Anybody need crew?

suewhistle

End of term this week, no footie training or skiing and I need to do something for the summer..

So, Day Skipper (theory) and DSC radio ticket. Limited experience: around Italy as watch leader on 60 footer, Falmouth - Crosshaven, around Channel Islands and Brittany, and of course the Solent and Cherbourg Milk Runs (214' IIRC) (from when I lived in 'Ampshire).

Any leads, anybody? Surface vessels only TDD!

around - as in around an area. Actually I think you can if you go into the Morbihan to Vannes and then pick up the canals up towards* St. Malo: but you wouldn't want a fin keeler!

*towards, as in "the general direction of" - I don't have a French canals pilot book to hand...

End of term this week, no footie training or skiing and I need to do something for the summer..

So, Day Skipper (theory) and DSC radio ticket. Limited experience: around Italy as watch leader on 60 footer, Falmouth - Crosshaven, around Channel Islands and Brittany, and of course the Solent and Cherbourg Milk Runs (214' IIRC) (from when I lived in 'Ampshire).

Any leads, anybody? Surface vessels only TDD!

I think you're being overly modest. Hardly limited, is it..? :)

I think you're being overly modest. Hardly limited, is it..? :)

Thanks, but i sometimes feel I don't what I'm doing! Plus I'm English, so a story from the round Italy trip (Sardinia to Venice to be exact). I shared a watch with a young American who had been on the boat for some weeks before hand on the way from the UK. We'd share helming, and I can't remember on how many occasions on night watch I told him to ease it a bit:

"I know what I'm doing"

Bang.. taken aback. Off-watch disturbed and I got it in the neck from the skipper. Not saying it didn't happen to me (I'm used to sloops not schooners cough cough), but I learnt to hate that phrase!

Sue,

Only last week I saw an ad for crew for a holiday narrow-boat. Don't expect the wages would compare to europe (iirc it was £150 per week, incl food)? Own cabin in seperate boat.

I was sure it was on Appolloduck.co.uk but have searched and searched to no avail.

I'll have another delve later if it is the sort of thing you'd consider?

Sue,

Only last week I saw an ad for crew for a holiday narrow-boat. Don't expect the wages would compare to europe (iirc it was £150 per week, incl food)? Own cabin in seperate boat.

I was sure it was on Appolloduck.co.uk but have searched and searched to no avail.

I'll have another delve later if it is the sort of thing you'd consider?

Ta Hamster: no it was more sailing boats, and even unpaid just to get out on the water. I love the mountains but do miss the sea.

I don't earn anything for the next three months apart from the odd private lesson and I really don't want to teach* at summer school again. (*Teach, supervise, put to bed, hoik out of the wrong dorm, visit police station after inevitable shop-lifting incident, visit Casualty after inevitable...). So if I could earn....

Still, just been on The News website for the latest Pompey story and saw a temporary job at the Farnborough Air Show for Italian and French speakers: so that would cover my trip to the UK and the odd Saints ticket, and booking fee...

I'll have a look at Apolloduck though, ta. My other option is crewseekers but as so many Solent types on here I thought it worth a try.

Thanks, but i sometimes feel I don't what I'm doing! Plus I'm English, so a story from the round Italy trip (Sardinia to Venice to be exact). I shared a watch with a young American who had been on the boat for some weeks before hand on the way from the UK. We'd share helming, and I can't remember on how many occasions on night watch I told him to ease it a bit:

"I know what I'm doing"

Bang.. taken aback. Off-watch disturbed and I got it in the neck from the skipper. Not saying it didn't happen to me (I'm used to sloops not schooners cough cough), but I learnt to hate that phrase!

Wouldn't mind betting he learned to sail in a sailing dinghy. I always sail a keelboat slightly more off the wind than a sailing dinghy, even though it can probably go tighter, because I feel the dinghy can react much faster than the keelboat. Besides, a keelboat in irons, in busy waters is a bloody dangerous thing. Biggest boat I've taken charge of was 46ft. A 60 footer takes some looking after, unless set up well, I would imagine.

As far as sometimes feeling as though you don't know what you're doing, we all get that feeling. I think it's a good idea not to be over confident on the water. I feel trouble is always waiting for those who are too co.cksure of themselves.

Edited by St Landrew

Wouldn't mind betting he learned to sail in a sailing dinghy. I always sail a keelboat slightly more off the wind than a sailing dinghy, even though it can probably go tighter, because I feel the dinghy can react much faster than the keelboat. Besides, a keelboat in irons, in busy waters is a bloody dangerous thing. Biggest boat I've taken charge of was 46ft. A 60 footer takes some looking after, unless set up well, I would imagine.

As far as sometimes feeling as though you don't know what you're doing, we all get that feeling. I think it's a good idea not to be over confident on the water. I feel trouble is always waiting for those who are too co.cksure of themselves.

Ours is 63 foot.

A

M

A

T

E

U

R

AND we have both got our Helmsman's ceretificates. any time you need a lesson in how to handle a real boat PM me.

Sereious note StL, I recently learnt how to reverse the bugger, as they say it's easy when you know ho, but I just studied the lads in our home marina and suddenly the penny dropped. I even got asked by a vet in Windsor to show her how to do it on Sunday but declined as I fully expected to balls it up...far too many gongoozlers for my liking.

Exciting news to anyone who's interested actually, mrs h and myself are actively looking at narrowboats to live aboard atm. mrs is gonna officially retire and I'm gonna commute from Newbury. Can't wait and So excited.

Susun Whistle, I thought you'd done canals in France? England (and wales if you include the Pontys****e) are the most colourful and historically important canals in the World, give them a try if you get cance.

That might be an offer too good to refuse. :D

its a while away but we'll be moored in newbury and you shall always be welcome aboard landy.. we've agreed o get a tweaked moped maybe an old puch maxi?

just make sure you have a bottle of something in your hand when you come a knockin'.

Susun Whistle, I thought you'd done canals in France? England (and wales if you include the Pontys****e) are the most colourful and historically important canals in the World, give them a try if you get cance.

No, never done French canals (apart from the channel up to Carentan) and tidal rivers e.g. Treguier. Yep, if I get the opportunity I'll certainly take it up.

its a while away but we'll be moored in newbury and you shall always be welcome aboard landy.. we've agreed o get a tweaked moped maybe an old puch maxi?

just make sure you have a bottle of something in your hand when you come a knockin'.

Newbury's very close to us too!

:smt064\\:D/:partyman:

I have a Contessa 32 which has an active class association. I know they run a crew register so it may be worth getting in touch. Failing that try contacting some local yacht clubs. Good luck, and I hope you bring some decent sailing weather with you!

Thanks, I'll probably put out the feelers at my old sailing club.

I was crewing once on a Contessa 32 which broached off St Cats in a club round the island race and then got a wrap. I still shudder - no one was wearing life-jackets.

I was crewing once on a Contessa 32 which broached off St Cats in a club round the island race and then got a wrap. I still shudder - no one was wearing life-jackets.

En Anglais please, or is it encoded so that us landlubbers can't figure out what you are talking about :cool:

En Anglais please, or is it encoded so that us landlubbers can't figure out what you are talking about :cool:

It means she was wearing some kind of dress pin near a street that had a lot of felines before she went to McD's and picked up a chicken lunch, I think.

HTH

I bet, its a big kite to handle when things get out of control! Talking of RTIR we did it a couple of years ago and won our class at the first attempt. Met Shirley Robertson at the prize giving and she told us to quit while we were ahead, so we have, back to lazing around drinking beer in the sun, proper sailing!

Newbury's very close to us too!

:smt064\\:D/:partyman:

What would you be 'bringing to the party' though b? Landy has his wit and wisdom (plus, he's a Mod). Would you be up for pumping my stern grease-tube perhaps? Or maybe you could do what mrs hamster does and sit in the cratch area necking Pinot occasionally coming astern with a cup of tea and a peck on the cheek?

tbh, I am not sure why I take her with me, she's a bit of a liabilty when she's squiffy. Last time on the cut with 4 grandkids, our only Grand-daughter fell in whilst moored at Crick and whilst I threww my clothes off and dived in mrs h just popped her head up (glass in hand) and asked what all the screaming was for. "Nothing darling, just saving YOUR grandchildren's lives, carry on with what you were doing". "Oh alright, cup of tea anyone?"

When a couple of days later a Grandson fell in, I lifted him out with a one arm superhuman lift. A neighbouring barjee (this was Braunston), lent him a towel to dry off. Got back to our boat and there she was again, feet up on the cratch, book in one hand, glass in t'other. She peered over the rim of her reading glasses and just said "Been swimming *****?", emptied her glass and held it out to me to refill it.

Just writing this is actually making me have second thoughts about this crazy water gypsy idea!

FAO Hamster

I may not be a mod (I was actually a rocker) but I do bring an element of glamour you know ;) Also Mr TF is a biochemist - that might be useful :smt102

So we're a much better deal than Landy.

I managed to break a TV set near Newbury by crashing into a lock wall - drunk in charge :D

FAO Hamster

I may not be a mod (I was actually a rocker) but I do bring an element of glamour you know ;) Also Mr TF is a biochemist - that might be useful :smt102

So we're a much better deal than Landy.

I managed to break a TV set near Newbury by crashing into a lock wall - drunk in charge :D

You'll fit right in.

Can you handle a windlass?

Does mr tf's bio-chemistry skills stretch to helping landy and I to check if the Lock Stock's pipes need cleaning? There are a lot of pub's lines that I am duty bound to test over the next couple of years b, it's my way of 'giving something back' to society.

fwiw, you know full well that you and mr tf are always welcome on any boat that I am skipper of.

Met Shirley Robertson at the prize giving and she told us to quit while we were ahead, so we have, back to lazing around drinking beer in the sun, proper sailing!

Now that is my sort of sailing too! I started when I moved to a little village outside P****y and met some guys in the local pub. Myself and the lodger decided to join the local sailing club (her because she wanted to meet someone - now married) and me because i fancied sailing and cheaper beer!....

PS: Hamster, you do realise most boating fatalities happen between the boat and a hostelry. I think that probably applies both on the sea shore and on the river. Now we never used to drink on board but our routines for mooring/getting ashore/getting to a pub with decent beer used to be slliiiickk.

Apparently it's some thread related to Barasti Bar or Chi, something to do with pulling Emirates Hosties I think.

Just remember ppes when confronted with one the 100% never fails chat up line response is

"So, what do you do?"

I work for Emirates

"Oh, what's that?"

Works every time allegedly