G-phone/Android

saint_stevo

When they're clearly trying to out iPhone the iPhone, I see no indication that either Google or T-Mobile have any idea of how to out.

1. The Price

It might be free on one of the more expensive contracts, but so is the iPhone. UK prices for lower tariffs tbc. Like it or not, the iPhone is a status symbol. The first reaction will not be, "Wow! It's the same price as an iPhone!" No, the reaction will be, "Wow! I can get an iPhone for the same price? [or "not much more?"]"

2. The Storage

It does not allow saving of media to internal storage. Which makes sense since it has none. You a phone with a 1 GB MicroSD card. Whoops! There goes any savings if the price is lower on lower contracts! And the GooPhone is expandable only to 8GB making a potential iPhone negative, the lack of expandable memory, irrelevant since the basic free/£99.00 iPhone ships with 8GB out of the box; 16GB if you want it.

3. The Keyboard

I know the Blackberry dorks will whine, but its done. The physical keyboard is no longer going to be acceptable to most people because of the the size, weight, and complexity it adds to a phone. Apple has set the standard for thin smartphones and that's just the way it is.

4. No Exchange Support

I assume the pundits will sqwawk endlessly about how this makes the GooPhone a non-starter in businesses as they did with the iPhone. And looks like they were right.

5. Media

No onboard media player, Amazon MP3 store only. Need I go on?

6. Headphone Jack

The hordes screeched when the original iPhone's headphone jack was screwy because it was recessed and didn't work with many standard headsets. Well guess what? The GooPhone's jack doesn't work with any standard headsets as it is a proprietary plug.

You'd think they might have learned the lesson of the iPod: you are going to have to be significantly cheaper and better than the iPhone to hope to beat Apple. Similar price and similar features aren't going to cut it. Because you damn sure ain't gonna win on style.

Surprisingly, I agree with you on almost every point. The main disagreement is over your description of the iPhone as a "status symbol". Given that plenty of Joe Publics have the iPhone, I'd hardly describe it as a status symbol.

As for the keyboard, it works fine on any phone as long as you don't have fat fingers. Even the on-screen keyboard on the iPhone isn't totally fatty-proof... ;)

You need to remember that this isn't the 'Google Phone'. It is an HTC phone with the Google Android OS on it. Everyone seems to go about comparing the phone to the iphone. The big thing here is the OS - it adheres (kinda) to open standards, and it is going to be an extremely flexible and popular system for manufacturers to use. The problem as I see it it its current interoperability with MS docs/exchange/lotus etc rendering pretty useless for the corporate market.

Lets see what other phones appear - not that i expect too many as Nokia have symbian, SE have their OS and Blackberry use RIM - none of them will take this up so its only independent OS competitor is Microsoft

Sorry Essruu. But half of what you said is wrong.

• Uk models will come with a 3.5mm adaptor jack in the box. Only the first batch of US models wont.
  • It does have a media player built in. Its not all online on Amazon, thats just one place to buy and preview songs.
  • The Sidekick series and HTC Tytn/Varios/XDA prove that people want qwerty keypads. Personally I think the iPhone keyboard is ****, I have small hands and even after all this time, still have to make lots of corrections.
  • Onboard storage - it does have internal storage - only 256mb, but who cares? What difference does it make if its removable - dont take it out? I see that as a benefit that its all swappable to start with. Ands its 2Gb not 1Gb.
  • Price - £40 gives you what on iPhone. Try 800 minutes, unlimited texts and internet. You get 600 minutes, 500 texts on iPhone and internet. £5 more for 200 minutes and not having to pay £99 for the phone!

It has some awesome other features too. Things like true HSDPA which in theory is 4x faster than the iPhone and as o2 have the smallest 3G/HSDPA out of all the big 5 networks. Android market is open so far more apps will be available. Copy and Paste anyone?

I have an iPhone, am not trying to slag it off. Just being honest, I just think the G1 will be damn good.

Unlimited texts is a big thing for me, i send upwards of 2500 a month so thats why im yet to join the iPhone bandwagon.

Assuming you sleep for 8hrs and are awake and texting for the other 16hrs in a day, that's approximately one text every 10mins of every single day, including periods when you're at working or at school (it's difficult to gauge your actual age on here, you may be older than your intellect and lack of maturity suggests). I suggest you forget any thoughts of buying a new phone/contract and, instead, start saving for a life.

On the keyboard issue, my HTC TYTN has a slide out keyboard and its AWESOME. I've used the iPhone, and whilst it accomplishes what its trying to do, it's not even comparible to the keyboards on teh HTC's, on which I can type very quickly. I've had my TYTN for a year now and wouldnt swap it for anything. (except perhaps a TYTNII)

Assuming you sleep for 8hrs and are awake and texting for the other 16hrs in a day, that's approximately one text every 10mins of every single day, including periods when you're at working or at school (it's difficult to gauge your actual age on here, you may be older than your intellect and lack of maturity suggests). I suggest you forget any thoughts of buying a new phone/contract and, instead, start saving for a life.

LOL. i'm 23 'mate'

I have needs to send that amount of messages. It's part of my business.

HTH