Toyota Corolla

saint_stevo

I’ve just sold my old 1999 Corolla after owning it for five years. During that time, absolutely nothing went wrong with it despite ragging it constantly. It still drove fine when I sold it. I have just replaced it with a 2005 Corolla T Sport and fingers crossed, the luck will continue. Build quality in mine appears fine and Toyota’s are always close to the top of any reliability surveys. Apparently official parts can be expensive but I’ve never had to buy any. Blue Print do cheap parts for jap cars that are pretty good. I use a local ex Toyota mechanic to do all my servicing who is very reasonable.

I’ve no experience of the diesel models but would recommend being wary of any modern diesel. To comply with emissions and get more power, they have started getting pretty complicated. Things like direct injection, dual mass flywheels, particulate filters etc will cost a fortune if they go wrong. Unless you are doing a mileage that warrants a diesel, you may be best off with a petrol. I seen a couple of posts on a Toyota forum about the EGR valve on diesels getting clogged up and needing to get cleaned. Does not seem to be a difficult job.

People will always say they are boring cars which is just following the stereotype much like french cars having crap electrics, italian cars rotting and two seater convertibles only being suitable for hairdressers. Certainly my car if anything but boring from 6k to 8k rpm. At the same time, the unfashionable image means cheap insurance and no chaved up corsa trying to get a race at the lights.

The T Sports are quite nice, but they aren't quick when compared to their direct rivals of the era. That said, I've had a few Toyotas over the years, a Supra, A Celica GT4, A non-turbo Celica and two MR2s. The only fault I can recall in any of them (apart from their insistance at getting crashed) was the big ends starting to go in the GT4 but that hard a very hard life.

Seriously, all Japanese cars are well built and Toyotas are up there with the best.

I echo what $$$ says about modern diesels though. They're just not worth the effort nowadays.

If think Saint-Stevo, that if you'd have been a bit kinder to your Golf, it may have been a bit more reliable. You do realise that WVs tend to be reliable, even if you maltreat them a bit. That's where they've achieved the reputation and loyalty from owners, after all. However, not every VW can have had the distinction of an ant infestation, and almost any VW is not going to stand wheel-to-wheel with a Toyota and be more reliable. You're probably making a good choice in changing. What about a 6th or 7th generation Celica though..? What a cracking little car..!

Sixth

1970-toyota-celica-histor-11w.jpg

or Seventh

1970-toyota-celica-histor-14w.jpg

Quite nice, though my favourite was always a Fiat Coupe. But tbh, I wouldn't turn one of these down, after a zip down the road on a bike. They must be easily affordable to the average VW owner, and plenty of them around.

EDIT: I read you need economy..! Do you know about progressive throttle, rather than flooring it, all the time..? :)

Edited by St Landrew

Currently got a '55' plate Corolla "Colour Collection" (1.6 VVTi petrol, alloys, air-con, climate control) Had it a couple of years and no problems at all so far. If I had to make 1 complaint, it's maybe a little "thirsty" for urban driving but does fine on the open road.

My previous car was a '99 Corolla 1.3 petrol which I had from new, owned it for about 9 years and the only thing I recall going wrong with it was the switch in the boot which controls the "boot open" lamp on the dash board - cheap and simple to fix though.

One thing I noticed about the newer Corolla is the "sturdiness" of the thing. The old Corolla was a bit light-weight, but the current one is built like a tank - the doors feel nice and solid and make a very satisfying "clunk" sound when they close, comparable to a German vehicle in that respect :)

Until I have a bad experience with one, I expect I'll continue to buy Toyotas (the wife has a Yaris which we've also been very pleased with) Like others have said, they are often perceived as "boring cars", but I think that's unfair on the latest Corolla, a very smart looking hatch back IMHO. Still, to me, a car is an appliance so as long as it works and doesn't cost me a lot, I'm happy with that!

StL- Surely you dont buy a GTi as a 21yr old and be kind to it? that was 3 years ago now, nearly 4 and the money i have wasted on that heap of junk currently cluttering up my parking space makes my palms start to get clammy..............im just glad the ants buggered off (good memory, btw)

I think the Corolla could be the beast for me, DEF gonna go diesel with the little ****er though, we shall see. Interview thurs for a new job with a mental job title that could mean ££££ may mean the purchase comes sooner rather than later.....

Unless you're doing loads of miles you should go for a petrol engine, otherwise the thing with 3 letters will bugger up and cost you £££.

I know lots about cars, if you need to know anything else, give me a shout.