Donny Rovers

ladysaint

Guest Hacienda
will be a new ground for me so thought I would make a weekend of it, anyone been to Donny recently and can tell me what its like for a weekend away.

Don't is the answer. It really is as bad as you can imagine.

Make the extra effort and stay in York.

Well, I live in Doncaster (but originally from So'ton) and if you're over 21 - go to York.

There are a lot of pubs and clubs in Doncaster that attract youngsters from afar on Friday and Saturday nights and if that's your scene then you'll probably enjoy it.

There are plenty of (possibly) cheap hotels around as well. There's a Travelodge and a Premier Inn along with others that are within walking distance of The Keepmoat Stadium.

I can't remember the last time I had a night out in Doncaster town centre as I am well past 21.

Well, I live in Doncaster (but originally from So'ton) and if you're over 21 - go to York.

There are a lot of pubs and clubs in Doncaster that attract youngsters from afar on Friday and Saturday nights and if that's your scene then you'll probably enjoy it.

There are plenty of (possibly) cheap hotels around as well. There's a Travelodge and a Premier Inn along with others that are within walking distance of The Keepmoat Stadium.

I can't remember the last time I had a night out in Doncaster town centre as I am well past 21.

Thanks for the info Donny Saint, so it is on a par with Blackpool without the trams and rides.

Guest Hacienda
Thanks for the info Donny Saint, so it is on a par with Blackpool without the trams and rides.

Blackpool looks sophisticated in comparison.

Doncaster ? Don't even think about it ! I was a student there in the late 70's around the time that "Open All Hours" was being made - it was filmed close to where I lived then. But, my gawd, what a sh*te hole it was and probably still is. I wouldn't say it was bad but they pulled my old street down and built slums to improve it. It really was the P*******th of the north. Some of the women were OK though, I seem to remember doing quite well.........Oh to be 22 again !!!

I was at the Keepmoat last Sunday. It's a small, compact but really impressive stadium with large concourses and really well marshalled bars. Loads of parking around the complex but seems to be only one road in and out, so takes ages to get out after the game.

The wife and I had a long weekend in York a few years ago, some good places to eat and a wonder round The Shambles is very interesting.

If you want good real ale, head for the Maltings. Norvik museum is fascinating if you are having a long weekend.

If you want good real ale, head for the Maltings. Norvik museum is fascinating if you are having a long weekend.

I think you'll find that's the Yorvik museum!

York is a cracking night out - less popular than it used to be Harrogate seems to be the IN place.

The Maltings is a lovely little pub - voted the best away pub by the Bournemouth supporters in 1998 (?) I think.

York is OK - but closer than York is Selby... now there's a strange place!

I think you'll find that's the Yorvik museum!

York is a cracking night out - less popular than it used to be Harrogate seems to be the IN place.

The Maltings is a lovely little pub - voted the best away pub by the Bournemouth supporters in 1998 (?) I think.

York is OK - but closer than York is Selby... now there's a strange place!

The wife and I have some friends that live in Barlow just outside Selby.