Bath Uni

Give it to Ron

I have a feeling Bath Saint is associated with it in some way.

I used to be a research fellow there. I'm now at Bristol. Strictly speaking, it's a Plateglass University (as opposed to the older, Victorian Red Bricks like Bristol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_glass_university). In terms of rankings, it is frequently in the top ten institutions in the UK (i.e. very good and very well-regarded), but rankings only give you a partial picture. Academically, it really depends on the specific department and course. The institution is VERY sports oriented (as much, if not more than Loughborough), and is almost totally focused on sciences and engineering (with a small humanities presence and a large Management School). It is a campus university, stuck up on a hill a couple of miles from the city centre. In the winter, being on campus can be a bit of an isolated existence. Bath is a lively, compact city but very expensive. For even more of a lively feel, quite a few students commute to Bristol for clubs and shopping.

On reflection, I would say that I found the sports orientation and dominance of sciences and engineering, coupled with the campus location, to be quite oppressive (ironic, given the very open, green setting). But, if you have a few quid to burn, don't mind going up and down the hill, and want a good degree, there are a lot worse places to go.

Something else worth adding, given your original question. Bear in mind that it is a very research intensive university. Given this, academic staff will be very focused on their research. While students won't be ignored, they are expected to get on with their work under their own steam and with less hand-holding than you would find at a more teaching-oriented institution. In many departments, they have some top academics, but your daughter can't expect to see them very often...

In terms of accommodation, beyond year 1, it is likely to be in a shared flat in the middle of Bath or in one of the houses on one of the hills going out of Bath. Either option will be pricey and involve a hike into the university for lectures and tutorials. When I left, they were cracking down heavily on parking. There is virtually no parking for students on campus and the roads all around the campus are residents only parking. So, lots of walking coupled with the U18 bus and/or get a bicycle.

My eldest daughter went to Bath University (she read Maths) and she loved it there.

In her second year she shared a house in Hanover Street (just off the A4) and in her third year she shared again, this time in Lower Bristol Road, near Green Park. Rents were quite expensive then, so I imagine it's the same now. She used to cycle up to the campus.

She absolutely loved her time there and they were very good to her when she suffered a relapse of her anorexia - very, very caring and supportive.

Many thanks for that Bath Saint you have funnily confirmed all the things I picked up on yesterday. Bus to Uni every day - that hill, accomodation costs, the traffic, the course was fine but the other bits that go with it were a concern.

She went to Bristol today and felt it was far more her, so its Bristol, Cardiff, Bath in that order at the mo.

Thanks for all the responses a great help.

I can't remember who it is on here that goes there but my daughter is thinking of going - we attended the open day yesterday and needed the 'real' story.

Any help appreciated on things like accomodation in second year, travel, lecturers, support.

Went with my son yesterday as well, he is thinking of studying Chemistry.

Looked a good uni

Ron, lots of my Sixth Formers who go to Bath find the campus somewhat isolated, particularly given its position at the top of a long steep hill! It is a very good university, so well worth considering. Visit unistats.com for some good information, and see if you can get hold of the students' alternative prospectus. Ultimately the key issue is whether your daughter is going to be happy there; as I tell my kids, three or four years of your life is a long time to spend being unhappy.

FWIW my eldest son went to Bristol to study Chemistry. He enjoyed his time, enjoyed the city and got a decent 2:1 degree. First year he was in Halls and then shared Student accomodation in the city. His words "The kids from British Schools were all very slow meeting people in the first weeks and spent a lot of time alone in their rooms and stuff, (the expat brats seemed to get going socially much faster) but there was lots to do, the city was great with student pubs gigs and stuff".

So he went, enjoyed it, did Chemistry which he enjoyed and two years on he has a darned good job in Europe from it all.

Me - I went once to drop off stuff for him at the Hall just after he arrived all I can say was the bits I saw seemed secure, comfortable and "in a way" homely, although I was a littel concerned at the long walk across the common to class in the dark winter evenings.

In his 2nd & 3rd years he shared student accomodation which was large houses with about 5 or 6 sharing, pretty much falling down and seemed a bit like The Young Ones but with girls sharing.

But point was it let him have fun, work hard and get his degree without becoming a Trotskist Dope smoking drop out, so I guess it worked.

I fell in love with Bath (and fell in love in Bath) whilst at Uni there - the sweeping terraces as you descend from the hills are outstanding! But you can always visit from Brizzle which is quite a nice city centre, with the usual amount of crap/violent suburbs. The modern languages course I did there was unusual (as said before - mainly science), but it was babeilicous!! The countryside between the two places and around about is also fantastic - dramatic without being ugly like Wales, lush without being plain like maybe Hampshire is. I worked in both places, but preferred Baaaaaarrrrffff!

Bath is pretty awesome. Been living here for 3 years and really enjoy it. Just got a job in Bristol, but going to remain living in Bath.

Can't say much about the university, other than, yes, it is at the top of a rather big hill. The bus service is pretty good (runs until 3am - two different companies) although it is quite expensive (not so bad if you buy a ticket for the whole term).

Bath is obviously quieter than Bristol in terms of nightlife etc, but depends on your daughter what she wants from the place she lives.

I went to uni in Aberystwyth - probably one of the least typical uni experiences you can have.

As a Bath graduate myself I would highly recommend the place. The campus is nice and the city is great - yes, a little bit expensive but well worth it. The University is ranked 27th in the whole world for job prospects on graduating so you can't get a lot better than that. When I was there they were just starting to develop the sports facilities and they are some of the best anywhere in the country. As a place to live it is way better than Bristol, IMO, so long as you ignore the swathes of American tourists in the summer! Saw a lot of up and coming bands at Moles club as well.