Southampton's Royal Pier falls into the sea

Master Bates

Had some very good nights down The Pier in my younger days, I always hoped that a developer would restore it to its former glory, the waterfront is just not the same with out it.

Get Smart?

I rememebr one time the bouncers had turned a mate away for looking under-age. Drove him home and got his passport, they turned still him down again and audibly laughhed as he skulked away, as did the rest of us as we went up to the bar for our first beer. Queing up twice and getting knocked back twice! I was always getting asked for ID as I didn't look my age (still don't) but usually found courtesy and pleasantness used to open doors.

One time I was way too piddled to gain entry to that club on St Michael's Square, I sat on the pavement despondent and watched as one of Mark Wright crowd got turned away for having aT-Shirt on. I duly made an ass of myself slurring something about 'any mate of MW's is a mate of mine and swapped my Ocean Pacific for his grey top.

Rumour has it that half of Southampton started their journey of life at 'chuck out' time of the Royal Pier Ballroom, before it got burnt down

Anybody around with pic's of the trains running down the Pier, from the Terminus Station, across Canute Road, and a scenic run through the Docks.

Get Smart?

One time I was way too piddled to gain entry to that club on St Michael's Square, I sat on the pavement despondent and watched as one of Mark Wright crowd got turned away for having aT-Shirt on. I duly made an ass of myself slurring something about 'any mate of MW's is a mate of mine and swapped my Ocean Pacific for his grey top.

The Silhouette club.

Rumour has it that half of Southampton started their journey of life at 'chuck out' time of the Royal Pier Ballroom, before it got burnt down

Anybody around with pic's of the trains running down the Pier, from the Terminus Station, across Canute Road, and a scenic run through the Docks.

Used to go schoolboy boxing at the Gym on the pier run by the huge Black Guy (I think he was from Zambia), it held me in good stead when I started having to dodge punches on nights out there in future years.

You would have thought that with all the money that has been spent to make the city look nice that someone would have taken this project on, especially as it looks like pimple on the backside of humanity since Red Funnel (I believe) tried to demolish it "by accident".

Somes up the whole attitude of the council to doing anything pro active in an attempt to really show of the heritage/beauty of our great city...

Today I read that the anchor from the QE2 is in store.... the council are going to spend millions on adding a conservatory on to the civic centre in an attempt to celebrate the maritime history of the city ..... western shore is a disgrace, and all the time you drive down the M27 you are forced to admire the conceptual brilliance of the spinnaker tower. The council really do need to get a grip and go for a couple of real big projects to get the city buzzing.... they could start by just filling in the ****ing pot holes in the roads!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Somes up the whole attitude of the council to doing anything pro active in an attempt to really show of the heritage/beauty of our great city...

Today I read that the anchor from the QE2 is in store.... the council are going to spend millions on adding a conservatory on to the civic centre in an attempt to celebrate the maritime history of the city ..... western shore is a disgrace, and all the time you drive down the M27 you are forced to admire the conceptual brilliance of the spinnaker tower. The council really do need to get a grip and go for a couple of real big projects to get the city buzzing.... they could start by just filling in the ****ing pot holes in the roads!

That'd be the Millennium celebration tower that opened only 5 years late, with buggered lifts...

Sails of the South are nice though, if only for a fleeting instant as you drive past on the M275 at 80

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I should bloody well think so, you young whippersnapper.

I was a child bride.

Yeah, in 1936...:D

• 4 months later...
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was sent this website link as it has a fantastic insite to the southampton music/club/comedy scene in the 60's onward.

It's some fantastic reading for our elder fans, a walk right down memory lane for me.

Enjoy

http://www.davidstjohn.co.uk/sitemap.html

Thanks for posting this link. I've just spent a good hour browsing and it brought back many happy memories of those days :D