Speedway 2010

chrisobee

New season is just about to start. Unfortunately I don't have Sky Sports so am not going to be able to watch as much as I'd like. After their dismal showing last year Poole actually start this season as strong favourites to regain the Elite League title. The signing of Darcy Ward looks a superb one and with Chris Holder, Bjarne Pedersen, Davey Watt and Jason Doyle the top 5 looks to be the strongest of all the teams.

I do like the look of Belle Vue Aces with their signings of Hans Andersson and Peter Karlsson.

Peterborough and Lakeside along with Swindon look the best of the rest to me, no doubt for me Eastbourne will struggle in spite of signing Matej Zagar.

Chrisobee. Speedway is a motorsport. You can have it in the motoring section.

Don't mind, wherever it is most likely to be viewed. I think we have had speedway threads in both sections in the past so although I thank my friend Deppo for his support I'm happy for it to be moved.

Was half thinking of going to Swindon tonight for Swindon v Poole friendly, but will probably save cash for a few more meetings during the season proper.

Would like to do a new "away" track this year- possibly Ipswich or Peterborough.

Would like to do a new "away" track this year- possibly Ipswich or Peterborough.

Peterborough is probably a better bet IMO, and its closer. Ipswich is OK but you are a long way from the racing due to the stock car track. P'boro you can get virtually up to the fence, and there is a bar with a beer garden on the first bend, very civilised!

Barry Briggs, Bob and Tom Oakly, Peter Vandenburg, Cyril Roger, George Bason, Bert Croucher, Bjorn Knuttson, Cecil Bailey, Alf Kaines, Alf Bottoms, to name but a few. I saw them all from about 1947 and not with my dad!

At the age of 9/10 I wasn't allowed to go on my own !!

Excellent stuff, didn't realise Briggs was with Southampton 1961/63 so I would have seen him aged between 6-8. Still such great memories though, I can even remember how upset I was when we sold the Banister Road Stadium. Dreadful decision !

I met Barry recently at one of the Speedway Days held at Sammy Millers Museum in New Milton. A lot greyer but still a big guy and amazing to see him on a speedway bike again!! Bought his excellent DVD from him.

http://www.skysportsdvdshop.co.uk/Motor-Sports/Speedway/CHAMPION---BARRY-BRIGGS-DVD.aspx

Well worth a look.

I met Barry recently at one of the Speedway Days held at Sammy Millers Museum in New Milton. A lot greyer but still a big guy and amazing to see him on a speedway bike again!! Bought his excellent DVD from him.

http://www.skysportsdvdshop.co.uk/Motor-Sports/Speedway/CHAMPION---BARRY-BRIGGS-DVD.aspx

Well worth a look.

Thanks, ordered and on it's way :D

You may find this interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eek6tgQHJ_8

Wow! That brought back wonderfull memories. It was a joy to see that so familiar place again. I nearly always stood at the fence on the first bend and I remember having to pull myself up at each race to see over it. Towards the end the same fence was waist high to me, So you can see how long I was a supporter. Tuesday night was always speedway night and nothing took preference over that.

• 4 weeks later...