Hay Fever - WAHHOOO!!!

RonManager

It's June and it's WAHHOOO!! - started for me.

It's field WAHHOOO!!! grasses for me - what get's you going, how bad do you get it?

Does anybody have any WAHHOOO!! interesting or imaginative aways to manage this WAHHOOO!! irritating annoyance, or know of any WAHHOOO!!! new wonder cure around on the market?

WAHHOOOO!!

For pretty much my whole life (35 years) I have been plagued by hayfever. Badly. Not being able to go out, struggling to breath etc.

Last year however it didn't seem as bad.

This year there's been no sign of it. :)

Normally it starts around mid May...

I do know you can grow out of it, so i'm hoping that's the case!

Locally produced honey apparently cures it.

Interesting. Any more detail to that snippet? Why locally? -does that imply that it won't work if you wander away from your local area?

I get honey from a friend who keeps bees locally, but I don't eat it all that often. I shall up my intake and see what happens.

For pretty much my whole life (35 years) I have been plagued by hayfever. Badly. Not being able to go out, struggling to breath etc.

Last year however it didn't seem as bad.

This year there's been no sign of it. :)

Normally it starts around mid May...

I do know you can grow out of it, so i'm hoping that's the case!

Have you moved recently? When I moved to Scotland in the 80s, I stopped getting it because the grasses I was allergic to did not grow up there in the volume required to set me off.

Upon my return to the south in 2000, back it came, although for the first year back I had no problem - weird.

Have you had a test to see what you are allergic to?

I used to get it badly but in recent years it has been much better. When it picks up I take Ceterizene (spelling is bound to be wrong) tablets. They work really well - much better than a nasal spray or eye drops or anything like that. I recommend them.

I usually get hayfever from March right through 'till August, aren't I a lucky boy. I can cope with the sneezing & snivelling, it's the sore eyes that cause me misery, but so far this year I've not had eye-agony.

As for medication: Loratidine tabs, sodium-cromaglycate drops & funisoloide nasal spray. If the eye-drops don't work I find that rapid rubbing followed by poking with something blunt offers a limited distraction from the soreness. :smt072

Bizarely, I always sneeze 3 at a time. :smt102

Interesting. Any more detail to that snippet? Why locally? -does that imply that it won't work if you wander away from your local area?

I get honey from a friend who keeps bees locally, but I don't eat it all that often. I shall up my intake and see what happens.

Something to do with local bees and the local pollen, get that inside of you and you build an immunity to the local pollen that would normally effect you.

My eyes have been itching like **** for the last 2 days.

Something to do with local bees and the local pollen, get that inside of you and you build an immunity to the local pollen that would normally effect you.

My eyes have been itching like **** for the last 2 days.

cheers fellow sufferer.

I eat a tea spoon of local honey (which for me is Solihull) every morning, and that seems to help quite a bit. Used to get it really badly, getting worse as I got older but I tried the honey thing last year and this year and have seen a big improvement. Plus it tastes pretty nice too! :)

Do bees take pollen from trees as well as flowers? If not, then it might not work for people allergic to tree pollen.

I eat a tea spoon of local honey (which for me is Solihull) every morning, and that seems to help quite a bit. Used to get it really badly, getting worse as I got older but I tried the honey thing last year and this year and have seen a big improvement. Plus it tastes pretty nice too! :)

Do bees take pollen from trees as well as flowers? If not, then it might not work for people allergic to tree pollen.

Not sure, I shall enquire of the person from whom I get the honey from. Her partner, who I work with, gets terrible hay fever from tree pollen in March/April/May and he eats loads of the stuff, so maybe they don't.

I shall start the teaspoon honey diet tomorrow morning!

yep, mine started in March / April time. Get it from tree pollen first and then the bloody grass has a go to. Have spoken to an alternative medicine woman at work and she has given me this program that works at "tapping out" on median points. Willing to give anything a go tbh

yep, mine started in March / April time. Get it from tree pollen first and then the bloody grass has a go to. Have spoken to an alternative medicine woman at work and she has given me this program that works at "tapping out" on median points. Willing to give anything a go tbh

Certainly be interested to hear how that works out.

Clarinase or Claritine.

Never had Hayfever, nobody in the family ever had Hayfever.

Son returned to Uni in the UK 4 years ago after being in Dubai 11 years, WAHOO, suffered all year around - your British air is TOXIC.

I came back last week and WAHOO. My system is so used to dust and sand the pollen hit me and wham.

Luckily I learnt about Clarinase from my old Scuba diving days and always carry it with me when I travel - one tab and gone. Works the same way for Winter runny nose colds and what we call A/C flu. Son on his first trip back home after Uni stocked up with a year's supply of Claritine and whoosh, gone.

I have No idea if it is prescription only in the UK but worth checking it out, Clarinase is about 3.50 a packet here

Can I buy 'local' honey in a supermarket?

I get my local honey at a local "National Trust" shop, maybe worth a try if there's anything like that near you.

As for more "conventional" medicine, I find Piriton works best for me. They're quite strong and cause drowsiness - used to "knock me out" a bit when I first tried them but I think I'm used to them now.