So another BA strike by cabin crew

TopGun

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10243729.stm

Good news for FF and his few cohorts.

BA is losing £7m a day.

How much longer can this nonsense go on?

A few years back I got involved in a union issue. It was bloody straightforward - the guy didn't want to work under the same good conditions others had and tried to call me out as his manager.

He pulled everything trick in his union book to do it. He was a grade A arse cos he effectively wanted flexi between 10 to 4 and 2 hours at lunch... as if...

I have had the same recently off Unite local reps at a power plant site...

Utter w@nkers in attitude! Much like football agents in a sense, parasites.

But it amazes me further that the union is ruining an airline for the sake of a few well paid cabin staff... Duncan, you are so bloody wrong!

Edited by TopGun

UNION chief Tony Woodley was branded "breathtakingly arrogant" for flying off on holiday as BA staff

prepared for a 20th day of strikes today.

The Unite boss, 62, flew to Cyprus on another airline from Manchester on Friday. A BA source said:

"It's unbelievable at a time when others are having trips ruined. He's the only one who can get a settlement."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3002172/-Union-chief-Tony-Woodley-flies-off-on-holiday-as-BA-staff-set-to-strike.html#ixzz0q9JV2tQz

I'm not that clued up on employment law, but is there any reason why BA didn't sack the lot before it got dragged out over the summer, they could have had replacement staff in place by now.

Yes, they have no reason to sack them.

People wonder why this country is heading down the pan and it is partly due to this attitude that we should support the multi-million pound company against the average working person.

Swannymere = slave to the corporate world.

UNION chief Tony Woodley was branded "breathtakingly arrogant" for flying off on holiday as BA staff

The Unite boss, 62, flew to Cyprus on another airline from Manchester on Friday. A BA source said:

"It's unbelievable at a time when others are having trips ruined. He's the only one who can get a settlement."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3002172/-Union-chief-Tony-Woodley-flies-off-on-holiday-as-BA-staff-set-to-strike.html#ixzz0q9JV2tQz

unbelievable!!!

how dare he have a holiday

:rolleyes:

People wonder why this country is heading down the pan and it is partly due to this attitude that we should support the multi-million pound company against the average working person.

Good post. Nice to see some people understand the subject there posting to rather than spouting sack the workers.

If that was possible the average man in the street would be on a minimum wage where as senior management and above would be rolling in it. Bully boy tactics by companies needs to be kept in check.

We live in a democracy and have the right to lawful protest if don't agree, and that is what they are doing.

NO PROBLEM HERE:)

You do the average working person a disservice comparing him/her to these numpties.

Sack them all, fakkin 'ell. I watched Airline on Sky 3 a few days ago, the episode was about the training they have to do... such as...

- How to apply makeup.

- How to knot a tie.

LMFAO

Sack them all and may they spend their future years picking and packing in a cold and damp factory for minimum wage.

Scum

Errr, he is a Union boss and he jumps on an Easyjet flight to Pathos when his members are stood on the picket line?

That is a f*cking joke.

no. it's not.

He's entitled to his PRIVATE holiday and he can use who the hell he likes to fly. I guess Easyjet employees are part of Unison also, not that it matters.

Why is it 'outrageous' and 'a scandal' nowadays when anyone does anything that is not what they deem 'reasonable'.

people have far too much time on their hands, and should really chill out for a bit before they have a heart attack.

Good post. Nice to see some people understand the subject there posting to rather than spouting sack the workers.

If that was possible the average man in the street would be on a minimum wage where as senior management and above would be rolling in it. Bully boy tactics by companies needs to be kept in check.

Which is completely different from the ACTUAL world that we live in, where the average man on the street is on minimum wage and senior management are rolling in....uh, no I see your point.....

no. it's not.

He's entitled to his PRIVATE holiday and he can use who the hell he likes to fly. I guess Easyjet employees are part of Unison also, not that it matters.

so he is ENTITLED to his own private holiday, whilst ******* up everyone elses.

I'm alright jack.

no. it's not.

Why is it 'outrageous' and 'a scandal' nowadays when anyone does anything that is not what they deem 'reasonable'.

people have far too much time on their hands, and should really chill out for a bit before they have a heart attack.

So when thousands of families have their holidays ruined and costing them thousands of pounds, wedding days ruined etc etc...

... he f*cks off on holiday whilst his Union members are on strike?

No, in a job like that he is not entitled to a f*cking holiday. Just shows what a joke that Union are.

Anyway, luckily all them trolley dolleys won't have a job soon and nobody else in their industry will touch them with a bargepole.

He is entitled to a holiday and as he is only co-general secretary of Unite then Derek Simpson will be able to take his place at the negotiating table.

I imagine BA will be upset as the negotiations with Woodley were reported to be productive, and he was the best chance of getting any deal through BASSA.

Keep up the strike.

Keep up the strike.

Bankrupt the company, all lose their jobs and then moan about the benefit system not including free flights.

This strike laughs in the faces of all those that suffered so badly to win the rights of the workers that we all enjoy today. It is a total disgrace and will ultimately be the undoing of the unions as we know they.

He is entitled to a holiday and as he is only co-general secretary of Unite then Derek Simpson will be able to take his place at the negotiating table.

I imagine BA will be upset as the negotiations with Woodley were reported to be productive, and he was the best chance of getting any deal through BASSA.

Keep up the strike.

Too right, keep up the strike and put all the scum out of work.

This is the most retarded strike in the world, ever.

Keep up the strike.

he is entitled to a holiday...but the time of it...???

lol

I hope they strike, strike and then strike some more..

it wont be long before they tip BA over the edge and are all out of a job..not too sure if they noticed during their picketing that the country is screwed...they will not get touched in the job centre..other than stacking shelved in tesco...

BA will probably be bought and carry on with a foreign owner who will simply start again...

You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait until the dinosaur public sector workers get dragged kicking and screaming into the real world.

You mean the same public sector workers who are usually paid a lot less than those in the private sector?Yes to make up for the low pay,this was offset with the promise of a better pension and now this dozy government are trying to stop that as well.

The Tories must be laughing themselfs silly,because they get to do all the cuts they wanted and then hide behind the Lib Dems and the excuse "Its not us,its the previous government".

It wont be long before they start on someone else(though never the greedy bankers who caused all this is it)?

We can't "go after the bankers" because we now own many of the banks. The reason for that... it's certainly not the Tories.

A typical left-wing attitude though that someone needs to be "gone after". Preferably someone doing well. Someone we we can drag down a peg or two. Teach them a lesson from the university of life. Give them a trip to the school of hard knocks... blah, blah, blah.

You mean the same public sector workers who are usually paid a lot less than those in the private sector?Yes to make up for the low pay,this was offset with the promise of a better pension and now this dozy government are trying to stop that as well.

The Tories must be laughing themselfs silly,because they get to do all the cuts they wanted and then hide behind the Lib Dems and the excuse "Its not us,its the previous government".

It wont be long before they start on someone else(though never the greedy bankers who caused all this is it)?

Lol

The mess that was inherited by ANY government that won the election makes the cuts necessary.

If you have not noticed the control was brought to its knees by Brown and now the pain starts, this just makes the current BA strike so much more laughable really, what exactly are they actually striking for ??

Great post by Gemmel earlier, this will change the face of the union forever, the union is something i agree with in many cases, however this is completely different.

I think Bungle deserves to win post of the decade for saying it is all ok for the man who has caused misery, stress and in many cases financial inconvience to Holiday makers that were paying his salary to "Go on Holiday".

Dear oh Lord, whether the Strike and the many that will come as the axe falls on the Public Sector is justified, acts like this show why the Unions will always lose.

Strikes are about Public Opinion, this strike is sticking two fingers up at British holiday makers and business and "Holidaygate" is just another in a long line of idiotic PR blunders by Dinosaurs.

I think Bungle deserves to win post of the decade for saying it is all ok for the man who has caused misery, stress and in many cases financial inconvience to Holiday makers that were paying his salary to "Go on Holiday".

Dear oh Lord, whether the Strike and the many that will come as the axe falls on the Public Sector is justified, acts like this show why the Unions will always lose.

Strikes are about Public Opinion, this strike is sticking two fingers up at British holiday makers and business and "Holidaygate" is just another in a long line of idiotic PR blunders by Dinosaurs.

Yeah, but by going on holiday he is standing up for the "working, average man's" right to go on holiday. If he didn't jet off to the sun he would be the emodiment of the bourgeoise-enslaved workhorse, alienated and dehumanised, cast adrift on the capitalist slag-heap of the soul.

This holiday is good news for all average working men everywhere.

Yeah, but by going on holiday he is standing up for the "working, average man's" right to go on holiday. If he didn't jet off to the sun he would be the emodiment of the bourgeoise-enslaved workhorse, alienated and dehumanised, cast adrift on the capitalist slag-heap of the soul.

This holiday is good news for all average working men everywhere.

But is it right that he endorses an airline who's existence, operating procedures and employment contracts for it's staff one of the primary causes for the need of change in BA that is then affecting his members?

Any employee who doesn't take their vacation and cannot manage their work/life balance is useless. However there are times when the greater good of the company or your employees or your colleagues can need to come first. The right of him to take a vacation is not disputed, the poor PR & image that it presents at this moment when he is trying to win Public Support (and paying huge sums for adverts to back that up) shows a lack of Wisdom and Leadership

I really don't see this as a case of being on one side or the other. I don't think either side are particularly acting in anyone's best interests.

I certainly have no desire to see corporations inflict their will on the workers without any redress or challenge as to whether it's the right thing to do or not, but equally, I do honestly wonder if the Union really care about the companies long term future, because ultimately without a company, they have no jobs.

Also, Unions often bemoan the 'big, bad companies' but lets be honest, the Unions *need* them, otherwise they wouldn't exist, and many within the Unions are as selfish as any company director when it comes to protecting what they have.

The whole thing is shambles, and no one will come out of it with any credit, or any better off, because too few people seem willing to realise that the best way out of it is for them to work together.

Just a thought for FF, as he overseas this thread, and the other one. I wonder how many 'members' of Unite, are affected by Unite members being on stike?. I have today, disassociated myself with that union, this junket on Easyjet, sums up what the officers of Unite really think of the rank and file, scandalous.

That ceased to be the case some time ago. Public sector pay is higher than the private sector.

You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait until the dinosaur public sector workers get dragged kicking and screaming into the real world.

Bit like the Saints fans who've been bought kicking and screaming into reality about our funding? You sir are an arse of the highest order.

Another i'm alright jack Dune moment.

Edited by GenevaSaint

Keep up the strike.[/QUOTE]

You should have booked your holiday flights through BA.

I assume you're talking 'on average'?

Yes, 'on the whole', 'all things being equal', 'comparable jobs', all that sort of thing.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285 'The percentage difference between the median level of full-time earnings in the public sector (£539 per week) and the private sector (£465 per week) widened over the year to April 2009, following annual increases of 3.1 per cent and 1.0 per cent respectively.' But then there is this one:

http://opinion.publicfinance.co.uk/2010/01/public-vs-private-pay-no-comparison/

In reality, the days of the public sector being 'underpaid' but having better job security and pensions have passed. Now they are not underpaid.

so he is ENTITLED to his own private holiday, whilst ******* up everyone elses.

I'm alright jack.

Wouldn't it be poetic justice if SleazyJet staff decided to go on strike the day he is due to fly back :p

One of my daughters was hoping to come out to Dubai for half term hols, and BA offered the most convenient combination of flight times and fares .... but alas it wasn't to be, the dates the scum union chose were purposely chosen to coincide with half term :mad:

I have already eliminated BA from mine and Mrs EoA's summer travel plans, and I'm sure there are thousands upon thousands of others who have done likewise.

Yes, 'on the whole', 'all things being equal', 'comparable jobs', all that sort of thing.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285 'The percentage difference between the median level of full-time earnings in the public sector (£539 per week) and the private sector (£465 per week) widened over the year to April 2009, following annual increases of 3.1 per cent and 1.0 per cent respectively.' But then there is this one:

http://opinion.publicfinance.co.uk/2010/01/public-vs-private-pay-no-comparison/

In reality, the days of the public sector being 'underpaid' but having better job security and pensions have passed. Now they are not underpaid.

I'm not willing to divluge my yearly wage or my weekly earnings (without tax deductions) for everyone to see, but feel free to send me a PM and I hopefully can disprove this. :)

I'm not willing to divluge my yearly wage or my weekly earnings (without tax deductions) for everyone to see, but feel free to send me a PM and I hopefully can disprove this. :)

I'd second this. I earned far less in the public sector, both as a Project Manager (on a multi-million pound construction project) and as a Contracts Auditor than I could have done in the private sector, with whom I was working.

Forgive me if i'm missing something obvious but how does quoting specific examples (which happen to be below the average) disprove the accuracy of the average in question?

Forgive me if i'm missing something obvious but how does quoting specific examples (which happen to be below the average) disprove the accuracy of the average in question?

Have a look at the second link Whitey posted, Trousers.

A lot of public sector workers have 'transferred' to the private sector (e.g. hospital cleaners, cooks, porters) bringing down the average of the private sector whereas once it brought down the average of the public sector.

And there are probably a lot more private sector burger jockeys (as an example) than there are low paid public sector workers.

But that doesn't mean, like for like, that public sector workers are better paid than their private sector counterparts.

Have a look at the second link Whitey posted, Trousers.

A lot of public sector workers have 'transferred' to the private sector (e.g. hospital cleaners, cooks, porters) bringing down the average of the private sector whereas once it brought down the average of the public sector.

And there are probably a lot more private sector burger jockeys (as an example) than there are low paid public sector workers.

But that doesn't mean, like for like, that public sector workers are better paid than their private sector counterparts.

Like for like, basic salaries were higher in the the private sector, however the gap has closed dramatically in recent years. If you then take into account the public sector pension provisions, then on balance they are probably comparable.

The public sector is about to get squeezed, however they will also benefit from much better redundancy payouts as well as having no worries that their company pension fund that they have been paying into for 40 years will disappear overnight.

Like for like, basic salaries were higher in the the private sector, however the gap has closed dramatically in recent years. If you then take into account the public sector pension provisions, then on balance they are probably comparable.

The public sector is about to get squeezed, however they will also benefit from much better redundancy payouts as well as having no worries that their company pension fund that they have been paying into for 40 years will disappear overnight.

Yes you're right on this score. Although of course if they've only been employed in the public sector for, say, 10 years then their public sector pension pot will be significantly less than if they'd been able to work until retirement because it will be frozen at the point of leaving.

At least with some private pensions you can 'port' them from job to job. You can't do that with a public sector pension.

I've just looked up redundancy pay for the public sector. It seems that the norm is one month's pay for every year of service compared to the norm of two weeks' pay for every year of service in the private sector.

But there are exceptions both ways on both sides.