Paula Poolton Trial

Um Bongo

i thought that too, and having known Paula and Roger, it was a very bitter pill to swallow thinking that he might get away with it. I honestly thought he would be found not guilty, but prayed to the contrary and our prayers have been answered. He is a dangerous man, not just because of what he did to Paula but also things that have come to light during the investigation. I assure you that every woman in Hampshire and beyond are just that bit safer now he has been locked up...

rot in hell , you evil bastard :mad:

Having followed the trial the conclusion I came to was I don't think there was enough evidence to say that beyond reasonable doubt he did it.

Was concerned with that as well, there was really only circumstantial evidence. No DNA or murder weapon. I bet we'll see an appeal pretty soon.

Was concerned with that as well, there was really only circumstantial evidence. No DNA or murder weapon. I bet we'll see an appeal pretty soon.

Thank god you lot were not the prosecution lawyers. In law he is now GUILTY = he did it and it was, in the eyes of the jurey beyond reasonable doubt. Lock him up and let the b**stard rot in hell.

Wow, I worked closely with Roger at Saints when I was a steward there in the away section for years, many a time we've been stood chatting and had a drink after work and on the odd occasion gone out into town. He seemed pretty quiet and never really showed any emotion, even when we were throwing abusive fans out the door. Following the trial I thought he might be found guilty, I remember when he told me he was leaving the away section to join the response unit (where Paula worked) must've been the worse decision he ever made!

Hopefully Paula's family can move and Roger gets the sentence he deserves.

Having followed the trial the conclusion I came to was I don't think there was enough evidence to say that beyond reasonable doubt he did it.

What is reported in the media is a very small part of what is presented to the court. Unless you went to the trial every day, I don't think you can say whether there was enough evidence or not.

Wow, I worked closely with Roger at Saints when I was a steward there in the away section for years, many a time we've been stood chatting and had a drink after work and on the odd occasion gone out into town. He seemed pretty quiet and never really showed any emotion, even when we were throwing abusive fans out the door. Following the trial I thought he might be found guilty, I remember when he told me he was leaving the away section to join the response unit (where Paula worked) must've been the worse decision he ever made!

Hopefully Paula's family can move and Roger gets the sentence he deserves.

i'd reckon it was even worse for Paula,tbh.:(

It seemed that the police took quite a bit of time building up a case against this chap, with very little forensic evidence to confict him.

I'm sure that they felt that this time was well spent.

Obviously the CPS, or it's latest name, agreed that a prosecution was a valid move or it would not have progressed?

The lack of evidence in terms of forensics allowed the possibility of some one else being involved. As some one else has said I was not in court every day so I don't know details. I guess we will learn all about Roger now, he has a colourful past according to a poster on here.

I didn't know Paula, but know from what was posted on here at the time of her murder, that she was a Saint and therefore a member of our family, so i'm pleased that her killer is out of circulation and one can only hope that he repents and paulas family can now start to pick up their shattered lives.

i thought that too, and having known Paula and Roger, it was a very bitter pill to swallow thinking that he might get away with it. I honestly thought he would be found not guilty, but prayed to the contrary and our prayers have been answered. He is a dangerous man, not just because of what he did to Paula but also things that have come to light during the investigation. I assure you that every woman in Hampshire and beyond are just that bit safer now he has been locked up...

rot in hell , you evil bastard :mad:

Saint Boggy, I've never met you & have no idea who you are, but I admire you still posting on Paula threads

You were obviously friends with her, but I'll never forget your angry post towards a fellow poster when they suggested she was having an affair with a fellow steward

Most posters disappear when they have egg on their face, so thumbs up from me

Saint Boggy, I've never met you & have no idea who you are, but I admire you still posting on Paula threads

You were obviously friends with her, but I'll never forget your angry post towards a fellow poster when they suggested she was having an affair with a fellow steward

Most posters disappear when they have egg on their face, so thumbs up from me

i got angry when people were making up their own minds about her having affairs left,right and centre. totally unsubstantiated gossip. and it wasn't about a fellow steward, it was someone involved with the police (or something like that, i can't remember now)........ she had an affair, yes, so do loads of men AND women, none of them deserve to be butchered for it and then have their names dragged through the mud by complete strangers who know eff all about her. I didn't know at the time about Paula and Roger , but it was AFTER the affair became public that i posted that comment, and i would do it again .She was a good person ,and i will defend her regardless of what you or anybody else thinks.You may see it as 'egg on my face' but i couldn't give a monkeys what you think.

i can only assume by your smug tone that you are an aquaintance or family member of Roger Kearney, or perhaps you were the poster that i got angry with?

why else would you remember what i'd posted over 18 months ago?

i've searched the archive to jog my memory, but can't find the thread, but please feel free to indulge me.

Regardless of the chronology of what was said and when, you fail to realise that her friends were concerend about her disappearance and then completely shocked and dismayed by the discovery of her body. I am not one to sit idolly by and let people slate a friend of mine, people who are merely forwarding half-truths and gossip, because of something a mate of a mate heard ,blah blah blah. If that is something to be looked down upon by you, then i am happy to be a figure of distane to you.

and next time, save your sarcasm for someone who actually gives a sh1t!

Edited by saint boggy

• 6 years later...

Did anyone else watch the 2 parter Conviction:Death at the Station that concluded on Wednesday. Covered the Inside Justice organisation gathering evidence in order to decide whether to appeal for a fresh appeal on Kearney's behalf . Strange programme, seemed to leave more unanswered questions than it solved (maybe that was the point) , and a strange (if not to say concerning under the circumstances) "twist" at the end (being vague so as no to reveal spoilers for anyone still intending to watch it).

Hard to make up my mind about it watching that, after all the organisation's role was to try and prove an unsafe conviction, not that he was innocent or find out who done it if that was the case. So much of what was revealed in court never got a mention. But what was shown seemed to be a case of the evidence being made to fit the suspect, not the other way round.

Saw it - can't get my head around convicting someone based on circumstantial evidence alone, regardless of how strong it might appear. There seemed to be a few instances whereby there could be another explanation (car cctv etc). Regardless of whether he's guilty or not, it made me wonder how you'd feel if you were wrongly convicted and given a life sentence for something you'd not done. Can't think of anything worse.

As there was no physical evidence against Kearney, he knows that was his get out clause.

Listening to his phone conversations from jail, it was obvious how devious he was - who forgets they had an affair??!!

Yep, if I had to form an opinion based on that programme alone it would be that yes, he did it, but not in the way and/or place that the Police presented as prosecution, so he's hoping that the lack of evidence to what really happened is going to get him off. Wouldn't want to be sat on a jury deciding someone's fate on such evidence, or lack of, though

Saw it - can't get my head around convicting someone based on circumstantial evidence alone, regardless of how strong it might appear. There seemed to be a few instances whereby there could be another explanation (car cctv etc). Regardless of whether he's guilty or not, it made me wonder how you'd feel if you were wrongly convicted and given a life sentence for something you'd not done. Can't think of anything worse.

Was thinking the same thing. That's my one and only objection to capital punishment - you can't correct a mistake.

Watched it last night, he comes across as being guilty to me. Too many dodgy answers to the questions he was given, considering he is already inside facing life - if he was innocent there would be no reason lie or give vague answers in that situation.

Circumstantial evidence is still evidence - without seeing all of it presented in context you cannot draw any conclusions so a TV show showing some is a bit pointless.