England Team for Last Test

Um Bongo

Glad to see Harmison back in the team - I think there are major doubts about Sidebottom's back, which would explain his being dropped - or maybe that should be 'rested' ;). I can also understand the need to beef up the bowling for a must-win match (a 3-0 series loss would be unthinkable, 2-1 is at least vaguely respectable). I assume there was no certainty about the final selection when Bopara was called up; no other explanation would make any sense!

Glad to see Harmison back in the team - I think there are major doubts about Sidebottom's back, which would explain his being dropped - or maybe that should be 'rested' ;).

I think there's also doubts as to whether Sidebottom is actually any good against the top Test sides.

It's all well and good getting excellent figures against the likes of the West Indies and New Zealand, but it's the likes of South Africa and Australia that are the real test.

Harmison and Broad come back in from Vaughan and Sidebottom.

Strauss

Cook

Bell

Pieterson

Collingwood

Flintoff

Ambrose

Broad

Anderson

Panasar

Harmison

Like the look of that side. Lots of bowling in there. I dont see why Bopara was called up to begin with. Dont suppose he'd bowl much, so is his batting up to test cricket?

Anyone know why Sidbottom has been dropped? Form, or just not the right wicket for him?

Like the look of that side. Lots of bowling in there. I dont see why Bopara was called up to begin with. Dont suppose he'd bowl much, so is his batting up to test cricket?

Anyone know why Sidbottom has been dropped? Form, or just not the right wicket for him?

His back's been playing up - they reckon he was bowling well below 80mph in the second innings at Edgbaston. You won't trouble Smith and his boys with that...

I think there's also doubts as to whether Sidebottom is actually any good against the top Test sides.

It's all well and good getting excellent figures against the likes of the West Indies and New Zealand, but it's the likes of South Africa and Australia that are the real test.

Fair point - didn't he do well against the likes of Sri Lanka and India though?

I wonder if Simon Jones will ever find his way back into the team?

I would've chosen him over Harmison, but either will do as a straight swap for Sidey-B, who should never have played while obviously unfit.

Ever so slightly confused by the selection nearer the top of the order. I'm glad to see Broad back in, as his runs would've made a lot of difference last time out. But frankly I'd have brought him back for Collingwood, who for me needs to play more than one good innings to convince me he's worth the gamble. Bopara, seeing as they put him in the squad, should've got the nod to replace Vaughan. Although I reckon they should have called up Key or Shah.

I suppose KP and selectors will want to give a chance to the existing team before they start making wholesale changes. It needs to be a last chance for some though, notably Bell, Collingwood, Ambrose and Strauss. Quite clearly Ambrose shouldn't be there in the first place. But Strauss and Bell both need to play proper quality innings to save their test skins; they need to prove that they can stand up to scrutiny, not just score when there's no pressure.

my money would be on an england victory, in 4 days. all pumped up for the new boss, SA won't exactly take it easy but the series is won, suprised they're not playing one or two squad players, but still think england will prevail...

I'm really pleased to see Harmy back, and I hope Jones returns as well, genuine pace is needed at this level or unremitting accuracy-Mc Grath.

I would have kept Collingwood as he can graft an innings out, and is a useful change bowler.

I just hope KP can control his wilder instincts. Captaincy is a considerable burden, my son even at village cricket level always scores more when he doesn't captain. He says its very difficult to concentrate solely on YOUR batting.

Cambsaint

I'm really pleased to see Harmy back, and I hope Jones returns as well, genuine pace is needed at this level or unremitting accuracy-Mc Grath.

I would have kept Collingwood as he can graft an innings out, and is a useful change bowler.

I just hope KP can control his wilder instincts. Captaincy is a considerable burden, my son even at village cricket level always scores more when he doesn't captain. He says its very difficult to concentrate solely on YOUR batting.

Cambsaint

Well said Camb Saint, Sidebottom is a control bowler with an old ball to tie an end up but I always think Anderson is a more likely wicket-taker if it swings and KP sees this too. Great to see Harmy back, he did deserve to be dropped after his rubbish in Hamilton but how many tall 90mph venom bowlers are there in world crickert, let alone England? Mahmood is much-improved since he played in Australia so I'd take him to India as he can reverse-swing the ball at 90mph and hope Simon Jones stays fit. Let's hope we can get rid of Moores though - counties boy although I was sad to see Vaughan go - fine captain but his knees have had it.

Harmison needed to get a serious amount of overs bowled to get his rythmn back, hopefully that's now sorted.

Sidebottom is a left handed copy of Hoggard, if it ain't swinging there is no threat. Hoggard imo would be a better choice.

Anderson, imo, is a quality bowler with still more potential to fulfill. Likewise Broad.

Jones - Can he really recover fully from 2 hideous injuries to lead an international attack? on a flat Indian wicket, can he really bowl the 50 -60 overs that would be needed, bearing in mind that Flintoff is in the same boat?

If I were to pick the team now, it would be:

Cook, Strauss, Bell, KP, Colly, AN Other (hell why not Dimi :D ), Broad, Ambrose, Freddie, Anderson, Monty.

The selectors are going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later... a batting line-up with Flintoff and Ambrose at 6 and 7 is just weak... averaging barely 55 as a pair.

Flintoff is 30 now and will only ever a be a bowling all-rounder, ie when his bowling doesn't more or less justify a slot on its own (it does at the mo) you can't pick him.

Ambrose is just not good enough... if he were an oustanding WK there'd be an argument for persisting with him, but he isn't.

The selectors are going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later... a batting line-up with Flintoff and Ambrose at 6 and 7 is just weak... averaging barely 55 as a pair.

Flintoff is 30 now and will only ever a be a bowling all-rounder, ie when his bowling doesn't more or less justify a slot on its own (it does at the mo) you can't pick him.

Ambrose is just not good enough... if he were an oustanding WK there'd be an argument for persisting with him, but he isn't.

The selectors are going to have to drop the top order batsmen who apart from KP are not performing consistantly.

I'd give Bopara, Shah and Key a chance and pick either Prior or Foster as wicket keeper.