Derby in for Pereplotkin

Psycrow

Read on F365 earlier today that Derby County are trying to sign Andrei Pereplotkin from Skonto Riga. He's been on trial there and has really impressed, he also played in a friendly match between them and FC Utrecht and impressed.

I think it would be an awful shame to see him go to another english club. He's 23, would fit in with our youth policy and if he's good enough for Derby, he's good enough for us. After all the excitement about him when he was with us, and all the efforts to get him a work permit, it would be very disappointing to see him playing here, not in red and white.

I know money is tight, but if we have money lying around (and we did scrape some together for Schneiderlein) we should really try and scrape some together for Andrei...if there is any way at all we can.

If he has been playing that well in Latvia, I am surprised Gary Johnson at Bristol City did not go in for him, as he usually has his finger on the pulse as far as Latvia goes.

He was good in the Saints younger teams but could not get a work permit and originally went to Eire to play. Interest to see if he still has got the goal touch, but not against us.

Benitez has also railed against the work permit system this morning as one of his South American signings has been refused. We signed Mido as an 18 year old from Ghent and hit the same barrier and possibly Adebayor as well. Would be great to see Andrei back at the club but unless we can move one of the older pros on, I'm not sure it could happen.

Latvia are a member of the European Union so a work permit isn't a problem anymore. Seeing how hard Lowe tried to keep Pereplotkin I'd guess we stand as good a chance as any if we tried to sign him. He spent a fair while here so knows the area and I guess still knows a few players. I'd imagine this would be exactly the type of player we'd be looking for if we have any money (and it probably wouldn't be a huge outlay).

Don't forget the mighty Jay Lucas too...............

The club chose to let Lucas, Peters and McDonald go though because they didn't make the grade. If I remember correctly there was talk of Pereplotkin getting a game in the first team at 17, the only reason he was let go was because he couldn't legally play here

Don't forget the mighty Jay Lucas too...............

Remember reading a whole double-page article on him in one of the nationals, saying how Saints had pulled off one of the coups of all time by getting him to the club, that he was going to be better than Harry Kewell (this was when Kewell was at his best for Leeds, btw), etc, etc.

Now he's at this tin-pot outfit:

http://www.marconifc.com/default.htm

The club chose to let Lucas, Peters and McDonald go though because they didn't make the grade. If I remember correctly there was talk of Pereplotkin getting a game in the first team at 17, the only reason he was let go was because he couldn't legally play here

Correct, there was a TV documentary covering the academy at the time and it covered the weekly saga of whether "Shev" was going to get a work permit or not. As well as Jay Lucas, remember Tim Sparv as well, a midfielder that we allegedly beat Man Utd and Liverpool to? He's now currently in the lower leagues of Scandinavian football.

Whilst at Saints, 'Shev' was on a student visa and therefore couldn't play for anybody apart from the Academy. At that time he was Ukranian and had no chance of getting a UK working visa. I think the original idea was to loan him out to Bohemians so that he could gain an Irish visa allowing him to also work here but that loophole was closed. Now of course he is Latvian (by adding a 'S' to both his forename and his surname) and an EU citizen, therefore entitled to work anywhere in Europe.

Appologies for a completely random post - I can't start a thread.

Is any one else a bit confused about us signing Tommy 'rain' forecast??

I assumed his arrival would mean kelvin or bart heading off, but in fact they seem to be above tommy in the pecking order.

I know it was some kind of deal to do with gareth bale's money owed to us, but if we're not gonna use him, seems a bit silly!

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...