Poortvliet knows side for Cardiff

Saint Charlie

From BBC:

Southampton head coach Jan Poortvliet will field eight players under the age of 23 against Cardiff on the opening day of the Championship season.

Ten of the players that started the 3-2 friendly defeat to Stoke on Tuesday will play at Ninian Park.

Michael Svensson will also figure after being rested and will make his first appearance since November 2005.

"I'm excited about what these players can achieve," head coach Jan Poortvliet told BBC Radio Solent.

"The team have played together in a number of games now, they've been doing very well and I believe in them.

"Let these boys start and see how they go. I think they did well against Stoke in a physical game, but I think they can do better."

Pretty much what we knew, is nice to read the bolded bit, that style of management shows he knows what he is doing with young players, it is now up to them to justify this faith in them...

How can MS play? I didn't think he had a contract.

That is a very good point...

Isn't it more a question of holding his registration as a player? If we do, then he's allowed to play for us and for nobody else (without our say-so). The contract is an agreement between player and club as to payment, length of time tied to club and so forth.

Players have been known to play without contracts before, I believe.

You don't need a contract to play, you need to be signed on (registered). We always kept Killer's registration, even whenhis contract expired. Not having a contract never stopped CB Fry from playing:)

Yes, but has he coughed up his fiver yet?

How can MS play? I didn't think he had a contract.

doubt if you need one -as long as registered as a player. Contract is about how he is paid etc -if he is happy while it is being negotiated then can't see it as a problem

edit -sorry jumped in with reply before seeing half a dozen others answered it -still new to this forum stuff hope to get the hang of it soon!

Edited by NickG

I have no idea what to expect on Saturday.

It is a bit of a head/heart job.

My heart says we will rip Cardiff a part with fast flowing passing and movement, my head says we will play like that , be very entertaining, but lose 1 nil to a fluke or goal mouth scramble.

Can't see us losing on Saturday. Even with their strong home support, I'm expecting a one goal win at Cardiff with a clean sheet. So 0 - 1 to Saints, and a few people having to start eating their words, not just in Southampton, but in the press as well. What a reception they will get at the SMS if they do manage this!

I think the most likely start to the season is we play well, look threatening but make a few crucial mistakes that cost us games. We won't mind initially saying 'well, if we play like that then we'll win more than lose'. This will go on for a month or so and the team will lose a bit of spark because they're not winning and the crowd will start to grumble. This will degenerate into an ever decreasing circle where the players feel less confident and as a result the crowd get on their back making them even less confident. JP will go defensive saying 'we need to keep clean sheets' - we probably will do but at the expensive of any flair. We'll wonder why we were excited at the start of the season.

JP and the dutch revolution will be sacked just before the transfer window closes in January. We'll get a traditional manager in but he won't be able to bring anyone in. He'll probably hold the world record for standing up straight and shouting a lot. The football will remain the same. We'll escape relegation on the last day of the season and then appoint a new revolutionary coaching setup.

Oh and we might be taken over......but we probably won't.

Can't see us losing on Saturday. Even with their strong home support, I'm expecting a one goal win at Cardiff with a clean sheet. So 0 - 1 to Saints, and a few people having to start eating their words, not just in Southampton, but in the press as well. What a reception they will get at the SMS if they do manage this!

That's nothing to the reception Lowe will get if we do as predicted and lose our opening three games. I'm well up for a LOWE OUT camapaign as are a good many others. I doubt you and the other internet Luvvies will crawl out from under your rocks to speak up away from your computers.

That's nothing to the reception Lowe will get if we do as predicted and lose our opening three games. I'm well up for a LOWE OUT camapaign as are a good many others. I doubt you and the other internet Luvvies will crawl out from under your rocks to speak up away from your computers.

why wait till we lose?

why not start on sat and see how well it goes the following week etc?

losing is only playing on peoples imediate reactions..

I like the concept of what is being done. I like the "vote of confidence" that this will give to the youngsters.

I think it is important to START this season having a level of self confidence and belief instilled in the youngsters.

I think they will have good days and they will have bad days.

I also STRONGLY believe that once we get past the transfer window and see who has been able to be sold to help the finances and who has been left behind is when we will see JP start to EARN his lowely (sic) salary.

At that point our season will really hang on how JP can bring those wiser old heads into the machine that he wants to have on the pitch.

I feel certain that by October we will see kids but also a more realistic blend of the youth and experience.

Saturday is their big day the youngsters have earnt it, they will learn a lot win lose or draw as will our management team. How they respond to the lesson is for me the most critical issue.

Go home to your own forum Tris!

Go home to your own forum Tris!

ah...the enigma that is SF76...he who bans people from his website...who dare give lowe a chance in any shape

like I said...If he feels that strongly, why wait tll we lose a couple..EVERY team in this division will lose a couple..why should he wait til we do..why not start his 'LOWE OUT' campaign on sat then again in the week and follow it up with the other who are "right up for it" at home against brum..

????????

People who are sick and tired of the Anti-Lowe stuff are not Lowe Luvvies, they just recognise how damaging to our club it has been to conduct these campaigns. Its hard to understand people who pretend to support the club, yet behave in a way that gives us a bad reputation in football in general. This matters, because the anti-Lowe stuff costs the club money and may even make it harder to persuade players from playing for us.

This thread is about football, yet again an obsessive anti-Lowe individual is more interested in the boardroom than in the football.

People who are sick and tired of the Anti-Lowe stuff are not Lowe Luvvies, they just recognise how damaging to our club it has been to conduct these campaigns. Its hard to understand people who pretend to support the club, yet behave in a way that gives us a bad reputation in football in general. This matters, because the anti-Lowe stuff costs the club money and may even make it harder to persuade players from playing for us.

This thread is about football, yet again an obsessive anti-Lowe individual is more interested in the boardroom than in the football.

Erm nothing on this forum actually has any impact. I doubt any player about to sign will say to his agent, 'hold on, forget the talks about wages - let's find out what the forum views are first'. To be honest your posts are as pro-lowe as many others are anti lowe so you're hardly the voice of reason.

ah...the enigma that is SF76...he who bans people from his website...who dare give lowe a chance in any shape

like I said...If he feels that strongly, why wait tll we lose a couple..EVERY team in this division will lose a couple..why should he wait til we do..why not start his 'LOWE OUT' campaign on sat then again in the week and follow it up with the other who are "right up for it" at home against brum..

????????

Why not just get behind your team 100% and cheer every good bit of football you see from them ....crazy idea , but it might just work

I am/was anti Lowe. You have to go to the matches to protest. When you see how this team play and how the crowd reacts to it, you will forget about Lowe.

If you start a Lowe out chant be prepared for an angry reaction from the majority. The crowd are on the side of the team and won't stand for it.