EDL - Young, British and Angry

SuperMikey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sh6xp/Young_British_and_Angry/

Quite an interesting look into some of the internal processes of the English Defence League. Well worth a watch.

It's disgusting to see some of the stuff that goes on at these marches. Fair enough, there's a hardcore contingent who are actually there for the cause (whether it's racially motivated or not), but the majority of EDL members just seem to be p!ssed up hooligans out for a fight, as you'll see with every single demonstration in the film. They may be campaigning for a cause, but that cause just seems to be forgotten every time they go out on a march and pick a fight. I think the time is right for the new government to stamp down on this kind of thing, although it will probably alienate a very large sector of the electoral roll, so I doubt any party will have the cojones to try.

Waving an Israel flag, that's just insult to injury. They don't seem to grasp the fact that Al-Qaeda aren't going to be popping in for morning prayer every day, it's going to be local Muslims, people like the protesters but with a different faith and set of beliefs. There was an application to build a Super Mosque turned down in the West Country recently I believe, which is rubbish because there's only one mosque in a 50-mile radius of where the Super Mosque was meant to be built.

The EDL really do have such a blinkered ideology, they think that by disrupting the lives of normal Muslims it'll somehow stop the 'extremists' that they're protesting against. Utter morons.

Waving an Israel flag, that's just insult to injury. They don't seem to grasp the fact that Al-Qaeda aren't going to be popping in for morning prayer every day, it's going to be local Muslims, people like the protesters but with a different faith and set of beliefs. There was an application to build a Super Mosque turned down in the West Country recently I believe, which is rubbish because there's only one mosque in a 50-mile radius of where the Super Mosque was meant to be built.

The EDL really do have such a blinkered ideology, they think that by disrupting the lives of normal Muslims it'll somehow stop the 'extremists' that they're protesting against. Utter morons.

Yes but why was the "Super Mosque" application turned down?

****wits/Lads; what is the difference?

Oh, by the way, a very witty 'kid' quip from you earlier dune, you're obviously attending evening classes.

I'll be enrolling at your school if you ever make another remark about my family.

Who's old enough to remember the Brixton and Toxteth riots of 1981?

Were these people just thickos and idiots as already mentioned?

Some maybe, but predominately they were 'Young, British and Angry'

For the same reasons football hooliganism was rife between 75-85 and signs are there that football violence has started to resurface, these riots simply mirrored social problems in England

In recessions this is what happens.

Whilst we continue to see unemployment and immigration simultaneously rise, we will continue to see EDL members voicing their anger

Thickos I would imagine, probably wearing buckled loafers.

I must be growing old. How intimidating the buckled loafers must have seemed. ;) When I was a lot younger, the thick yobs had shaven heads, safety pins piercing various parts of their faces and steel toe-capped Doc Martins. In fact, the look epitomised by Viv in The Young Ones.

no ,good for you whatever floats your boat and turns you on but you are old British and Angry' so your on the wrong thread:toimonster:

I am only 30. :-)

I will probably attend the march in Luton in July, probably not the Bradford one, depending on where Saints are playing on that day.

Anyone else is welcome to join me. :-) x

Serious question, what is purpose of the march in Luton? in summary what will the march involve?

The purpose is to show public support to the 2 EDL members who were charged for their reactions to the Islamic protest against the Royal Anglians last year... the 2 guys are in court that day.

I won't send you a link because I am at work so don't really want EDL on my browsing history, especially as the IT Manager is a johnny foreigner. :-)

Well said and if the everyday Muslim man gets fed up with all the jibes and votriol how will he seek to protect his family? His perception of safety. from a radicalised point of view, will be with the Muslim Extremists.

Peaceful protest is the only way because then you can get people to listen. Not the extremists of course (while you talk they are just composing their next rant) but the moderates. The EDL are not in the 'we can't live together' camp, more like the 'we will not live together camp'. Like it or not this country has changed, not as most of us would like it though. So we need to build it again for all of us, black and white, everyone irrespective of colour or creed.

Some of those characters in that documentary are naive and others are downright unsavoury including Kevin from Luton and the Seikh EDL frontman.

Moderate voices, like those two lads from Stoke (or was that a good act?) and the Imam at the Mosque, who showed that the average Muslim doesn't want to convert you or I. Those al muhajiroun idiots, leafleting were exactly 180 degrees skewed from the Imam.

The EDL extremists focus on just that sort of crap and the feeding frenzy ramps up again. Each seeming to seek to be more extreme than the other.

Immigration does need clamping down, so that we can see exactly where we are and how many we need at work to keep this country running. This, if succesful, will keep the jobless from both camps happier.

For me some of the EDL ideaology is sound but they have, sadly, let the lunatics take over.

They are obviously mainly nut-jobs but maybe causing a scene and getting attention from the media is the best way to get the immigration problem on the agenda?

Peaceful protest and rational debate is obviously the preferable way to resolve these issues but most of the youths in that programme appear to be frustrated because no one seems to listen or give a monkeys what they think.

Write a letter to your MP - the tosser probably wont even bother to read it.

Write a letter to the local paper - they probably wont publish it through fear of offending someone.

Go on a march and smash up a town centre - You get national media coverage and they are discussing your issues on Question Time.

Edited by aintforever

They are obviously mainly nut-jobs but maybe causing a scene and getting attention from the media is the best way to get the immigration problem on the agenda?

Peaceful protest and rational debate is obviously the preferable way to resolve these issues but most of the youths in that programme appear to be frustrated because no one seems to listen or give a monkeys what they think.

Now the Labour scum have been kicked out of office I can see the far rights growth diminishing.

How many of you grew up / have lived in a muslim dominated area?

If you did you might start to realise why some people have had enough are starting to stand up for themselves.

How many of you would feel comfortable sending your child to school knowing 70-80% of their classmates would be muslim and view your child as an outsider, in an area where your family have lived for years?

How many of you grew up / have lived in a muslim dominated area?

If you did you might start to realise why some people have had enough are starting to stand up for themselves.

How many of you would feel comfortable sending your child to school knowing 70-80% of their classmates would be muslim and view your child as an outsider, in an area where your family have lived for years?

Perhaps I can understand members from say Bromley-by-Bow or Stoke but how do you explain members of the EDL that join from rural areas such as the Waterside?

Serious question, what is purpose of the march in Luton? in summary what will the march involve?

they love male bonding:D and beer and pies marching and fighting before they get their dole money .

apart from that it serves no purpose apart from alot of chavs having a good time.

they love male bonding:D and beer and pies marching and fighting before they get their dole money .

apart from that it serves no purpose apart from alot of chavs having a good time.

you laugh and sneer at them..but are they going away..?

why is this..?

Well said and if the everyday Muslim man gets fed up with all the jibes and votriol how will he seek to protect his family? His perception of safety. from a radicalised point of view, will be with the Muslim Extremists.

Peaceful protest is the only way because then you can get people to listen. Not the extremists of course (while you talk they are just composing their next rant) but the moderates. The EDL are not in the 'we can't live together' camp, more like the 'we will not live together camp'. Like it or not this country has changed, not as most of us would like it though. So we need to build it again for all of us, black and white, everyone irrespective of colour or creed.

Some of those characters in that documentary are naive and others are downright unsavoury including Kevin from Luton and the Seikh EDL frontman.

Moderate voices, like those two lads from Stoke (or was that a good act?) and the Imam at the Mosque, who showed that the average Muslim doesn't want to convert you or I. Those al muhajiroun idiots, leafleting were exactly 180 degrees skewed from the Imam.

The EDL extremists focus on just that sort of crap and the feeding frenzy ramps up again. Each seeming to seek to be more extreme than the other.

Immigration does need clamping down, so that we can see exactly where we are and how many we need at work to keep this country running. This, if succesful, will keep the jobless from both camps happier.

For me some of the EDL ideaology is sound but they have, sadly, let the lunatics take over.

i think you summed it up in that post,the edl started with good intentions but have been taken over by the lunatics.

Perhaps I can understand members from say Bromley-by-Bow or Stoke but how do you explain members of the EDL that join from rural areas such as the Waterside?

Stoke? It is as white as Soton and like Soton has one ethnic enclave which is called Shelton.

Difference is that Stoke chavs love a good ruck and the EDL march was just another excuse.

I know, this is what annoys me.

You can have some of the people on the demo's who have no real understansing on the issues and you are right in what motivates them.

But I get just as frustrated listening to patronising middle-class politicians lecturing people on what is right and wrong, when they themselves would NEVER live in those areas, and would certainly never allow their children to have to go through a school like that.

Do you remember the girl in Bradford who wanted to wear a headscarf to school just so she could "fit in" ?

Personally, I have seen the best of both sides, got some great mates who are muslim and really well integrated to society, see themselves as English through and through, a lot of that comes from their parents. But there are many others who are happy to express their hatred of britain, Choudry, Abu Hamza are figure heads, but there are plenty in the schools who look up to them.

The problem the EDL are having is the infiltration of football firms who have more 'racist' views than the original may have.

The EDL is against Islamification of the British state, now I am sure that 99% of you are also against this and 99% of you would be against Sharia law, and this is what the EDL campaign against.

The problem is, there is a very real risk that in our lifetime, elements of Sharia law will come in to practice in the UK so as not to 'offend' the more extreme Muslims.