The Australian Grand Prix Thread

Arizona

They said on Radio this morning that the Virgin cars did not have big enough fuel tanks to enable them to finish the next four races!

is that True?

True and irrelevant. Neither VR will make it to half distance without breaking down.

End of Q2 Hamilton was 11th

Country Driver Team

1 Germany S Vettel Red Bull

2 Australia M Webber Red Bull

3 Spain F Alonso Ferrari

4 Great Britain J Button McLaren

5 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes

6 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes

7 Brazil F Massa Ferrari

8 Germany A Sutil Force India

9 Brazil R Barrichello Williams

10 Poland R Kubica Renault

From the BBC Sport page

Edited by Saint in Paradise

Race Start Positions From the BBC

Position Country Driver Team

1 Germany S Vettel Red Bull

2 Australia M Webber Red Bull

3 Spain F Alonso Ferrari

4 Great Britain J Button McLaren

5 Brazil F Massa Ferrari

6 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes

7 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes

8 Brazil R Barrichello Williams

9 Poland R Kubica Renault

10 Germany A Sutil Force India

11 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren

12 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso

13 Italy V Liuzzi Force India

14 Spain P de la Rosa BMW Sauber

15 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams

16 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber

17 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso

18 Russia V Petrov Renault

19 Finland H Kovalainen Lotus

20 Italy J Trulli Lotus

21 Germany T Glock Virgin

22 Brazil L di Grassi Virgin

23 Brazil B Senna Hispania

24 India K Chandhok Hispania

How have virgin been able to make such a mistake? Surely the price of fuel has nothing to do with it, just the ability to hold enough... this cant be good for the whole of the virgin team. oh dear
I've heard a rumour, a strong one mind, that they're not the only Cosworth powered team to have undersized tanks and that this other one really should know better! Apparently, again unsubstantiated rumour, they were supplied fuel economy data that has proved to be slightly optimistic and will have to run the first 10 or so laps in fuel-saver mode. They'll be running very lean, hot, and slightly underpowered.

To be fair, the casual observer (myself included) will probably not notice this in the general melée and tight formation of the opening laps.

Great drives by Button, Kubica and Alonso

Great to see Chandhok finish the race also.

It was exciting that race, I fear that was mostly down to the rain though. At least the next race in Malaysia the Sepang track provides a few overtaking opportunities

Jensons smooth driving style may well pay off over the season with his ability to look after his tyres

I fear it may not be that simple, as the other drivers on the whole managed to keep the tyres sweet too. The tyres are too durable and can last the race distance, driving style, while having an effect, will not effect it to the degree where it can be utterly decisive for race results.

Great drives by Button, Kubica and Alonso

Great to see Chandhok finish the race also.

It was exciting that race, I fear that was mostly down to the rain though. At least the next race in Malaysia the Sepang track provides a few overtaking opportunities

But it does provide a lot of rain.

Great Grand Prix I thought. Polar opposite to the season opener! Lots of good drives from people, especially Button & Kubica. Would have been interesting to see the outcome if one (or both) the Ferraris had got past the Renault though. Would have been even better I suspect.

Great Grand Prix I thought. Polar opposite to the season opener! Lots of good drives from people, especially Button & Kubica. Would have been interesting to see the outcome if one (or both) the Ferraris had got past the Renault though. Would have been even better I suspect.

To me they didn't look all that interested in Kubica. Though Hamilton and Webber looked more likely to challenge the Ferrais if anything. Thinking back, there wasn't all that much action when the track dried out. Overtaking looked pretty difficult, especially when you consider Schumi was stuck behind Jaime Algae all race.

I disagree ;)

For me it was just a shame that Button's tyres were a couple of laps warmer than Robert's on lap 10/11 when he overtook him. I can only imagine the outcome if Rob had stayed in front of Jense at that stage.