Pirelli's Social Club - Eastleigh

EastleighSoulBoy

Few memories went up in flames there.Very sad.

They used to have a wonderful dance floor and the place, in it's heyday, was the centre for all the sporting associations within the Eastleigh plant. Billiards, snooker, darts, table tennis whilst in the grounds there was a heated swimming pool and a top class bowling green. The football club/ground was relocated to Chestnut Avenue in 1965 when the Oil Filled Cable department was opened and a new car park built for the extra employees.

I had a chat with an old ex Pirelli mate about a year ago who informed me that the dance floor was ruined with wisteria growing up through it from the cellar below!

Solent reported, 16.00, that two young boys, 12 & 15 have been cautioned and may be charged with arson after the fire yesterday.

They used to have a wonderful dance floor and the place, in it's heyday, was the centre for all the sporting associations within the Eastleigh plant. Billiards, snooker, darts, table tennis whilst in the grounds there was a heated swimming pool and a top class bowling green. The football club/ground was relocated to Chestnut Avenue in 1965 when the Oil Filled Cable department was opened and a new car park built for the extra employees.

I had a chat with an old ex Pirelli mate about a year ago who informed me that the dance floor was ruined with wisteria growing up through it from the cellar below!

Solent reported, 16.00, that two young boys, 12 & 15 have been cautioned and may be charged with arson after the fire yesterday.

remember watching my old man playing football there in 1960,

played Darts there for Old Saints Supporters club in early 80's

we were really simple kids , no pc's or x boxes, just darts, snooker and pool

I used to go there for Mo'jive. It was one of the first places in the area to have that and was very popular with dances on a couple of nights a week and sometimes freestyle at the weekends. Then the venue became unavailable 6/7 years ago and the Mo'jive had to go elsewhere. The floor was excellent and one of the best sprung dance floors in the area. What a shame that it has now been burnt to the ground by a couple of scrotty little yobs. Unfortunately they are too young for the magistrate to throw the book at them, but a shame that their parents cannot be held to account in some way.

remember watching my old man playing football there in 1960,

played Darts there for Old Saints Supporters club in early 80's

we were really simple kids , no pc's or x boxes, just darts, snooker and pool

My neighbour's sons played for Pirelli, Ray & Norman Phillips. Both have now passed away I believe.

My neighbour's sons played for Pirelli, Ray & Norman Phillips. Both have now passed away I believe.

Yes i played against Norman, in the old Hampshire one.I used to play with local rivals Swaythling, who morphed into Eastleigh.Still work with Pirelli's, although now known as Prysmian, and enjoyed many a cheap pint in the club.

Yes i played against Norman, in the old Hampshire one.I used to play with local rivals Swaythling, who morphed into Eastleigh.Still work with Pirelli's, although now known as Prysmian, and enjoyed many a cheap pint in the club.

When I served my time there, 72 -76, we used to go up the club at lunchtime for a quick couple of pints and then out onto the grass at the back and 35 odd minutes of football. There were a few good football players working in Cable accessories and Drum Shop then. Johnny Keenan, Mick and Graham Goater. Also Jim Murray from maintenance.

My old man went from Fords to Swaythling when Bobby Hunt became Manager, played mainly with the Reserves as the old head with a lot of youngsters.

• 4 years later...

Hi EastleighSoulBoy, as the daughter of Ray Phillips I can confirm he is still alive & kicking!! My Uncle Norman has unfortunately passed away though. My Dad wondered what your name is as he couldn't think which house it may have been where you lived next door?

Hi EastleighSoulBoy, as the daughter of Ray Phillips I can confirm he is still alive & kicking!! My Uncle Norman has unfortunately passed away though. My Dad wondered what your name is as he couldn't think which house it may have been where you lived next door?

Your Grandad, Arthur, was a keen gardener and grew all the family's veg. The back of their garden came along the side of ours. Due to stupidity from the odd individual on here I'll not give my whole name. I'm Andy, the eldest child. Would your name start with an S and you used to work at a bank in Chandler's Ford about 25 years ago or so? I'm so glad that your dad is still around.

Your Grandad, Arthur, was a keen gardener and grew all the family's veg. The back of their garden came along the side of ours. Due to stupidity from the odd individual on here I'll not give my whole name. I'm Andy, the eldest child. Would your name start with an S and you used to work at a bank in Chandler's Ford about 25 years ago or so? I'm so glad that your dad is still around.

Oh okay, so that must have been the house in Nightingale Ave where I grew up & you lived in Jackdaw Rise? No I'm the youngest of their 5x children and you remember my eldest sibling Sally-Ann. My Dad was very pleased to hear he had been referenced but other fellow players would rennet him by his nickname "cutter" ha ha!