Moles

CB Saint

Its mole season, again.:mad:

The first mole hill of the year has just appeared in the middle of the lawn. Last night the little b'stard staked his claim to my garden and has spent today expanding his borders (and destroying mine). So before he and his brood completely wreck my garden who knows the best way of dealing with the s0ds.

I have tried the sonic sticks but they seem to use them as landmarks. I am open to all ideas, lethal or otherwise.

We get them in our borders but not on the lawn. There appears to be a thick, yet porous, membrane about 6 inches down which must put them off. Not very practical to start ripping up the lawn though.

As for getting rid of them, nothing sold as 'humane' seems to work, sorry.

Take a garden chair, a garden lamp, a shotgun and some strong stimulants.

Stay up all night and as soon as you notice the formation of a molehill....... BANG!

That'll learn the little b*stards.

I know some one who tried this to rid himself of a particularly pesky badger. He sat in a desk chair with a shotgun in his lap waiting for the badger to turn up. Anyway there was a bit of nip in the air so he took with him a half bootle of scotch to keep his spirits up and sat sipping away whilst patiently waiting.

At some point as dawn was breaking he awoke to find the empty bottle of whiskey lying on th ground and half a dozen badger dug holes around his chair. He has not lived it down to this day.

Moles not mice!!

I reckon one of these would be more use....

reticulatedpythonindonesia.jpg

Might have trouble fitting down a mole tunnel. I'd say you're better off with something in the 8-10ft range, such as a fully grown Royal python or yellow anaconda.

Does it eat cats as well?

He could when fully grown.

For cats your probably best off with a Burmese or reticulated python

Moles not mice!!

I reckon one of these would be more use....

reticulatedpythonindonesia.jpg

When you are not stuffing them down mole holes, where exactly do you keep a snake like that?

I imagine that it would be a bit of a struggle to get him down the hole if he decides that he doesn't fancy it. I have visions of the men behaving badly scene when tony tries to flush the snake down the bog.

Anyhows, the snake idea will not fly at chez CB. Mrs CB has pathalogical fear of snakes. If it got loose I would end up trying to find something further up the food chain to deal with it.

When you are not stuffing them down mole holes, where exactly do you keep a snake like that?

I imagine that it would be a bit of a struggle to get him down the hole if he decides that he doesn't fancy it. I have visions of the men behaving badly scene when tony tries to flush the snake down the bog.

Anyhows, the snake idea will not fly at chez CB. Mrs CB has pathalogical fear of snakes. If it got loose I would end up trying to find something further up the food chain to deal with it.

I can't think of anything higher up the food chain than a fully grown retic. You might just want to gas out the mole.

Its mole season, again.:mad:

The first mole hill of the year has just appeared in the middle of the lawn. Last night the little b'stard staked his claim to my garden and has spent today expanding his borders (and destroying mine). So before he and his brood completely wreck my garden who knows the best way of dealing with the s0ds.

I have tried the sonic sticks but they seem to use them as landmarks. I am open to all ideas, lethal or otherwise.

My Dad used to use traps very effective

http://www.trapman.co.uk/mole-trap-catching-hints.htm

The golf club I belong to uses a proper powerful mole trap which snaps shut and kills them. I think it breaks their necks. The jaws are placed in the run and the heads protrude as soon as the trap is sprung the position of the heads change.

I'm a dab hand at setting mole traps (you should be able to buy them from a hardware shop):

scissor-mole-traps.jpg

Between mole hills find the tunnel by digging a little hole (just enough to insert the trap) and position the mole trap so that when he (or she) hits the ring the jaws snap shut. Make sure no light can get in though by "gently" covering around the exposed part of the trap with grass and such like making sure you don't prevent the trap from springing. Within a week you should have killed them.