Umbro Anthem Ad

theyin

anyone else think the ad is cringeworthy in its attempts to be all pc and give equal status in numbers to our ethnic countrymen? I'm all for acknowledging our multi-cultural status but even my middle eastern missus who just got her indefinite leave to remain visa having done the 'how English are you test', pointed out the country was still by far an Anglo-Saxon one.

You can just imagine the client-agency meetings with people fretting about how many of this and what about that.

Edited by theyin
forgot something

I was thinking the same thing, about that, and lots of other adverts. They always have to have one of each so no one gets left out. :) This country is about 90% white but its never reflected in adverts such as this.

On another issues the most compliained about advertisment of the last 12 months was a bus adverts which said 'there is definetly a god'. It got about 3 times as many comlaints as another advert that said 'that is defintetly no god'!!!! As a christian that really hacks me off. What does that offend people?

I was thinking the same thing, about that, and lots of other adverts. They always have to have one of each so no one gets left out. :) This country is about 90% white but its never reflected in adverts such as this.

On another issues the most compliained about advertisment of the last 12 months was a bus adverts which said 'there is definetly a god'. It got about 3 times as many comlaints as another advert that said 'that is defintetly no god'!!!! As a christian that really hacks me off. What does that offend people?

Think you'll find it said "there's probably no god". What hacks you off? that the pro-christian advert got more complaints or that the atheist advert existed in the first place?

Think you'll find it said "there's probably no god". What hacks you off? that the pro-christian advert got more complaints or that the atheist advert existed in the first place?

Quite right. I was offended that the pro-religion adverts were allowed to explicitly state 'There is a god', while the Atheist adverts were prevented from being definitive, and forced to use the term 'probably'. Despite the lack of evidence fairly conclusively supporting the Atheist view.

Each to one’s own on the religion thing IMO. I have friends who believe and friends who don't. I've given up trying to work out why the believers do so, they can't justify it, but why should they? We all sometime do things without reason, just because we can, if other people want to believe things without reason, why should I not let them?

This sums it all up pretty definitively:

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.[/Quote]

Religion is based on faith. If you need proof, then you have no faith.

"I have faith that the accused was the person who committed the burglary at my property. No, I didn’t notice any indications of a break in, but I have faith that there was one. No, nothing was broken. No, nothing was stolen, but you must believe me that I am completely convinced that this man was is guilty. No, I didn't witness it, but my goldfish did and showed be through a vision. I also have a really old book which suggests a burglary might happen. I know it's been frequently rewritten and has dubious origins. Your honour, the law should be based on faith. If you need proof, then you have no faith.

No I think its quite sweet; I think there are more pressing issues out there to worry about. Living in Whitechapel, which must be 90-95% Asian; I am quite pleasantly surprised to see how many of the Asian kids are wearing England shirts. Loads of Bangladeshi/Indian chaps with England flags on their cars. West Indian and African guys are all mad about Arsenal, their native team and above all England for some reason.

Good to see, and also gives us some common ground to talk about.

My Dad used to have a cricket coaching book made by the ECC and in every picture illustrating practice drills there would be one Asian, one black, one white, one girl, and one kid in a wheelchair. It was so cringeworthy, yet hilarious how they must've thought this illustrated diversity and equality.

No I think its quite sweet; I think there are more pressing issues out there to worry about. Living in Whitechapel, which must be 90-95% Asian; I am quite pleasantly surprised to see how many of the Asian kids are wearing England shirts. Loads of Bangladeshi/Indian chaps with England flags on their cars. West Indian and African guys are all mad about Arsenal, their native team and above all England for some reason.

Good to see, and also gives us some common ground to talk about.

I live in Brixton myself & agree there's many of all creeds and colours out there who support England, but this is a metropolitan centre which is bound to be multicultural. The rest of the nation though witnessing some degree is by far and away still Anglo Saxon. Like I say, our multicultural heritage should be acknowledged but this is simply the efforts of those that are too concerned with the pc brigade who are too soon to bring out the arguement that the cross of St George & any other showing of national pride is a step towards the far right. I would hope our ethnic cousins would be as offended by this as anyone else.

Added to that, this only gives fuel to the fire to those who espouse the values of the BNP & that other crowd of halfwits who tried attaching themselves to football a while back. English National League or something or other.