Reality TV shows

Thedelldays

Although I wouldn't touch so-called 'Reality Television' with a barge pole it seems to me that much of our apparently respectable television production is also designed to mislead if not damn right lie to the viewer .

Two examples from just the last week to illustrate the wider point :

A rather interesting C4 programme on the Royal Navy's latest Type 45 Destroyer - HMS Daring - was ruined when the ship was clearly depicted launching 'Astor' surface to air missiles during a training exercise off the south coast . As I take an interest in the navy I happen to know that this missile system is currently non-operational and in truth HMS Daring has yet to launch any missiles . The footage used was actually skillfully edited film of a prototype Astor being fired from a barge in the Mediterranean years ago .

You would not have known any of these rather pertinent facts from watching this programme however . A misleading omission which I consider to be almost as 'out of order' as the aforementioned missile system itself .

Channel 5's recently ended series on Tutankhamun has been carefully crafted to depict the egregious Dr Zahi Hawass as some great archeologist and historian of ancient Egyptian culture . We see 'our hero' examining historical artifacts and exploring dusty old tombs and the unsuspecting viewer is lead to believe that original research and new discovery's are being made into 'King Tut' by the brilliant Hawass.

The truth is however that the 'discoveries' Hawass personally unearths in this programme have been known to academics (and anyone else who takes an interest) for decades , and that the real reason this old fraud is allowed to dominate the series is that his position as the head of the 'Supreme Council of Antiquities' means he controls all access to Egyptian archeological sites (and with a with a rod of iron) and that anyone who wants to film there has to have this egomaniac's permission beforehand . Power corrupts as they say .

Anything you read in a newspaper or see on a television should be taken with a 'pinch of salt' if you ask me - correction - make that a lorryload of salt . :mad:

Channel 5's recently ended series on Tutankhamun has been carefully crafted to depict the egregious Dr Zahi Hawass as some great archeologist and historian of ancient Egyptian culture . We see 'our hero' examining historical artifacts and exploring dusty old tombs and the unsuspecting viewer is lead to believe that original research and new discovery's are being made into 'King Tut' by the brilliant Hawass.

The truth is however that the 'discoveries' Hawass personally unearths in this programme have been known to academics (and anyone else who takes an interest) for decades , and that the real reason this old fraud is allowed to dominate the series is that his position as the head of the 'Supreme Council of Antiquities' means he controls all access to Egyptian archeological sites (and with a with a rod of iron) and that anyone who wants to film there has to have this egomaniac's permission beforehand . Power corrupts as they say .

Sounds like the Brian Badonde character from facejacker :D

I watched a reality tv/documentary about an office a few years back which was really staged. The office manager, David, was mental and must have been told what to say/how to act. There was a gimp called Gareth too who was really weird. Must have been faked.

Yes, what really gave it away was that it was set in a place called Slough, an impossible and imaginary place if ever there was one.