1.4 S Reg Corsa - problem

Summers

Hi Guys, anyone who has a clue about Corsa's can you help me?

My problems are...

1, Speedo cable is intermittent

2, Starter moter constantly needs a whack (with the lucky 7 iron!) to get it working

3, Handbrake doesn't work.

Obviously point #3 Means I need a new cable for the handbrake, but what about the other two points and where would you suggest looking for parts?

Hi Guys, anyone who has a clue about Corsa's can you help me?

My problems are...

1, Speedo cable is intermittent

Who knows? Speedo cable or speedo I'd guess!

2, Starter moter constantly needs a whack (with the lucky 7 iron!) to get it working

Get a new starter motor. Try Ebay.

3, Handbrake doesn't work.

Get rear brakes checked. Could just need adjusting, drums could be fooked, cable could be knackered.

Obviously point #3 Means I need a new cable for the handbrake, but what about the other two points and where would you suggest looking for parts?

Hope that helps!

The handbrake thing is most likely that the cable has become slack, you can get this tightened for a vary small price from your local garage. The starter motor is something else entirely, they are quite expensive for what they are so you will want to get it reconditioned if you can. Im not sure where it is on a corsa but if you can easily take it out with whatever skill level you are with engines and such, you'd be saving yourself alot of money, ive done it a couple of times on the coulple of saxo's ive had, its a NIGHTMARE on one of those, awful placement though, could be easier on a corsa.

Take it to Easteligh batterys and spares once you get it out (nightingale avenue, hes a great bloke) and he will take yours and give you a fixed up second hand one for a fraction of the price of a new one.

Handbrake made a pingy type sound, so reckon I need a new one of those, its the speedo i'm really having a problem with! Starter motor and Handbrake cable i can get from euro car parts down the road

But I get an engine management light that comes on every now and then. It seems to come on roughly until the speedo starts working properly, however with my car is it a sensor, as opposed to a cable which determines how fast i'm going/picks up on the problem, aka alerting the engine?

Probably a cable, does your speedo needle move smoothly or like it's on a rubber band? If it's the latter it's got a cable, first thing is to check it's tightened enough at both ends, if yes and still not working then it might be the actual cable is knackered. Try asking on some Vauxhall or Corsa forums as the geeks on their might know of an easy fix to a know fault that a dealer wouldn't admit to.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/vt107974_start0_orderasc.html