sony vaio laptop

scaramanga

girlfriends laptop is painfully slow . dont know what she has done but for some reason it shows that it has 2 hard drives...c and d. it appears that every program is running from drive c and it has about 1% free space where as the other drive,d, has 99% free space ! any ideas what can be done, can i some how make it 1 hard drive again or can i shift some programms to the other drive and if i do that will they all run ok together. i am no computer expert so any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks :D

Edited by scaramanga

You don't actually have two hard drives. Being a laptop, you only have one physical drive but it's been divided up into two partitions or logical drives.

A disk partitioning tool will allow you to remove the unused D: drive, then expand the C: drive to take up the space freed up without losing any data (hopefully).

My wife and i both have Vaio's and both have "2" drives. To help eleviate your problem move some of the files (photo's, video, documents etc) to the other drive. Dont move programme files though, unless you know what yous are doing.

As for the slowness, she probably has loads of stuff running in the background, press "ctrl" "alt" "delete" at the same time to check how many processes are running.

Col.

You need some kind of disk partitioning tool.

However, if you don't know what you're doing, this carries a risk of losing all your data.

Also, I doubt a full C: drive is the real cause of your laptop running slowly.

It would if windo$e is using 'virtual memory', and is using up all the remaining space on the 'c' drive.

As Red n White said, move all of the documents / pictures etc to the 'd' drive and that should solve the problem - easier than reconfiguring windo$e virtual memory if you don't know what you are doing...

My wife and i both have Vaio's and both have "2" drives. To help eleviate your problem move some of the files (photo's, video, documents etc) to the other drive. Dont move programme files though, unless you know what yous are doing.

As for the slowness, she probably has loads of stuff running in the background, press "ctrl" "alt" "delete" at the same time to check how many processes are running.

Col.

Also worth remembering is that if you move anything (Progs, files etc) that any shortcuts (desktop Icons etc) that currently point to those items will no longer look in the correct drive for them and you'll get the little 'torch waving about in the breeze' message!