Olympic 2012 Mascots

doubleonothing

I suppose they cost another 400K?

The whole Olympics is a big waste of money, and being British it will be a spectacular failure.

Well I for one cannot wait till the Olympics. I will be saving most of my holidays in 2012 to get to as many Olympic events as possible.

Well I for one cannot wait till the Olympics. I will be saving most of my holidays in 2012 to get to as many Olympic events as possible.

I wouldn't worry about saving holiday, they only last two weeks. Then we are just left with a massive debt and useless stadia that will probably never be properly used again.

I wouldn't worry about saving holiday, they only last two weeks. Then we are just left with a massive debt and useless stadia that will probably never be properly used again.

Errrr

Maybe you need to take a look round the 2012 website, because then you would know that nearly all of the venues are already in existance... such as....

Wimbledon

Earls Court

o2 Arena

Wembley Stadium

Royal Artillery Barracks

Eton Dorney

ExCel Arena

and other venues were being built regardless of a succesful bid.

And every single venue has a use after the Olympics.

Edited by StuRomseySaint

and other venues were being built regardless of a succesful bid.

And every single venue has a use after the Olympics.

Yeah, the £80mill velodrome will come in well handy.

Can't think of anything better to spend our cash on whilst we are laying off nurses and police to try and bring down he national debt.

Can't think of anything better to spend our cash on whilst we are laying off nurses and police to try and bring down he national debt.

Err... we are the best nation in the world at track cycling, so why shouldn't there be a decent facility to support it? Oh.... because it's not football.... :rolleyes:

Well done on picking one venue though.... even though it is remaining as the national Velodrome after.

I take it you live in a world full of grey ?? Buy the Daily moan and have points of view on series link ??

And one more thing aintforever... and a very important point...

The general British taxpayer is going to pay hardly anything for the games. The London council tax payer and national lottery are the main sources of income to pay for the games... so I am not sure why you are so worried when you live in Fareham?

I think you might need to do some more research into the games to come up with an informed opinion maybe?

The Olympic Games is the greatest event on earth... I for one cannot wait to see it come to England for what will probably be the only time in my lifetime.

The mascots are great, with clever names and back story. I'm really looking forward to the Olympics, it will be one of the best things to happen to this country for ages. The regeneration it is creating in East London will be remarkable and the impact it will have on the nation will be huge. My daughter will be 8 when its on, she's bound to be inspired by the whole thing.

To moan about it is too easy.

Err... we are the best nation in the world at track cycling, so why shouldn't there be a decent facility to support it? Oh.... because it's not football.... :rolleyes:

Well done on picking one venue though.... even though it is remaining as the national Velodrome after.

Do you really think there is demand for a £80mill National Velodrome after the 2 weeks are up? What is the average attendance at a cycling competition?

It will end up like half of the facilities in Athens, derelict, unwanted and costing more to maintain than they are worth.

I enjoy watching the olympics but just think the money could be better used elsewhere.

Do you really think there is demand for a £80mill National Velodrome after the 2 weeks are up? What is the average attendance at a cycling competition?

It will end up like half of the facilities in Athens, derelict, unwanted and costing more to maintain than they are worth.

I enjoy watching the olympics but just think the money could be better used elsewhere.

You've picked the one and only venue where it 'might' be questions as to why it is needed, although the current national velodrome is in Manchester, and there isn't a decent one in London.

Great Britain are world leaders in track cycling so for that reason only they deserve world class facilities as a reward for their success.

And, as the majority of the bill is picked up by the Londoners... it's not really any of our business. :-)

No venue in London is going to end up derelict and unwanted... there is a use for anything in that city... I remember people saying the same about the Millenium Dome... which is now the premier indoor concert venue in Britain.

I wish we'd never won the Olympics. A complete and utter waste of money.

You've picked the one and only venue where it 'might' be questions as to why it is needed, although the current national velodrome is in Manchester, and there isn't a decent one in London.

Great Britain are world leaders in track cycling so for that reason only they deserve world class facilities as a reward for their success.

And, as the majority of the bill is picked up by the Londoners... it's not really any of our business. :-)

No venue in London is going to end up derelict and unwanted... there is a use for anything in that city... I remember people saying the same about the Millenium Dome... which is now the premier indoor concert venue in Britain.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I think its easy to get caught up in the hype when all the "legacy" and "inspiration" crap is banded about by politicians on the gravy train but fact is, a week after it's finished it will be a distant memory, we will regret getting into that much debt for the sake of two weeks of sport.

Why do we not have anything attached to the games that reminds you of Britain and being British? First the logo then some weird robots. What a shame.

what is british....ask this question in this country over the last decade and people will tell you that you are a little englander or something...

We will have to agree to disagree.

I think its easy to get caught up in the hype when all the "legacy" and "inspiration" crap is banded about by politicians on the gravy train but fact is, a week after it's finished it will be a distant memory, we will regret getting into that much debt for the sake of two weeks of sport.

The last estimate of the cost I can find was in 2006 and the figure was £10 billion. It makes the £800 million spent of the millenium dome look like loose change.

what is british....ask this question in this country over the last decade and people will tell you that you are a little englander or something...

I'm not talking about idiot people. I'm sure you have a perfectly good idea of what being English and British can be. I agree with you though, this could have been a great event to celebrate everything great about being British but it's been diluted to some awful graffiti logo, some robots and those shocking breakdancers from the Bejing closing ceremony (how was that in any way British?). I just feel it's been a real missed opportunity.

The last estimate of the cost I can find was in 2006 and the figure was £10 billion. It makes the £800 million spent of the millenium dome look like loose change.

Which includes MASSIVE regeneration of East London, which is so badly needed and also includes a significant rise in funding to our sports federations, which all bodes well for the future.

And don't look at it as £10bn lost as the majority of this will be recovered in revenue from the games, and the most of the rest moving forward from the legacy and venues etc of the games.

Yes we might be £1bn down at the end of it or so... well we won't, the London Council Tax payer will.

I don't understand why so many people who don't live in London are so bothered about the cost... although I have no doubt that NorwaySaint will pitch in with his 2 pence in a minute. :rolleyes:

Which includes MASSIVE regeneration of East London, which is so badly needed and also includes a significant rise in funding to our sports federations, which all bodes well for the future.

And don't look at it as £10bn lost as the majority of this will be recovered in revenue from the games, and the most of the rest moving forward from the legacy and venues etc of the games.

Yes we might be £1bn down at the end of it or so... well we won't, the London Council Tax payer will.

I don't understand why so many people who don't live in London are so bothered about the cost... although I have no doubt that NorwaySaint will pitch in with his 2 pence in a minute. :rolleyes:

Well said, i live in london, have done for many years (GM, does this makes me an ex-pat...?) and i dont really have a problem with contributing - as you say, most of the venues are already in existence, and i can say from 1st hand experience that these things do leave a legacy, maybe those moaning should reserve their judgement until after the games and see what happens.

Sport of all types helps people to empower themselves and try and achieve something of themselves. There are very few accessible public facilities available in london, so i dont see how this can be a negative thing - comparing it to the Athens Olympics is ridiculous, as the 2 countries situations are massively different.

I'm sure 90% of the British people who actually attend the olympics will not have contributed not a single penny (apart from maybe buying a lottery ticket or 10)

It would be nice if occasionally people did not try to jump on the media bandwagon of "oh, such a waste, nothing in return, we brits will mess it up etc" and actually look into the situation little more.

I'm not talking about idiot people. I'm sure you have a perfectly good idea of what being English and British can be. I agree with you though, this could have been a great event to celebrate everything great about being British but it's been diluted to some awful graffiti logo, some robots and those shocking breakdancers from the Bejing closing ceremony (how was that in any way British?). I just feel it's been a real missed opportunity.

this has been happening for years...

people question the dilution of british culture and certain people will jump down your throat..

people on here do it..bridge too far, thorpe le saint etc

Why do you think we have a world class cycling team? The velodrome that was built for the commonwealth games in Manchester has been used daily turning our cyclists into world beaters. A second world class facility in another part of the country we help us stay the best.

Oh cheer up for God sake - What about if we win the right to host the 2018 World Cup? I guess that will be a massive waste as well?

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

The whole Olympics is a big waste of money, and being British it will be a spectacular failure.

Don't think so! They said they're likely to recoup over £70 million in merchandising just linked to the mascots.

Why do we not have anything attached to the games that reminds you of Britain and being British? First the logo then some weird robots. What a shame.

Aren't the mascots supposed to be made of steel? I think that's the link to Britain.

Well said, i live in london, have done for many years (GM, does this makes me an ex-pat...?) and i dont really have a problem with contributing - as you say, most of the venues are already in existence, and i can say from 1st hand experience that these things do leave a legacy, maybe those moaning should reserve their judgement until after the games and see what happens.

Sport of all types helps people to empower themselves and try and achieve something of themselves. There are very few accessible public facilities available in london, so i dont see how this can be a negative thing - comparing it to the Athens Olympics is ridiculous, as the 2 countries situations are massively different.

I'm sure 90% of the British people who actually attend the olympics will not have contributed not a single penny (apart from maybe buying a lottery ticket or 10)

It would be nice if occasionally people did not try to jump on the media bandwagon of "oh, such a waste, nothing in return, we brits will mess it up etc" and actually look into the situation little more.

I probably wouldn't be so against them if I thought we were getting value for money but since that logo was unveiled, at a cost of £400,000, it became obvious to me this thing would cost way more than it should.

I work in the design industry so know how much these marketing companies rip people off, I also know people involved in big public projects who tell me about the blank cheque culture when dealing with tax payers money.

The thing that annoys me the most is how they always announce how it's gone over budget as if no one is to blame (Wembley stadium, dome, now Olympics). No one is held accountable or fired. You have politicians on the gravy train with their pet consultants and agencies on the take, everywhere money is being creamed off and ultimately it's all at our expense.

I will enjoy the Olympics when they are here because I like sport but with the current financial state I would rather the money spent on other vital services or industries.

There's enough of a problem with people running around London full of drugs, without adding to the numbers with athletes.

Should have let France have it, then the people who want to watch it can hop across and do so, without leaving the rest of us with a massive debt. I would rather the money was spent on grassroots sport facilities for all to use.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
spelling

I probably wouldn't be so against them if I thought we were getting value for money but since that logo was unveiled, at a cost of £400,000, it became obvious to me this thing would cost way more than it should.

I work in the design industry so know how much these marketing companies rip people off, I also know people involved in big public projects who tell me about the blank cheque culture when dealing with tax payers money.

The thing that annoys me the most is how they always announce how it's gone over budget as if no one is to blame (Wembley stadium, dome, now Olympics). No one is held accountable or fired. You have politicians on the gravy train with their pet consultants and agencies on the take, everywhere money is being creamed off and ultimately it's all at our expense.

I will enjoy the Olympics when they are here because I like sport but with the current financial state I would rather the money spent on other vital services or industries.

Fair enough, and i see your point, to which you are entitled.

As with most things, there are good and bad sides to it.

What a stupid comment. Manchester was a massive Commonwealth Games success and the legacy is ongoing with new housing, social amenities etc.

Use the track at Calshot - aint nothing wrong with that :rolleyes:

Also I suggest you do your research on the track use at Manchester ! Track meetings held most evenings with the track in contant use for training etc during the day...& dont forget their is a bloody big area in the middle that can be used for basketball, badmington etc so it's not exactly gonna lay empty after the Olympics

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/events_calendar.html

Clearly you have no idea about velodromes.

The one in Manchester was built for the Commonwealth Games and has acted as the foundation for all our Olympic cycling medals ever since.

There are well attended events going on most weekends and that is not limited to cycling as the middle is used for other sports, drama and even dance.