Signings

Weston Saint

Dexter rejects three-year deal with Kent

Cricinfo staff

September 16, 2008

Neil Dexter has turned down the offer of a new three-year with Kent, and as a result will miss the county's remaining Championship matches against Lancashire and Durham.

A report in the county's official website stated they had been in discussions with him regarding a long-term future, but he rejected their proposals.

"We are bitterly disappointed that Neil has decided not to pursue his future career with Kent," Graham Johnson, Kent's chairman of cricket, said. "We have done a great deal to help him with his development as a cricketer during his time with the club.

"We have offered him a three-year contract that would have provided him with an outstanding opportunity to make the most of his undoubted talent. It is a great pity that he does not feel able to take advantage of this opportunity."

The South Africa-born Dexter has played 29 first-class matches since his debut in 2005, scoring 1339 runs at 40.57. In June, he was loaned to Essex, but he regained his place in the Kent first team in July and, in what turned out to be his final innings for the county at the end of August, made 105 against Yorkshire.

It is reported that a number of other counties are interested in securing his services.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/369922.html

The last I heard Michael Brown was denying he was going.

He has a year left on his contract and unlike football it is a little more difficult just to move counties in such circumstances.

I know Michael is unhappy over not being picked enough for 1 dayers. I also know he can easily give up and work in the city but I suspect we will have him hear next season.

Why would he want to go to Surrey anyway. Money is not a problem to Michael from what I have heard. Surrey are in disarray. His future is with us.

Wait and see Berkshire, I hardlly think that both Andrew Flintoff and Stuart Law would

publically slate the decision, if they both thought he was over the hill, and had nothing

further to offer anyone.

Agreed and the Lancashire fans are up in arms about him being released as well.....

I think it is an inspired signing and we may well have another batsman on the way too.

Agreed and the Lancashire fans are up in arms about him being released as well.....

I think it is an inspired signing and we may well have another batsman on the way too.

Not sure which Lancs fans are up in arms but the ones I spoke to at the rained off Pro 40 game at the Rose Bowl who travel all over the country in a minibus watching Lancs said he was finished.

His stats for last season seem to back that opinion up.

I just think we have enough all rounders in Dimi, Ervine and Dawson not to need him although I think his attitude in the dressing room will be good. He was obviously popular with the players at Lancs for both Law and Flintoff to publicly slag the hierarchy for releasing him.

Would still have much rather kept Brown than signed Cork though.

Have thought more about this.

We do not have an out and out experienced role model bowler in the squad. Cork has been there, done it and has the on and off field experience.

He will help our bowlers in the nets with tips and encouragement and when playing will be able to offer that bit of advice to a bowler that might just make a difference.

Remember Bond telling Tremlett to cut down his run. It has helped his bowling and "fitness" a bit.

Also a bit of sun on their backs and I can see Carberry, Lumb and Benham coming good next season on a more consistant basis. For the latter I think it may be a make or break season but he has undoubted talent.

i'd heard carberry was off (could have been mentioned on here?) as he'd not settled since moving from kent....

as for cork. hasn't excited me, but i'll pass judgement after a few drunken visits next season. im missing cricket already :(