Do we need the Stoke game

thegaffer

Yes. Most of pre-season has been about getting the fitness levels up, and checking out our talent/lack of talent.

Now we need to play a couple of games with the likely starting 11 for Cardiff, against some strong opposition, to get the stability in place ready for next Saturday - exactly why Hereford (to a lesser extent), West Ham and Stoke were arranged.

Probably not, but I think it'll be good to test ourselves against essentialy a physical championship side.

Exactly why i think its a risky game.. We dont want to go into Sats game against Cardiff with an injury list as long as your arm. All the good work from the past 6 weeks could all be undone.

Exactly why i think its a risky game.. We dont want to go into Sats game against Cardiff with an injury list as long as your arm. All the good work from the past 6 weeks could all be undone.

Well, if we've not got cover for any injuries we are likely to incur at that match, then we are truly snookered when the season starts properly.

Yes. Most of pre-season has been about getting the fitness levels up, and checking out our talent/lack of talent.

Now we need to play a couple of games with the likely starting 11 for Cardiff, against some strong opposition, to get the stability in place ready for next Saturday - exactly why Hereford (to a lesser extent), West Ham and Stoke were arranged.

I can't see us putting out the starting 11 for Cardiff against Stoke, this is assuming that was the starting 11 against West ham (which if it was not before hand, certainly looks like it now). They really knocked their pan out against West Ham and it's just too much for a young team with so many games to come. I don't see it as wise doing the same with last years team, let alone this one. Use this game to get the rest of the squad fit and pointers for any to break through.

We still have another team to get fit, and need to play.

John

Rasiak

BWP

Skacel

Davies

Euell

Wotton

Saggers

They will probably play the second half. I can't see the 1st team of youngsters playing more than a half, four days before the first game.

Well, if we've not got cover for any injuries we are likely to incur at that match, then we are truly snookered when the season starts properly.

Agreed, but i think the majority of clubs outside the top flight are the same. However if your players are fit they should theoretically pick up less injuries on the whole.

In anycase i don't buy all the whinging done by certain managers about the number of games played. They should be able to play everyday at their age. You don't hear working lads complaining about playing on a Sunday after working shifts all week, nor did the players of old complain about doing likewise and playing with a water logged leather ball which weighed a ton. Kicking a beachball round the park for 90 minutes isn't exactly hard work.

I can't see us putting out the starting 11 for Cardiff against Stoke, this is assuming that was the starting 11 against West ham (which if it was not before hand, certainly looks like it now). They really knocked their pan out against West Ham and it's just too much for a young team with so many games to come. I don't see it as wise doing the same with last years team, let alone this one. Use this game to get the rest of the squad fit and pointers for any to break through.

West Ham was the first "real" test for what we've got to come over the season. Stoke is the same. Anyway, it won't be far off the starting 11, bearing in mind we also have a reserve friendly against Woking on Tuesday.

It should be a good mix of senior and youth against Stoke, somewhere along the lines of what we'll be looking to start the season with, and predominantly youth against Woking.

I'll be off to Woking anyhow.

Put most of the 'older pros' in the team for this game for a match fitness build up and also to see if they are willing to put the effort in to win back there starting positions because on Fridays showing the young ones are here to stay.

My team would be:

Davis

Imudia, Thomas, Lancashire, Mills

Euell, Wotton

Dyer, Skacel, Saga

John

Yes we do. Being Saints, we have to follow any decent result with a bad result as quickly as possible in order to dampen down any unwanted levels of excitement. If we beat Stoke, we'll probably have to quickly schedule another match against Real Madrid the next day just to save us all from a tidal wave of happiness which we're ill-equipped to deal with. ;)

It's the friendly I'm most worried about as it will be the truest test of the off season. Whether it should be played with fringe players or the supposed first team I'm not sure - a test for the first team would be the most valuable but I share the concerns about injuries and just plain playing too many games just before the start of the season. If we play the 'fringe' players then it's a wasted opportunity to gauge ourselves against the right level of opposition, but as a test it's surely too late since there's no time to change anything?

Oh I don't know I'm just confused.

Do we really need to be playing Stoke on Tues?

I would think so, we certainly need more than the measly 12K or so who attended the West Ham game.What happened to Saturday friendlies? are there too many weddings and other receptions to be able to use the stadium for football now on a Saturday .