Chickens

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

As there doesn't seem to be a single think in the universe that is beyond the wit and whim of at least one person on this forum, I am moving house shortly to a rural property in the Test Valley. Large garden and the missus wants to keep chickens so we are looking for someone who can sell some POL Rhode Island Reds or RIR crosses and maybe Marans, preferably vaccinations completed as per DEFRA regs.

Also looking for a decent sized run and coop to house about twelve large birds.

Over to you chaps, thanks.

As there doesn't seem to be a single think in the universe that is beyond the wit and whim of at least one person on this forum, I am moving house shortly to a rural property in the Test Valley. Large garden and the missus wants to keep chickens so we are looking for someone who can sell some POL Rhode Island Reds or RIR crosses and maybe Marans, preferably vaccinations completed as per DEFRA regs.

Also looking for a decent sized run and coop to house about twelve large birds.

Over to you chaps, thanks.

I have 10 Wyandotte chickens that I am done with. You can have the lot for £300 though some are now too traumatised to lay eggs. Also there is no paperwork, hence the cheap price. I kept them in a big box and they are used to that and seem to like it, so this will save you money on a coop.

PM me for me deatils.

DS I know nothing about poultry but at last years Royal Berks Show at Highclere there was someone selling lots of diferent breeds. As a townie I was amazed at the range, some were quite magnificent creatures. Personally I'd love to have the time to keep and race pigeons like my Granddad did, good luck to to you. Are you buying them to breed or for their eggs btw? Is it an expensive hobby/interest and how much were you planning on shelling out?

Two large turkeys available for immediate collection if you're interested. Charming, but very messy creatures. Personally I'd seek expert advice before considering keeping birds of this size. Definitely better off outdoors.

Possible part exchange for a hamster or gerbil.

I just chatted about this to my friend who breeds pheasants, he hadn't heard of Rhode Islands, but he is selling some beautiful Lady Amherst Pheasants, which he recommends. If you want to get in touch, send a pm.

When I was a kid we had a Rhode Island Red named Clara.

One of our neighbours has a couple of chicken and they are truely free range, they come into our garden

and eat our cats food. I chase them away with a water pistol, but I would never hurt them at all.

Edited by Saint in Paradise

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
DS I know nothing about poultry but at last years Royal Berks Show at Highclere there was someone selling lots of diferent breeds. As a townie I was amazed at the range, some were quite magnificent creatures. Personally I'd love to have the time to keep and race pigeons like my Granddad did, good luck to to you. Are you buying them to breed or for their eggs btw? Is it an expensive hobby/interest and how much were you planning on shelling out?

Getting them mainly as pets who produce food. We will have a very large garden and will let them roam around during the day. My mother in law kept Marans and you wouldn't want to argue with them. In fact I remember reading in the paper a week or two ago that a couple of Marans killed a fox who tried to eat them.

Do Salisbury still have a cattle market? If so get some there.

I bought a load of birds at Salisbury auction a couple of years ago, when I got them home they were all covered in mites around the vent, and when I mean covered I mean crawling. :smt117

It is weird that this thread appeared actually, because once a week I volunteer at a City Far near me, and they are offering incubators for sale or rent.

The incubators cost around £140 usually but they are second hand and they are selling them cheap for £50 tops. They automatically turn the eggs for you and hold up to 50.

They are perfect for Speckley (sp?) roosters, which is what the City Farm is over-run with, but they also work well with Sussex and Cochin.

I am assuming that you are looking for 4 or 5, but they have ten for sale and I you wanted I could negotiate a decent deal for them all. I am on quite good terms with the people who run it and they are desperate to get rid.

On keeping chickens for a number of years i would not buy any pure breed again as they are costly to buy and you are always looking over your shoulder for mr fox and dogs etc,we have 8 at the moment and they produce for us,great tasting eggs.We did have 10 but a dog got into the run and ate them.

Next time we need to buy more stock i will buy some ex battery chickens,which for a number of years after you have had them they will still lay.

• 3 weeks later...