The Malaysian GP Thread

Michelle

I hope those of you of the "dull and boring" opinion are watching.

"Lewis Hamilton" is all I need to say.

Once he'd got past all the slower cars on the screwed up grid, he got stuck behind the Force India, and was lucky that Button got his tyre change completely wrong. How much overtaking was there in the last 20 laps ?

Good to see Red Bull getting it right finally. Shame Button got his tyres wrong.

Promising results for Kubica, Sutil, Algae and the new teams who managed to finish the race. Also nice to see Schumi getting his arse handed to him by Rosberg.

yet another procession in the end. Yes Lewis had a good run but thats about it. The Red bulls were unchallenged and i was theres to lose. Is a shame that Mclaren and ferrari messed up their qulifying otherwise it could have been interesting but when the only highlights were Alonso losing his engine and Webbers pit crew getting the gun stuck you know FIA needs to do something to stop fans from switching off

Good race but gutted for Vitaly. Lewis should have had a drive through for his antics down the pit straight but ultimately it would have made no difference to Petrov so who cares?

I dont agree, isnt is a question of who was reacting to who.

If Petrov moved 1st and then Hamilton moved to block, then he should have a drive through....

If Hamilton moves 1st and Petrov moves to stay in his slip stream, then he shouldnt.

I saw it as the latter happening.

I dont agree, isnt is a question of who was reacting to who.

If Petrov moved 1st and then Hamilton moved to block, then he should have a drive through....

If Hamilton moves 1st and Petrov moves to stay in his slip stream, then he shouldnt.

I saw it as the latter happening.

Yep, that was my interpretation of it too. I just saw it as racing and I think it would be a terribly sad state of affairs if we started punishing people for that. Hamilton was just trying to shake Petrov from the slipstream. There was no block and therefore no real potential for an accident. If there was it would have been because Petrov was deliberate weaving to stay behind Petrov.

There is a precedent from Canada in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDdqvhBIEw

In this instance it appears Hill moved first in the first weave and Schumacher first for the second. Dodgy driving from Hill, but he did technically only move once to block Schumacher and didn't move in the breaking zone. Racing incident IMO. It went unpunished BTW.

Yeah, but the single move rule came in after that, Ari.

I was always under the impression that the single move rule was more to stop people moving about in the braking zones.

Also as Arizona said, Hamilton wasn't blocking Petrov but trying to break the slipstream, which is slightly different.

Sensible stewarding I thought, for once.

Nope, weaving is definitely frowned upon. Petrov could've made a move at any time along that straight. Alright, it probably wouldn't have come off but the opportunity was taken away by the dangerous weaving. Regardless, it's not something that bothers me as the clutch gave up anyway but I'm not surprised he got a warning for it.

I was always under the impression that the single move rule was more to stop people moving about in the braking zones.

Also as Arizona said, Hamilton wasn't blocking Petrov but trying to break the slipstream, which is slightly different.

Sensible stewarding I thought, for once.

No doubt Hammy would try and claim that, but it's blatantly obvious that his weaving was designed to prevent Petrov making any kind of move on him.

Hamilton strikes me as too ambitious and a little bit unsporting. I have no doubt whatsoever that if he was ever in the situation where taking somebody out would hand him the title, such as was the case with Schumacher and Hill in 1994, he would not think twice about it.

No doubt Hammy would try and claim that, but it's blatantly obvious that his weaving was designed to prevent Petrov making any kind of move on him.

Hamilton strikes me as too ambitious and a little bit unsporting. I have no doubt whatsoever that if he was ever in the situation where taking somebody out would hand him the title, such as was the case with Schumacher and Hill in 1994, he would not think twice about it.

In fairness to Hamilton though, he moved first, Petrov followed him. There was nothing to stop Petrov just carrying on in a straight line when Hamilton moved to the other side. Petrov however chose to stick behind Hamilton.

If Hamilton had moved once and Petrov had stayed on the other side, they would have just raced parallel down the straight as normal. That's not a dig at Petrov, you can see why he was trying to stay in the slipstream.

To me it's just racing. It would be sad to discourage what little overtaking there is by punishing minor offences like this.

In fairness to Hamilton though, he moved first, Petrov followed him. There was nothing to stop Petrov just carrying on in a straight line when Hamilton moved to the other side. Petrov however chose to stick behind Hamilton.

If Hamilton had moved once and Petrov had stayed on the other side, they would have just raced parallel down the straight as normal. That's not a dig at Petrov, you can see why he was trying to stay in the slipstream.

To me it's just racing. It would be sad to discourage what little overtaking there is by punishing minor offences like this.

The reason a driver wouldn't make a move to break the tow and go for it is precisely beacause the driver in front is weaving. That's the point! Petrov had no idea where Hamilton would weave next if he'd pulled out of the slipstream and gone alongside.

That's why it's considered dangerous and that's why Hamilton got a warning for it.

The reason a driver wouldn't make a move to break the tow and go for it is precisely beacause the driver in front is weaving. That's the point! Petrov had no idea where Hamilton would weave next if he'd pulled out of the slipstream and gone alongside.

That's why it's considered dangerous and that's why Hamilton got a warning for it.

I personally don't think what Hamilton did was excessively dangerous (obviously motor racing is inherrently dangerous to a degree), I think it was good racing.

If Petrov had been making the moves first and Hamilton moving across to block him thats another matter.

I appreciate that the rules say you can only move once but I don't neccesarily think that works as an all-encompasing term.

Prob worth pointing out I am not a McLaren fan or a big fan of Hamilton in particular.