Roof bars

toofarnorth

I have a 2006 Seat Ibiza and need to get roof bars to transport a kayak. Others I know have had a bad time with generic roof bars from halfords etc due to them not having a perfect fit. This led to scratches on the roof and small dents. I've asked my local dealer and they say SEAT no longer do bars for my model. Has anyone else with a small sized car bought generic roof bars and how have you got on with them? Any advice welcome.

Depends on how urgent it is, you could always start a search on eBay; you can define the search and it will send you an email when you get a hit. Another method is an inflatable roofrack but i havn't tried it myself. Oh and if you go for generic bars try quality brands like Thule, if you're on your own when fitting them cover the edges of your roof with towels or similar to prevent scratches and/or cover the 'feet' of the roofbars with socks/tea towel/cloth to prevent damage.

Edited by swannymere

Depends on how urgent it is, you could always start a search on eBay; you can define the search and it will send you an email when you get a hit. Another method is an inflatable roofrack but i havn't tried it myself. Oh and if you go for generic bars try quality brands like Thule, if you're on your own when fitting them cover the edges of your roof with towels or similar to prevent scratches and/or cover the 'feet' of the roofbars with socks/tea towel/cloth to prevent damage.

Cheers for the advice. No hurry so will try ebay.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
How many did you have before that sounded funny (in your head)? :rolleyes:

About a dozen. Sorry...:(

• 1 month later...

Guess you may be sorted by now but I've used Thule for a few decades transporting boats, sailboards & most recently kayaks & canoes in a business capacity & cannot fault them for fit or strength.

Once you have the bars (I currently have the aerodynamic ones...still whistle but quieter) you only need to buy the feet when you change your car & this is less, of course.