Norfolk Broads

saintkiptanui

I am off to the Broads in 3 weeks and I would like to know a few things.

1 - Is there lots of pubs along the way as the world cup will be on?

2 - Is it any good for fishing? going with the in-laws so I need to do something

3 - If it rains what do you do???

Hello Kipperface. Where are you going to be staying? Wroxham is a good central area to discover the broads. Fishing is the best in the country if you are into Esox Lucios and Zander like me.

Loads of pubs full of real ales and straw hats. Make sure you get to hire a motor boat for a day and other than that it's boring and crap. However all the women are ugly as hell. Have a great time feeding swans and looking around gift shops. X

2 - Is it any good for fishing? going with the in-laws so I need to do something

1 - NO

2 -Not really, its to busy. Find a quiet backwater and fish from the bank.

3 -Sit inside your boat and vow never to do this type of holiday again, then get some summer sun brochures and "look at how the other half holiday", then get a map of Norfolk and see if you can find any bits of river that you can actually see anything other than the raised flood defence banks.

My girlfriend is a Norfolk broad, and that is FACT.

As for assisting you in your queries, I'm afraid I cannot help you, I'd like to, but I cannot. I would proffer a suggestion as to if it were to rain, and that is that alcohol is your friend.

Yes

So So depends where you are

Not a lot apart from put the roof on

A few of us went on The Norfolk Broads back in the beautiful non stop sunny summer of 76 .... only problem was we went in Sept when it started to rain again. :(

Wroxham was where we picked our boat up from. It was all a bit tame for a bunch of teenage lads, but some of the pubs could only be accessed by boat so back in those days of pubs having strict licensing hours it was nice not to be chased out of the pub 10 minutes after last orders :p

At Great Yarmouth we ventured out into the open sea for a mile or so before turning back!!, but we had to lower the roof on the deck (there is probably a nautical term for it :cool:) to get under a bridge and of course the skies opened and we got totally drenched going both in and out :(

Make as much use of hotel/pub bogs as you can, 5 lads using a chemical loo wasn't a great idea :cool:

The speed limit is 4kts I think, slow walking pace. We misjudged the distance back to Wroxham on the final day and had to get up early and speed back to Wroxham as fast as we could and I'm pretty sure our wake probably meant quite a few people moored up having brekkie got tea spilt all over them ... sorry ;)

We had a real classic moment at Wroxham station, waiting for a bus to get us to the boat yard. There wasn't a timetable at the bus stop and a straw munching carrot crunching yokel came up and told us that we'd just missed the bus with a big grin on his face. we asked him when the next bus was and he replied Wednesday ... they only run on market day .... shame we arrived on Saturday :p

The reason we were in a big rush on the Saturday morning was to get back to Southampton to see us play Notts Forest. Everything was planned, my dad was at Eastleigh station to take all our suitcases off us whilst we hopped back on the train and got into the ground just before kick off. Then a bizarre thing happened .... stood on the terracing after a week on the ocean waves ;) we were swaying around like a bunch of weebles (obviously aided and abetted by plenty of beer on the train journey) but it was a funny as phuck sensation :rolleyes:

Hope the weather is nice for you, as being cooped up in a small boat with a load of other people can drive you crazy :smt103. Mind you I'm sure your boat will be a bit more luxurious than ours was.

Thanks for replies, I think I will try to crash the boat or throw the father in-law over board Maxwell style. Zander fishing doesn't appeal, too much like hard work, I'll take some maggots and catch a few gudgeon and roach.

Go for the Pike then, best Pike fishing in the UK.

Lots of rock shops and shops selling ornaments made out of shells.

Go for the Pike then, best Pike fishing in the UK.

Lots of rock shops and shops selling ornaments made out of shells.

Best bait?? are you allowed to use roach you've caught?? I like rock and I used to collect shells, this is sounding like a holiday to remember.

Best bait?? are you allowed to use roach you've caught?? I like rock and I used to collect shells, this is sounding like a holiday to remember.

Best bait would be certainly a live bait this time of year. Go for a 6" Rudd or Roach that you have caught in the same water, or go and get some big fat goldfish, It'll be like waving a fillet stake at a Rottweiller.

Best bait would be certainly a live bait this time of year. Go for a 6" Rudd or Roach that you have caught in the same water, or go and get some big fat goldfish, It'll be like waving a fillet stake at a Rottweiller.
Will my float fishing rod be strong enough to catch Pike?? I will need a wore trace?? Do I lure fish or just fish on the bottom??

Will my float fishing rod be strong enough to catch Pike?? I will need a wore trace?? Do I lure fish or just fish on the bottom??

1, Use a carp rod.

2, Wire trace is a must.

3, 20lb line or better still braid.

4, Let the livebait do the work near the bank or a nice patch of lillypads.

5, You may need a large net.

6, A pair of forceps.

7, Some plasters.

8, A surgeon.

9, The undertaker.

Tight lines kipperman.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/upload/16480/images/opi/pike-head-close-up-and-lure.gif

1st time piker to the broads http://www.the-broads.co.uk/fileattachments/4/42lb8oz_Pike_-_Hickling_2010.jpg 42lb er

Edited by Dog
picture

No, not really, and those that are there, normally are hard to find moorings for.

Everyone fishes, I must be the only bugger that never caught anything!:D

Have sex, quarrel, play games, read......go to pub (see above).

That said, we enjoyed our five day break.

1, Use a carp rod.

2, Wire trace is a must.

6, A pair of forceps.

7, Some plasters.

8, A surgeon.

9, The undertaker.

Tight lines kipperman.

So I need to buy a carp rod, buy a large net, buy lots of new tackle all for the chance to have my hand bitten off by a prehistoric crocodile fish, I'm thinking a bit of Roach fishing will be splendid.

1, Use a carp rod.

2, Wire trace is a must.

6, A pair of forceps.

7, Some plasters.

8, A surgeon.

9, The undertaker.

Tight lines kipperman.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/upload/16480/images/opi/pike-head-close-up-and-lure.gif

1st time piker to the broads http://www.the-broads.co.uk/fileattachments/4/42lb8oz_Pike_-_Hickling_2010.jpg 42lb er

Is that you?

You're not selling it, surely you can just park the boat anywhere??

Um!, that's not quite right. You can moor for free, on the banks, where it says 'free moorings', but anywhere near habitation, will cost you on the whole. If you want to go to a certain pub, I'd say you need to be tied up by 1400/1500 hrs.

Take a Bar-B-Q, have fun.;)

Take a banjo, they like banjos in those parts.

If in a pub and local asks you if you have met his his wife and sister and there is only one woman in the pub DO NOT LOOK AROUND for the missing relative, they are probably the same person.

Take your gnome for some hilarious photographical fun.

Um!, that's not quite right. You can moor for free, on the banks, where it says 'free moorings', but anywhere near habitation, will cost you on the whole. If you want to go to a certain pub, I'd say you need to be tied up by 1400/1500 hrs.

Take a Bar-B-Q, have fun.;)

Not much chance of that ... the In Laws will be on the boat as well :(

His best hope of excitement is dangling his rod over the side of the boat and hope he gets a nibble ;)

If in a pub and local asks you if you have met his his wife and sister and there is only one woman in the pub DO NOT LOOK AROUND for the missing relative, they are probably the same person.

Now that is a Top Tip, would brighten up even the dullest holiday :p

It's quite fun catching smallish/medium pike using lightish tackle and no trace and a small roach, minnow or even sprat on a large single hook but you have to strike pretty quickly and it works best in weirs and fast water, so maybe not much around the Broads. Used to be fun on the Thames though, and you'd get the odd chub and perch too. Perhaps you could hire a canoe (or rowing boat) to push your way into quiet backwaters.

Artery forceps are still advisable for unhooking though...

Oh, and my experience of a fishing/camping holiday in Ireland was that if it rained you went into the pub and stayed there.

This was a long time ago mind, but I remember the landlord "Ah well, we're closed now [it was the old holy hour], but you'd better have a pint whilst you're waiting"

Now that is a Top Tip, would brighten up even the dullest holiday :p

Especially if it is a Saints gnome :)

Done a 4 day break on the Norfolk Broads..good fun,get to the pubs early or the only place to moor will be against another boat and your have to step across them to get to dry land.If you get the chance,sit outside the pub opposite Wroxam bridge and your be entertained all day watching people panic on there boats as its a pretty low bridge to get under!!