrong, that whole PS3 is faultless bubble has well and truely been burst.

Let's just hope they bring it back up soon as i want to play heavy rain before the mrs gives me a list of things to do!

Yeah probably wise to not switch it on if you don't have a slim version.

What i don't get is how are they going to fix those ps3's that are not connected to the internet which will be millions and millions. A lot of people still don't even have the internet so a simple download to a usb would not work unless you get it from a mates house or something.

http://www.breakingnewsandsport.com/ps3-error-code-8001050f/619825/

That report makes it sound like you can still play games. I've been playing FF8 in anticipation of next weeks big release. As that won't have any trophy data (being a PS one game) anyone think it might be safe to play??? If I spend another night at my pc, I'm going to go bankrupt spending money at Screwfix, Amazon and other special interest sites!!!!