Not sure where to post this

Saint in Paradise

I must admit to being a bit out of touch with the UK laws but I was amazed to read that in the UK a law

has been passed called "The Civil Contingencies Act 2004"

This law enables the PM, a Govt Minister or the Govt Chief Whip to dismantle the Rule of Law overnight.

This can happen if they just think an emergency might happen.:shock:

There is a very interesting academic study called "The Civil Contingencies Act 2004" by Clive Walker and

James Broderick ( OUP,2006)

This Act allows the suspension of travel, seizing of property, forced evauation, special Courts and

arbitrary detention and arrest, as well as lots of other stuff.

If they are wrong and nothing happens there is no sanction against the person who invoked those powers.:shock:

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I must admit to being a bit out of touch with the UK laws but I was amazed to read that in the UK a law

has been passed called "The Civil Contingencies Act 2004"

This law enables the PM, a Govt Minister or the Govt Chief Whip to dismantle the Rule of Law overnight.

This can happen if they just think an emergency might happen.:shock:

There is a very interesting academic study called "The Civil Contingencies Act 2004" by Clive Walker and

James Broderick ( OUP,2006)

This Act allows the suspension of travel, seizing of property, forced evauation, special Courts and

arbitrary detention and arrest, as well as lots of other stuff.

If they are wrong and nothing happens there is no sanction against the person who invoked those powers.:shock:

(3) Emergency regulations may not—

(a) require a person, or enable a person to be required, to provide military service, or

(b) prohibit or enable the prohibition of participation in, or any activity in connection with, a strike or other industrial action.

(4) Emergency regulations may not—

(a) create an offence other than one of the kind described in section 22(3)(i),

(b) create an offence other than one which is triable only before a magistrates' court or, in Scotland, before a sheriff under summary procedure,

© create an offence which is punishable—

(i) with imprisonment for a period exceeding three months, or

(ii) with a fine exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or

(d) alter procedure in relation to criminal proceedings.

(5) Emergency regulations may not amend—

(a) this Part of this Act, or

(b) the Human Rights Act 1998 (c. 42).

(1) Emergency regulations shall lapse—

(a) at the end of the period of 30 days beginning with the date on which they are made, or

(b) at such earlier time as may be specified in the regulations.

It is a catch-all act designed to protect the UK in cases as diverse as Terrorism, foot and mouth, floods, hurricanes oil spills and the such.

Legislation is inserted which cannot be amended, reducing penalties for failure to comply to Magistrates Courts penalties only.

Big Brother is watching you, but he has one eye closed in this instance.