Dog

Glasgow_Saint

Thinking of getting a dog (shar pei, pug or beagle)

Problem is me and the bird are out of the house from 8am till 6pm (Mon to Fri).

Will be looking for a dog walker and may look to build him a house in the garden so he can have a run round during day (garden is big)

However......Is it fair to leave him/her alone for 10 hours a day? :smt102

We have 2 cats too.

Get a big dog, sweaties tend to stick small dogs in the deep fat fryer.

Beagles smoke too much.

Shar-Pei are too agressive and have flakey skin.

Pugs snort and fart like a tramp, and you can put them in your pocket.

Pug wins.

ahh....may well be up your neck of the woods...in our timely stops in helensburgh

will be visiting glasgee....

maybe I could walk your dog for you..? or entertain your missus whilst you walk it..?

You're a gentleman!

Helenburgh golf course is real nice, some cracking views accross the Clyde!

Check it out (if you like golf)

When are you there? I might be able to hook you up with one or two Scottish open tickets? (Loch Lomond)

Thinking of getting a dog (shar pei, pug or beagle)

Problem is me and the bird are out of the house from 8am till 6pm (Mon to Fri).

Will be looking for a dog walker and may look to build him a house in the garden so he can have a run round during day (garden is big)

However......Is it fair to leave him/her alone for 10 hours a day? :smt102

We have 2 cats too.

Pug. That is the dog for you GS.

We have one and there is no need to walk the lazy bastards, no need to train them (they are untrainable) and they will eat any old crap that you put in front of them.

Thay are extremely thick which is a double edged sword tbh. They have hilariously short snouts too, which is countered by them having extremely long tongues for a dog their size which is great for getting the last dregs out of cups, negating the need to wash up.

We are planning on getting another one soon as mrs hamster wants a black one.

The secret to leaving a dog alone all day is to keep them occupied, also which breed you get is important. Working dogs are a no-no as they will use their unspent energies in destructive ways. If you have a large garden then a dog run and kennels is a good idea as long as they don't bark all day.

Pug's suffer from numerous health problems and require alot of looking after whereas a Shar-Pei is quite content to be in it's own company and generally don't bark alot.

We have had a single dog for years but recently bought another to keep it company and you can tell that the dog is much happier.

I have a Weimeraner, and he's usually left alone from 8am until about 3pm, which works fine for him, as he usually just sleeps. We take him for a good walk in the morning (at least 30mins) and that seems to settle him down and keep his energy down for the rest of the day. He's nearly 2 years old now, but when we first got him as a 6 month old pup he was very hyperactive and destructive when left alone for extended periods of time, and even now he whines if there's someone else in the house but they're not with him.

Hiring a dog walker would be a great idea, as it means that they're not alone all day in the house, and the companies that I know of walk dogs 4 or 5 at a time, so they get a good run around with lots of other dogs, which tires them out.

If you get a puppy, then you are gonna need to take holiday (a lot of holiday) to train it.

And although the same could be true of any rescue dog, you could look around and find an elder dog that is already house trained and needs a home. They are loads out there on the web.

People will rightly tell you about breed characteristics and this is especially important when it come to health, but when it come to behaviour it is all down to training! SO, you COULD get a Jack Russel that is actually chilled out or a really selfish lab etc etc etc.

ten hours IS a long time for any dog, so entertainment, access to the garden, at the very least a visitor during the day will be paramount.

Probably your best bet if the dog is gonna be left alone for long periods of time is to go for an ex-racing grey hound. Thousands come to the end of their 'useful' life every year and go into rescue. They are loving, loyal (after all, you'll be the first human to show it attention) a little bit daft (like a dog should be) and they sleep all the bloody time!

If you get a puppy, then you are gonna need to take holiday (a lot of holiday) to train it.

And although the same could be true of any rescue dog, you could look around and find an elder dog that is already house trained and needs a home. They are loads out there on the web.

People will rightly tell you about breed characteristics and this is especially important when it come to health, but when it come to behaviour it is all down to training! SO, you COULD get a Jack Russel that is actually chilled out or a really selfish lab etc etc etc.

ten hours IS a long time for any dog, so entertainment, access to the garden, at the very least a visitor during the day will be paramount.

Probably your best bet if the dog is gonna be left alone for long periods of time is to go for an ex-racing grey hound. Thousands come to the end of their 'useful' life every year and go into rescue. They are loving, loyal (after all, you'll be the first human to show it attention) a little bit daft (like a dog should be) and they sleep all the bloody time!

was going to say the same thing, I have quite a few customers who have those and they never seem to be awake for long, guess its because they've been worked so hard.

Greyhounds are a good bet because they need surprisingly little exercise, but the big problem with an old dog is that a) it'll soon die and a pets death is always upsetting, and b) because it's an older dog you'll get more vets bills.

Greyhounds are a good bet because they need surprisingly little exercise, but the big problem with an old dog is that a) it'll soon die and a pets death is always upsetting, and b) because it's an older dog you'll get more vets bills.

This really. It's much more fulfilling to get a dog from a pup and rear it, to be able to call it your own after you've looked after it for 12 years or however long.

Pug. That is the dog for you GS.

We have one and there is no need to walk the lazy bastards, no need to train them (they are untrainable) and they will eat any old crap that you put in front of them.

Thay are extremely thick which is a double edged sword tbh. They have hilariously short snouts too, which is countered by them having extremely long tongues for a dog their size which is great for getting the last dregs out of cups, negating the need to wash up.

We are planning on getting another one soon as mrs hamster wants a black one.

I love pugs always have. A pug was my number one choice, but then my sister got one 6 months ago........This didn't deter me, but did open my eyes to other dog breeds. The Shar Pei is a lovely looking dog, but skin problems are a concern. The girlfriend prefers the Beagle.

However if we do decide to get a dog, I think a Pug is the winner.

sick+pug.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0TTXDM86AJ1CB68A7P02&Expires=1275945150&Signature=ZEH6i4UaK9Daep9HgnyhG36GeNA%3d

Pug pictures eh?

I'll dig a few out but my fave reveals a little too much of me (NSFW) I may risk it though for your delectation.

re the health probs, Shar Pai's (sp) have eye probs. Then again eventually every dog will succumb to something eventually. Our little Yorkie was 18 before her health waned, and in all honesty she was hardly ever exercised and shared her diet with us (mrs h's fault not mine I hasten to add).

I can sort of see the arguments against 'breeding' as ultimately somewhere along the line in-breeding and it's inherent problems will surface. I bet many more pups than we will ever know about will never see the second week of their poor little lives due to not fitting the criteria.

In support oif the pug camp, Boo is the funniest dog I have ever known; he sits on my head and nibbles my ears sometimes and if I dare tell Cosmic (son's Patterdale) how handsome he is, Boo will launch himself at him and I can assure you that although relatively smnall Boo is one hell of a lump when running at full speed straight at you.

A Pug will never puncture your football either, although they may try.

Pics later.

hamser

Here is Boo (Pug) and Cosmic (Patterdale):

picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=436

Boo,

On the ****, the ****, the ****.

For Matt LeTiss, LeTiss, LeTiss:

picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=435

Note - Hook Norton Brewery, a dog with exceedingly cultured taste buds.

Cap'n Boo, working his passage:

"Work you say! WTF is work?"

picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=434

They do say that dogs and owners often look alike, H :D

Dangerous ground b, not MY dog.

Isn't he cute though?

I have a great one of him sleeping with mrs h, sharing a pillow but am forbidden to put it up here. Shame as I love it when they are both asleep, peace and quiet apart from the farting and snorting.

we never let him slepp with us at home, so when she (mrs h's idea) suggested that he share our bed on the boat, I said 'what about the smell?' She replied @Oh, he'll get used to it, I did' Very quick witted for a pikey is mrs h.

I now have two huskys. When we only had the one she used to rip the house up if left alone for even a short time. Now we have the second one they can be left all day without causing any damage ( dont leave out any food ). The problem is generally boredom, they tend to entertain each other now.

You're right, I should put my avatar as a picture of a tower of some sort that is vaguely phallic ;)

I honestly never meant it to appear thus. It is actually a tower in Braunston which caught me eye recently. Not sure of it's history but I just like it. Also at Braunston is a lovely church steeple.

Now that I can see the phallic aspect I shall change it forthwith and apologise for any a=offence caused to the fairer sex.

I honestly never meant it to appear thus. It is actually a tower in Braunston which caught me eye recently. Not sure of it's history but I just like it. Also at Braunston is a lovely church steeple.

Now that I can see the phallic aspect I shall change it forthwith and apologise for any a=offence caused to the fairer sex.

You're forgiven. Nice dog by the way.