Bees

CB Saint

Have discovered a bees nest at the bottom of the garden. Any ideas on the best way of dealing with it so a) it doesn't return and b) I don't just p*ss them off and spend the rest of the weekend being chased around the garden.

Try and find a local beekeeper who will probably remove it for free and without killing the bees. In the last few years wild honey bee populations have dwindled down to almost 3% of their estimated original population. Before resorting to bee killer, steps should be taken to remove the bees peacefully, without chemicals.

Try and find a local beekeeper who will probably remove it for free and without killing the bees. In the last few years wild honey bee populations have dwindled down to almost 3% of their estimated original population. Before resorting to bee killer, steps should be taken to remove the bees peacefully, without chemicals.

That differs slightly from the advice i was going to give. If the nest is in the ground i would suggest pouring petrol down the hole and letting the fumes kill them. If that fails shove a hose pipe down the hole a leave it running for a few hours. I have found that they don't like either.

That differs slightly from the advice i was going to give. If the nest is in the ground i would suggest pouring petrol down the hole and letting the fumes kill them. If that fails shove a hose pipe down the hole a leave it running for a few hours. I have found that they don't like either.

No, I'd save that for wretched wasps TBH

No, I'd save that for wretched wasps TBH

I had a wasp nest last year (it was those little european buggers) and started off spraying a whole can of fly spray down the hole. They still lived.

Then I poured a gallon of patio cleaner down the hole. They still lived.

Then I poured petrol down the hole. They still lived.

Then I lit the said petrol. They still lived.

Finally I shoved the hose pipe down the hole and left it running cold water in for a several hours. They died.

Just sent the local association an email.

I had a wasp nest last year (it was those little european buggers) and started off spraying a whole can of fly spray down the hole. They still lived.

Then I poured a gallon of patio cleaner down the hole. They still lived.

Then I poured petrol down the hole. They still lived.

Then I lit the said petrol. They still lived.

Finally I shoved the hose pipe down the hole and left it running cold water in for a several hours. They died.

As I said, wretched things. Just will not die easily, you need a whole can of fly spray to try to kill just one. Meantime you're probably doing more harm to yourself than the wasp :(

As I said, wretched things. Just will not die easily, you need a whole can of fly spray to try to kill just one. Meantime you're probably doing more harm to yourself than the wasp :(

Yeah, but if they're in the ground you can kill them if you persevere. Sod paying for pest controllers to come in when you can do it yourself.

The next door neighbour had a Hornets nest in their roof drain pipe thing, they were a bunch of little (well, pretty big actually) c*nts.

Me and the misses woke up one night with the sound of a f*cking mini aeroplane hovering next to our ears.

I sprayed one with half a can of wasp killer before it died eventually, they just sort of look at you with anger in their eyes asking 'what the f*ck are you doing ?'

Yeah, but if they're in the ground you can kill them if you persevere. Sod paying for pest controllers to come in when you can do it yourself.

I agree for wasps but not for bees, spent 30 minutes or more last week catching one in my kitchen. Wasn't going to kill it, of course as Saint kip will say as I'm "of the bees" maybe I was one in a previous life !!

I agree for wasps but not for bees, spent 30 minutes or more last week catching one in my kitchen. Wasn't going to kill it, of course as Saint kip will say as I'm "of the bees" maybe I was one in a previous life !!

If a member of the family dies you should always tell the bee's.

After a death in the house it was most important to tell the bees - in some places it should

be the oldest occupant of the house, who must walk round each hive three times and tell

the bees the full name of the dead person three times. If this was not done the bees would

fly away - this fate befell a man in Clifton Hampden in 1926 who neglected to tell them of

the death of his daughter. In some areas it was customary to pin a piece of black crepe to

each hive, and give the bees some of the food from the funeral feast. Bees have been

connected with souls of the dead, which may explain this belief.

After all the stupid advice you have recieved, the above is the only one you should take notice of.

It is said, that when the bees are gone, mankind will die as well.

After all the stupid advice you have recieved, the above is the only one you should take notice of.

It is said, that when the bees are gone, mankind will die as well.

And it is also said that as long as Barbary Apes exist on Gibraltar the territory will remain under British rule.:)

People who say putting petrol on them , killing them etc etc just do not know what they are talking about.

What are the bees like?? If they are big and furry which sounds like it is the case as you say that they are on the ground they are bumble bees. These will NOT sting you unless you are extremely unlucky. Many of them are endangered and they are a great pollenator. Having them in your garden will ensure that your flowers and vegetables really bloom this year.

If they are bumble bees, the beekeeper will not remove them .... but you need do nothing with them as they will not harm you.

If they look more sleek and are not wasps, they are likely to be honey bees. The local beekeeping association will send someone round to collect the swarm. The beekeeper will have the bees (although you should offer a donation) and you have a problem solved. Do not disturb them before the beekeeper arrives and they will be unlikely to sting as swarms do not sting ... although they do look intimidating.

Whatever you do, do NOT kill them.

I remember when my parents dog was stung very badly by wasps and it nearly died. My idiotic halfwit sister fell into a wasps nest causing them to fly out and attack everything that moved. She was also badly stung and I believe is still allergic to this day.

Anyway they had a bees nest once and as suggested above got in touch with the local beekeeper who was more than happy to go round and deal with it.

House spiders can bite!

In 54 years NO spider has ever bitten me and I've picked up plenty and gently taken them outside. I have one scurrying along the skirting board now, not doing me any harm.

You're just heartless Jill, go on and admit it :D

In 54 years NO spider has ever bitten me and I've picked up plenty and gently taken them outside. I have one scurrying along the skirting board now, not doing me any harm.

You're just heartless Jill, go on and admit it :D

Not heartless, just terrified of them!

That's just pathetic ! My Dad was the same, I only had to approach him pretending I had a spider in my hand and he'd run a mile :D

Mr TF doesn't like them either. I'm the one who has to pick them up and put them outside.

I have been known to leave the odd tomato 'stalk' lying around :D

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

If you're talking Funnelweb or Fiddleback then I'd be off like a shot. But the UK spiders are harmless. Trouble is, if you put a house spider outside it'll be back in in a couple of ticks.

Or is that with a couple of ticks. I can never remember...

Mr TF doesn't like them either. I'm the one who has to pick them up and put them outside.

I have been known to leave the odd tomato 'stalk' lying around :D

Lol, really cruel if someone has a real phobia about spiders but most people just don't like them as they are "creepy crawlies" !!

If you're talking Funnelweb or Fiddleback then I'd be off like a shot. But the UK spiders are harmless. Trouble is, if you put a house spider outside it'll be back in in a couple of ticks.

Or is that with a couple of ticks. I can never remember...

Think it's "in within" but either way only someone like St Landrew would pick you up on it :D

Spot on. Bees should not be killed. Any person thinking of harming them is a thicko of the highest order. Without Bees we are all pretty ****ed!

Spot on. Bees should not be killed. Any person thinking of harming them is a thicko of the highest order. !

:rolleyes::smt103:smt036

Have discovered a bees nest at the bottom of the garden. Any ideas on the best way of dealing with it so a) it doesn't return and b) I don't just p*ss them off and spend the rest of the weekend being chased around the garden.

Get a beekeeper. We are running out of bees - do not kill them

Just watched a nature programme on tv about bees. It said bees were territorial and will be extinct withing 5,000,000 years. It also said, if you kill one two will take its place, if you kill a nest then two or three nests will develop. So for the good of the country, world and H.M. the Queen, get the kettle, it's bathtime.

I reckon the bees are more likely to be of the Bumble variety because honeybees are more likely to nest in a tree or bush.

As for all UK spiders being harmless, that's right and wrong, right because the ones native to the country are harmless - save 1 or 2 who can give a nasty bite.

However we do have one 'alien' species over here, the False Widow which is venomous and can hospitalize a person who reacts badly to the bite.