What makes men cry?

Guest Hacienda

Max's funeral on Hollyoaks

And what was the other hollyoaks related one?

For me, gheyily enough its Forest Gump when he is talking to Jenny's grave, and when he is little at little Forest (his son, not his pee pee) and asking Jenny if he has his 'tard gene.

I also got a bit weepey at this... I guess it's a cat lover thing...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=adYbFQFXG0U

The music doesnt help either

For me, gheyily enough its Forest Gump when he is talking to Jenny's grave, and when he is little at little Forest (his son, not his pee pee) and asking Jenny if he has his 'tard gene.

Wen O.B left

watched it (with the volume on mute) and still cried like a baby!!!!!!

awww,bless

Wen O.B left

Ah yes I remember now.

watched it (with the volume on mute) and still cried like a baby!!!!!!

awww,bless

Dont turn the volume up then! Its Witney Houston - I will always love you.

The chorus kicking off right when the lion embraces the blokes.

Just to think they got that Lion from Harrods! You could legally buy a lion cub in the UK in the 70's!

The last time I cried at a movie was at ET. I was about 10, and even then I sniffed it back so there were no tears.

I think I must be dead inside as I never feel the urge to cry at fictional events. Either that or you lot are a little bit heavy on oestrogen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7544985.stm

The WW1 & WW2 cemeteries do it to me everytime.

Pretty much same here. Whilst on holiday in S.France earlier this year, I ventured into one of their ordinary village cemeteries. The French do these things so well, and convey very great respect for those that have lived and died before us. I came across a very moving tribute to the fallen soldiers and civilians of WW1 and WW2 from the village and environs. There was also a dark blue plaque set against a facade of an old house. It read of a chap who was dragged from his home, into the village square, and shot by Gestapo and SS officers, for hiding an escaped POW. Years ago I'd have been able to control my emotions, but nowadays, despite every effort to contain myself, the tears just fall. I think it's a part of getting older and appreciating life far more.

Pretty much same here. Whilst on holiday in S.France earlier this year, I ventured into one of their ordinary village cemeteries. The French do these things so well, and convey very great respect for those that have lived and died before us. I came across a very moving tribute to the fallen soldiers and civilians of WW1 and WW2 from the village and environs. There was also a dark blue plaque set against a facade of an old house. It read of a chap who was dragged from his home, into the village square, and shot by Gestapo and SS officers, for hiding an escaped POW. Years ago I'd have been able to control my emotions, but nowadays, despite every effort to contain myself, the tears just fall. I think it's a part of getting older and appreciating life far more.

Dont go to Ohama beach then. There are not words to describe that graveyard!

Speaking of cemetries (not just war ones), I went to the San Michele Cemetery island at Venice, and found it an incredibly moving place.

Guest Hacienda

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/westfront/ypsalient/cemeteries/tynecot.htm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1996139

These are the two they always make me weep.

I go to the Bayeux cemetery every couple of years and put flowers on a grave of an unkown British sailor as I always feel that nobody would have ever visited him. I bit gay maybe but important to me.

I'll be visiting Tynecot again in October.

And speaking of blubbing at fictional stories [and graveyards], the film guaranteed to set me off is Saving Private Ryan. It's not all the fighting, which was shocking enough first time round, but the bit at the end where a saved Private Ryan [Matt Damon] looks down on a dying Captain Miller [Tom Hanks] who whispers... Earn this..!

Ryan morphs into his much older self standing in front of Capt Miller's headstone, at the Ohama Beach cemetery, and he turns to his wife and asks if he has been a good man. He's unsure whether he's earned his right to live, after all the others went through to save him, and it's a guaranteed blub moment. Not crying, just tear streaming stuff.

Went to a childrens hospice to visit my cousin, the whole place the kids many did not have much hope but they were all happy. Had me in tears afterwards.

And after I visited my mate who was dying of cancer, It was the last time I saw him alive. Put on a brave face infront of him laughing and joking but I cried afterwards.

Went to a childrens hospice to visit my cousin, the whole place the kids many did not have much hope but they were all happy. Had me in tears afterwards.

And after I visited my mate who was dying of cancer, It was the last time I saw him alive. Put on a brave face infront of him laughing and joking but I cried afterwards.

Similar stuff. Makes me feel sad now.

How do you define "Cry" in this context?

For example I've never watched a film and actually started properly crying, but may have welled up a bit or had a tear run down the cheek.

This was my definition of crying too. I have never fully blabbed, just well up a bit and possibly have 1 tear stream down. My eyes then man up and dont allow another tear to fall otherwise they get a beasting

And speaking of blubbing at fictional stories [and graveyards], the film guaranteed to set me off is Saving Private Ryan. It's not all the fighting, which was shocking enough first time round, but the bit at the end where a saved Private Ryan [Matt Damon] looks down on a dying Captain Miller [Tom Hanks] who whispers... Earn this..!

Ryan morphs into his much older self standing in front of Capt Miller's headstone, at the Ohama Beach cemetery, and he turns to his wife and asks if he has been a good man. He's unsure whether he's earned his right to live, after all the others went through to save him, and it's a guaranteed blub moment. Not crying, just tear streaming stuff.

Yarp, I 'welled up' at this too.

Immense film

Nice.

We were driving through Farnham about a year ago, and were talking about some of the **** that we've been through in years gone by. Next thing I know she's connected her I-Pod to the stereo and says 'listen to this'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd06upFitOI&feature=related

I cried. I honestly had to pull over on a busy street as I could not see to drive. To this day, I cannot listen to it unless I am on my own feeling reflective (like now), or with her.

Nice.

We were driving through Farnham about a year ago, and were talking about some of the **** that we've been through in years gone by. Next thing I know she's connected her I-Pod to the stereo and says 'listen to this'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd06upFitOI&feature=related

I cried. I honestly had to pull over on a busy street as I could not see to drive. To this day, I cannot listen to it unless I am on my own feeling reflective (like now), or with her.

May I ask why you chose to post that cover? Is that the one she played you or was it the original?

OK I'm a woman, so crying is expected but the biggest crying jag I ever had was many years ago after a visit to Stoke Mandeville hospital.

Our 'charity' work was with Jimmy Saville to raise money for the hospital and one day he invited us to perform on one of the wards for paraplegics. A lot of the guys had those 'periscope' things as they were flat on their beds and it was the only way they could see us dance.

Afterwards I got chatting to one of the patients. He was a young guy and a soldier. He'd only been married for a few weeks when he decided to dive off some rocks in Cyprus where he was stationed. He hit some submerged rocks and ended up paralysed from the neck down.

I came away from there, sat in my car, and cried like I've never cried before - and goodness knows I've cried some in the past. I just felt so desperately sorry for him. Even now, after all this time, I still well up when I think about him.

Another fictional piece: The Shawshank Redemption. It has its moments where a lump the size of a football can appear in the throat. I mention it because it's on Film 4 tonight at 9pm. Perhaps a chance for the last few people who've never seen it to actually do so. Or record it for later.

May I ask why you chose to post that cover? Is that the one she played you or was it the original?

'Twas the original, but that is a nice cover, and I copied the wrong link. My mistake, I ain't correcting it as the Grandkids are here now, I want to avoid crying in front of them.

I will however show Mrs Hamster my comment later, and we may well blub together, I will most likely have intimate contact.

That is a nice cover do you not agree?

Lets be honest the modern man cries like a friggin baby, more then the Girls. As todays report on the BBC also stating your just as likely to get the **** kicked out of you by a drunken girl. Times are changing.

Its seen as ok now, if a bloke can cry on TV on shows like Big Bruv, every talent show going on national TV.

Its when it starts ruining their makeup I start to cringe.

I think when you see some of the things on youtube showing our troops who have lost their lives, that gets me going. Seeing WWI graves, saw my relatives not so long ago, poor lad was 17 years old....put a lump in my throat.

I remember also, being in Gibraltar and hearing the last post and Jerusalem being played by Navy band, echoing around the mountains, there was a tear, I have to admit.

I get all welled up over stupid things, I have come close crying because of football on numerous occasions. After the Sheffield United game a full grown man holding back the tears almost set me off and it is a good job it was raining so heavily at the Derby play off game. I cried like a baby when my dog died a few years ago, along with my father and brother (they cried with me, they did not die with the dog).

A few years ago I was playing a Blüthner piano alone in a church and the sheer beauty of the instrument almost brought me to tears.

I guess I am a massive, massive quender.

I get all welled up over stupid things, I have come close crying because of football on numerous occasions. After the Sheffield United game a full grown man holding back the tears almost set me off and it is a good job it was raining so heavily at the Derby play off game. I cried like a baby when my dog died a few years ago, along with my father and brother (they cried with me, they did not die with the dog).

A few years ago I was playing a Blüthner piano alone in a church and the sheer beauty of the instrument almost brought me to tears.

I guess I am a massive, massive quender.

I used to bottle up all the emotion. Nowadays I let it out. Believe me, you're the better for it. Anyone who can't be moved by events is missing out on experience.