Last nights rude power cut

Master Bates

It killed my tumble dryer, was nice though having to light candles around the house, and no street lights meant more visible stars. It was weird at how dark it was.

Anyone know what happened? I could smell burning for about 2 hours so guessing maybe an electric box got overheated. Anyone else effected?

It killed my tumble dryer, was nice though having to light candles around the house, and no street lights meant more visible stars. It was weird at how dark it was.

Anyone know what happened? I could smell burning for about 2 hours so guessing maybe an electric box got overheated. Anyone else effected?

You don't need a tumble dryer in this weather.

Maybe his house has no garden??, Maybe his back door is nailed shut and there is no access to the garden form the back, maybe he has gazzebo set up and no room for washing line?? I'd like to know the answer now.

He could hang his washing out of the window, as long as none of it has a St George Cross on it.

Don't worry, global warming is a myth my liberal lefty limp wristed carrot top.

Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately finite energy resources, a crumbling infrastructure and the lack of a coherent energy strategy for the past thirty years are not. Worst of all has been the decline of the technology-led education and training required to deal with these challenges. Still, we don't mind paying three times as much for less-reliable energy in five or six years time, do we?

My lights kept flickering at 1:00 am this morning, was weird.

That will be switching, the burning was probably a cable that went, seeing as i dont know where MB lives i don't know.

But when lights unusually flicker or you get dark, lights, dark, lights etc for about a minute it is also switching.

HTH

Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately finite energy resources, a crumbling infrastructure and the lack of a coherent energy strategy for the past thirty years are not. Worst of all has been the decline of the technology-led education and training required to deal with these challenges. Still, we don't mind paying three times as much for less-reliable energy in five or six years time, do we?
Back to the medieval ages I say, horse and cart for me.

That will be switching, the burning was probably a cable that went, seeing as i dont know where MB lives i don't know.

But when lights unusually flicker or you get dark, lights, dark, lights etc for about a minute it is also switching.

HTH

No, there was definitely some power surging happening last night.

HTH.

My lights kept flickering at 1:00 am this morning, was weird.

HTH

No, there was definitely some power surging happening last night.

HTH.

**** sorry ! Clearly i dont know anything about the industry i work in ! Silly me !

Lol, Enjoyed that little exchange. :D

We didn't have a power cut.

Power cuts are the way forward unfortunately as there is no proper energy policy in place.

We need new generation urgently to offset the old nukes and coal power stations that go offline in a few years.

New power should come from mixed sources for both energy security and climate change reasons (I accept not all agree with the latter argument).

Mixed sources means new gas power stations and onshore wind to get stuff online quickly and then nuke, offshore wind, other renewables and possibly clean coal (CCS) afterwards as they are going to take longer to develop.

This new coalition government is no good for any of this as they have disparate views which will slow planning and construction of new power down considerably.

At the moment this coalition has agreed to scrap the recently implemented Infrastructure Planning Commission (IPC) that is meant to be responsible for big new power projects as it says it is undemocratic and unaccountable as a quango.

This will mean another postponement of new power generation while they faff about politically. Then, new local powers will further halt nukes, wind etc cos of extra NIMBY power.

It's time to get serious about all this!

Edited by TopGun

HTH

That is the biggest load of bullsh¡t I have ever heard, were you smirking when you typed it you d¡ck. Stick to cutting bell wire and iron flex in B&Q and maybe one day you may get a go on the tills. I don't know who you work for but if that is how you have been trained then I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't trust you to replace a plug top.

Mods, can we have a cowboy tradesmen forum?

Hello, a grubby lurker here.

It was time to get serious about this 20 years ago. My missus works for a company that builds power station boilers, preparing bids for future projects. According to her we're way past the line where we can maintain our power generation capabilities in the short to medium term.

Insanely high energy prices and power shortages are looking pretty much inevitable in the coming decades.

Oh and yes the French are gonna be feeling very smug.

sorry.

That is the biggest load of bullsh¡t I have ever heard, were you smirking when you typed it you d¡ck. Stick to cutting bell wire and iron flex in B&Q and maybe one day you may get a go on the tills. I don't know who you work for but if that is how you have been trained then I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't trust you to replace a plug top.

Mods, can we have a cowboy tradesmen forum?

:smt036

Not talking about household wiring you fool.

Talking about the distribution network.

Flicker can be caused by a few things, if it is regular than you are likely off the same feeder as industrial motors that draw large currents on start up, you can do something about this if it is too regular as the distribution company (in this area SSE) has a duty to move reduce flicker to acceptable levels.

If it is lights dimming and changing that doesn't happen often it is an engineer switching and backfeeding and so the load takes a few seconds to settle so you get the flickering effect.

Stick to scouring the internet for the dodgy videos.

Power cuts are the way forward unfortunately as there is no proper energy policy in place.

We need new generation urgently to offset the old nukes and coal power stations that go offline in a few years.

New power should come from mixed sources for both energy security and climate change reasons (I accept not all agree with the latter argument).

Mixed sources means new gas power stations and onshore wind to get stuff online quickly and then nuke, offshore wind, other renewables and possibly clean coal (CCS) afterwards as they are going to take longer to develop.

This new coalition government is no good for any of this as they have disparate views which will slow planning and construction of new power down considerably.

At the moment this coalition has agreed to scrap the recently implemented Infrastructure Planning Commission (IPC) that is meant to be responsible for big new power projects as it says it is undemocratic and unaccountable as a quango.

This will mean another postponement of new power generation while they faff about politically. Then, new local powers will further halt nukes, wind etc cos of extra NIMBY power.

I read a report the other day that by 2020 we will be buying 80% of our energy requirement from Europe.

Scary really, and puts our energy prices even further out of our hands.

HTH

OK, explain what you meant here then?

OK, explain what you meant here then?

Depending on where MB lives, he is either supplied by underground or overheads.

If an underground cable goes, i.e sheath goes and then the cable burns through it f*cking stinks and you can smell it from a long way away at times, especially if it burns across all 3 phases, even when you havn't exposed the fault.

Depending on where MB lives, he is either supplied by underground or overheads.

If an underground cable goes, i.e sheath goes and then the cable burns through it f*cking stinks and you can smell it from a long way away at times, especially if it burns across all 3 phases, even when you havn't exposed the fault.

If an underground cable gets damaged it would take out the transformer. MB would not smell it in his bedroom. Why would all three phases go? Unless someone put a digger bucket through it, which would wipe out a large area all night.

If an underground cable gets damaged it would take out the transformer. MB would not smell it in his bedroom. Why would all three phases go? Unless someone put a digger bucket through it, which would wipe out a large area all night.

Nah not always mate, it depends what goes, you stick a digger bucket through an 11kv or bigger than yeah the protection will trip pretty quick and like you say a larger area will be off but it could have been an LV cable that went, would only affect the customers on that cable (normally less than 75 per LV feeder)

It was only a guess, i don't know, but they do stink, and if the sheath etc gets damaged water can get in over time and cause the nuetral earth bonding to disintegrate in some older cables, then it just shorts out.

Nah not always mate, it depends what goes, you stick a digger bucket through an 11kv or bigger than yeah the protection will trip pretty quick and like you say a larger area will be off but it could have been an LV cable that went, would only affect the customers on that cable (normally less than 75 per LV feeder)

It was only a guess, i don't know, but they do stink, and if the sheath etc gets damaged water can get in over time and cause the nuetral earth bonding to disintegrate in some older cables, then it just shorts out.

Low Voltage underground mains armoured cable? Uh ok, I know where you are coming from now.

You really don't have a Danny LaRue do you?

:p