Labours Incapacity Slobs In The Firing Line

dune

On the Eve of President Obama calling the coalitions budget "necessary and courageous" David Cameron and his team have added to their growing respect by pledging to sort out Labours benefits culture by targeting the slobs on incapacity benefits. After 13 dark and dreary years of the nanny state taxing the workers to give to the Karen Matthews of the world it's liberating to have a government that's got its priorities right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7858141/Millions-face-incapacity-benefit-cuts-as-welfare-reforms-speed-up.html

On the Eve of President Obama calling the coalitions budget "necessary and courageous" David Cameron and his team have added to their growing respect by pledging to sort out Labours benefits culture by targeting the slobs on incapacity benefits. After 13 dark and dreary years of the nanny state taxing the workers to give to the Karen Matthews of the world it's liberating to have a government that's got its priorities right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7858141/Millions-face-incapacity-benefit-cuts-as-welfare-reforms-speed-up.html

john Hutton, the Work and Pensions Secretary, told MPs that the 2.7 million IB claimants would remain on their current benefit level, but could see that reduced if they failed to engage in work-focused interviews and agree an action plan.

Mr Hutton confirmed a target of taking one million people off IB in 10 years to save taxpayers up to £7bn a year. Accusing the Tories of pushing people on to IB to cut the jobless figures, he said: "It is time we brought this shameful legacy of Thatcherism to an end."

If i remember it was Thatcher's government that introduced incapacity benefit. It was widely criticized at the time as a convenient method of reducing the unemployment figures.

good old maggie now her own tory party is cleaning up her mess thank god.

I object most strongly to the term 'incapacity slobs'. My daughter is on IB as she has multiple sclerosis, not everyone is trying to cheat the system so please stop referring to her as an 'incapacity slob'.

Well said sir!

Unfortunately Stanley/Dune/whateverhisnextnamewillbe does love to tar all those on benefits as feckless slobs. It's a very unfair and sweeping generalisation as you rightly point out. However, he will be back to apologise to you and any other genuine claimants of I.B.

Well, far be it for me to defend Dune but I reckon your daughter is exactly the sort of person he'd think should receive benefits, whereas the "slobs" he refers to would include the guy I used to live next door to. He was claiming IB for back problems (had a mobility car and everything) and I caught him, one day, hanging from a drainpipe, one foot on the garage roof, adjusting his guttering. He then leapt about 8ft to the ground, landing perfectly and walking away. I was gobsmacked.

I object most strongly to the term 'incapacity slobs'. My daughter is on IB as she has multiple sclerosis, not everyone is trying to cheat the system so please stop referring to her as an 'incapacity slob'.

No one would call a multiple sclerosis sufferer a slob, the slobs are people who have a 'bad back' but then play sunday league football. I think people should be retested, so that those with genuine conditions can receive the support they need and those cheating the system can go sing for it

I was refering to the workshy incapacity slobs who make a life choice to sit of their fat arses and let the tax payers foot the bill. Your daughter clearly isn't one of these creatures. I have no issue with those with genuine disabilities and illnesses, it's the thousands of cheats that I despise.

I was refering to the workshy incapacity slobs who make a life choice to sit of their fat arses and let the tax payers foot the bill. Your daughter clearly isn't one of these creatures. I have no issue with those with genuine disabilities and illnesses, it's the thousands of cheats that I despise.

That's clarified it and, not surprisingly, I agree with you! (Don't collapse in a heap)

The feckless do need to be weeded out!

Thank you for clearing that up.

A person at my golf club has a disabled badge and parks his car outside the front door in a disabled bay then proceeds to walk 18 holes at least six days a week. I contacted the blue badge unit and was told that he was entitled to the badge because he was on disability. Nice work if you can get it.

you can shop benefit cheats but when you try they ask for so much detail you may as well not bother. They don't have the resources to chase up every reported false claim apparanteley so they just pay them. I know of a girl has 2 kids by 2 fathers and said she needed a holiday, so they paid her flights to spain where her parents live, and then when she returned to her penthouse style flat she complained she needed a dishwasher and got one. The girls own mother is claiming her and her husband are seperated and picked and chose a new home wasting more tax, needless to say she never did a days work either and gets more pension than my own mother who because of once refusing to claim didnt pay ni and had a shortfall in contributions. God it makes me mad

What about someone with depression or ME?

Now this is a difficult one, of course there are many scroungers who claim they suffer from depression who are actually bone idle but there are many genuine cases as well. Sufferers can struggle to learn/get confused when learning everyday practical tasks, have very low confidence and self esteem etc.

There are many sufferers of depression who have to work fairly slowly and methodically because of the poor medical state of their concentration, and are then accused of underperforming/poor work rate. Confidence gets even lower etc. etc.

The best way to help cure depression is working, unfortunately it's usually the clinically depressed who are the first to be shown the exit door. A very vicious circle.

Besides it's all very well for Osborne getting so many million off IB and into work, where the hell are all these jobs gonna come from??!

There are many healthy, highly experienced and motivated individuals who can't find work, let alone the scroungers.

A person at my golf club has a disabled badge and parks his car outside the front door in a disabled bay then proceeds to walk 18 holes at least six days a week. I contacted the blue badge unit and was told that he was entitled to the badge because he was on disability. Nice work if you can get it.

He may well have an internal illness that qualifies him derry. Not all disabilities are visible you know. For example, illness that relate to an inability to control bowel movements etc are able to have a blue badge as they may need to stop somewhere quickly to use a toilet etc.

Maybe he has autism.

There are people who do need the benefits a responsible welfare system can bring, but things have become too soft, the system is totally open to abuse.

It is therefore about time that the 'slobs' are dealt with. They must be dealt with to remove any risk of those that genuinely need it being tared with the same brush as the wasters. I doubt labour would have ever had the bottle to do it, fair play to the coalition.

Do you have any figures to show that they bring in more than they fecking spend?

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/annual_report/our-business/chairman.html

c.£226m paid to the treasury in 2009 compared to the c.£37m they receive from the tax payer (c.61 pence per person per year)

And then there's the indirect money they bring in.

All very good value for money IMHO

c.£226m paid to the treasury in 2009 compared to the c.£37m they receive from the tax payer (c.61 pence per person per year)

Indeed. The royal family is worth keeping, even if the very philosophy of a royal family is something you dissagree with, their symbolic value is outstanding.

What about someone with depression or ME?

Here's the simple answer...What would said person with ME, depression, or any other disability, be it genuine or not, do if they could no longer receive any form of benefit?

Would they go out and find a way to earn a living, doing something/anything that is within the scope of their capabilities?, or would they be so incapable of looking after themselves that they would literally starve to death?

Only the latter would get benefits in my book....It's amazing just how resourceful a human being can be when it needs to be.

one way to weed out the fakers is when they go down to the DSS to make a claim, then they should set off a fake fire alarm in which everyone runs out the office, leaving them there. If they are fake then they'll be up running with you. If they are claming for real then they willll be left there screaming for help. Then they can just come back in and say to them it's alright and don't cry. It's just a test and you have past. Here is your money.

Here's the simple answer...What would said person with ME, depression, or any other disability, be it genuine or not, do if they could no longer receive any form of benefit?

Would they go out and find a way to earn a living, doing something/anything that is within the scope of their capabilities?, or would they be so incapable of looking after themselves that they would literally starve to death?

Only the latter would get benefits in my book....It's amazing just how resourceful a human being can be when it needs to be.

What if doing something/anything within the scope of their capabilities means they can't even afford to eat?

So what if we get it wrong? The copious clouds of bluebottles will guide us to our mistakes.

I sincerely hope that you are never unfortunate enough to find yourself in that position.

Well, far be it for me to defend Dune but I reckon your daughter is exactly the sort of person he'd think should receive benefits, whereas the "slobs" he refers to would include the guy I used to live next door to. He was claiming IB for back problems (had a mobility car and everything) and I caught him, one day, hanging from a drainpipe, one foot on the garage roof, adjusting his guttering. He then leapt about 8ft to the ground, landing perfectly and walking away. I was gobsmacked.

Yep my next door neighbours are the same.Since we moved in 15 years ago have never done a proper days work they are both on incapacity "back problems".He spends all day doing strenuous DIY (up ladders , digging up the kitchen floor ,putting new cupboards in) she digging in the garden etc. They seem to have plenty of money having holidays and spending a fortune on the house.

Meanwhile I am working 6 days a week and my wife often 7 days a week........................

£5M BENEFITS FOR DISABLED MIGRANTS WHO FLEW HOME

MILLIONS of pounds of taxpayers’ money is being spent supporting disabled Eastern European migrants who have returned home.

More than £5million was sent abroad last year to 2,000 claimants who still get Disability Living Allowance even though they have left the country.

The benefit, worth up to £6,305 a year, is to pay for carers and the added expense of getting around for people who are disabled, have difficulties walking or are mentally ill.

Some 2,000 claimants who have returned to Eastern Europe and other EU states will continue to receive up to £121.25 a week after a European Court ruled that the Government must keeping paying.

Petra Boublikova, 35, is still receiving more than £100 a week in disability allowance despite returning to her native Czech Republic more than two years ago.

The mother of one applied for the benefit shortly after arriving in Britain in 2005, the year the labour market was opened up to the Czech Republic. Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia as they joined the EU.

Ms Boublikova, who has rheumatoid arthritis, qualified for the allowance at the end of 2007 and returned to Prague soon afterwards.

She said she could claim from the Czech government but would not as “it wouldn’t be nearly so much as the British money”.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/183668/-5m-benefits-for-disabled-migrants-who-flew-home

Edited by dune

Yep my next door neighbours are the same.Since we moved in 15 years ago have never done a proper days work they are both on incapacity "back problems".He spends all day doing strenuous DIY (up ladders , digging up the kitchen floor ,putting new cupboards in) she digging in the garden etc. They seem to have plenty of money having holidays and spending a fortune on the house.

Meanwhile I am working 6 days a week and my wife often 7 days a week........................

That is the activity which gets at people and does need stopping. The authorities do need to investigate exactly the 'incapacity' of each claimant and it's veracity.

As previously pointed out there are cost constraints in doing that though. Maybe the financial hurt in doing so would be recouped in the long run though?

£5M BENEFITS FOR DISABLED MIGRANTS WHO FLEW HOME

MILLIONS of pounds of taxpayers’ money is being spent supporting disabled Eastern European migrants who have returned home.

More than £5million was sent abroad last year to 2,000 claimants who still get Disability Living Allowance even though they have left the country.

The benefit, worth up to £6,305 a year, is to pay for carers and the added expense of getting around for people who are disabled, have difficulties walking or are mentally ill.

Some 2,000 claimants who have returned to Eastern Europe and other EU states will continue to receive up to £121.25 a week after a European Court ruled that the Government must keeping paying.

Petra Boublikova, 35, is still receiving more than £100 a week in disability allowance despite returning to her native Czech Republic more than two years ago.

The mother of one applied for the benefit shortly after arriving in Britain in 2005, the year the labour market was opened up to the Czech Republic. Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia as they joined the EU.

Ms Boublikova, who has rheumatoid arthritis, qualified for the allowance at the end of 2007 and returned to Prague soon afterwards.

She said she could claim from the Czech government but would not as “it wouldn’t be nearly so much as the British money”.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/183668/-5m-benefits-for-disabled-migrants-who-flew-home

Wrong though this thought might be, what would happen if I went to Prague, succesfully claimed their I.B. and promptly returned to the UK to continue working?

Wrong though this thought might be, what would happen if I went to Prague, succesfully claimed their I.B. and promptly returned to the UK to continue working?

You'd swiftly get onto the U.K gravy train and ditch the Czech benefits because we pay more.

Exhibit A: the number of people who spend half their life on Facebook bemoaning the benefits system and how they're incapable of working, blissfully unaware of the irony that quite a lot of jobs involve sitting in front of a computer all day...

LOL so you're suggesting a slow death sentence for anyone who gets made redundant in a recession, or anyone who can't get a job. Well I suppose it would bring our population down :rolleyes:

Like I've already pointed out I know quite a few healthy, motivated willing-to-work, highly qualified individuals who have been made redundant and have been on the dole on average for around a year.

A mate of mine got made redundant from a very well paid/respected job recently after working over 25 years, he has quite a few degrees/qualifications, endless experience, is a very clever bloke and is desperate for a job.

Last week Tesco's turned him down, saying they appreciated his application to stack shelves but they currently weren't recruiting.

Like I've said, it's all very well to encourage so many million off IB and into work, but where are the jobs going to come from??

If motivated people with endless qualifications/experience can't find jobs, how the hell are ex scroungers going to find anything?

IB was used as a tool by both the tories and Labour to move people from JSA as a way of massaging unemployment figures.

JCP employees were encouraged to do so so regions/areas could meet targets.

It should only apply to those in genuine need and not to the work shy, of whom we all want sorted as it crosses political boundaries.

I suppose if you're a middle aged man living at home with mum, with no kids and a fondness for the extreme right wing, a few worthless formal qualifications whilst employed in a low skilled and low paid job you would need something to rage about.

I suppose such a person would, but given your vile Nazi views on disabled people I would expect you'd be raging more than most and would support a complete abolishion of I.B.

In fact have little respect to posters such as dingbattigger and mouth off on another thread. You've shown your true colours on this subject plenty of times already.

Edited by dune

Yeah, in a lot of countries with poor welfare (the US?) these resourceful humans (desperate) will do what they can - stealing, mugging, drug dealing, pimping.

Faced with starving to death, I would

If only we could tackle the biggest scroungers of all. The royal family!

You are totally wrong. You should google Civil List and see the history of it. You should also look up the Crown Estate website and look at their accounts. Basically the income from the Crown Estate goes to the government and in return for this, the Civil List is paid. The Crown Estate contributes more than the amount given back in form of the Civil List. And then there is the business/tourism that they bring in, etc etc. And I quite like the quaintness of it - much better them than a president. (I suppose you could ask how the Crown Estate was amassed in the first place).

As for IB scroungers, they annoy me. My son is on the higher rate because he is missing a chromosome and that has screwed him up. We went through lots of doctors reports etc to get any benefit. I would also look at the doctors who have given reports for the fraudsters and take them to task. Apparently of the 2.5m who claim, as many as 1.75m are either on the wrong rate or shouldn't be getting IB at all.

Depression - what is the point of getting IB and then staying at home all day? What these people need to do is get a job and get out into the world rather than mope around the house all day. There are a few thousand that claim because they say that they are too fat to work - bull. Those with headaches possibly should have their eyes tested and get some glasses. Etc etc.

While no doubt there are some who do have a valid reason like headaches, there are far too many who sully the waters for them.

What's his handicap?

:rolleyes:

None so blind as those that won't see - Thatcher introduced it & you're trying to tell us that it was any better under the Tories? Reality check well overdue!:rolleyes:

You are totally wrong. You should google Civil List and see the history of it. You should also look up the Crown Estate website and look at their accounts. Basically the income from the Crown Estate goes to the government and in return for this, the Civil List is paid. The Crown Estate contributes more than the amount given back in form of the Civil List. And then there is the business/tourism that they bring in, etc etc.

"Great minds...." etc.... :-)

"Great minds...." etc.... :-)

The key role of the Queen is Head of State, if you abolish the monarchy it would have to be replaced, typically a presidency. Presidents whether Executive (e.g. USA) or Non executive (e.g. Eire) still require funding, and in addition incur the cost of an election every 4/5 years. Our current system whilst indefensible on inheritance grounds actually works very well as the Head of State is non political and enduring, they are also trained for the job, when has the QUEEN ever embarrassed our nation?

:rolleyes:

None so blind as those that won't see - Thatcher introduced it & you're trying to tell us that it was any better under the Tories? Reality check well overdue!:rolleyes:

thats typical of dune ,this thread should have renamed thatchers Incapacity Slobs In The Firing Line seeing she put able bodied people on incapacity benefit after destroying their community's because of her mismanagement of the economy in her early years.

Edited by solentstars

The key role of the Queen is Head of State, if you abolish the monarchy it would have to be replaced, typically a presidency. Presidents whether Executive (e.g. USA) or Non executive (e.g. Eire) still require funding, and in addition incur the cost of an election every 4/5 years. Our current system whilst indefensible on inheritance grounds actually works very well as the Head of State is non political and enduring, they are also trained for the job, when has the QUEEN ever embarrassed our nation?
the queen maybe non politica and i respect her has a person but i would rather elect my head of state rather than having one family passing the baton on to the next generation and i doubt all the figures of the civil list are including everything and would happy to privatise the monarchy and its hangers on. Edited by solentstars

the queen maybe non politica and i respect her has a person but i would rather elect my head of state rather than having one family passing the baton on to the next generation and i doubt all the figures of the civil list are including everything and would happy to privatise the monarchy and its hangers on.

The British monarchy is an anachronism and hard to justify intellectually. Reality is though it works pretty well. Id rather have a monarch who is brought up from birth to do the best for the country, than just another elected politican who is brought up to do the best for themselves and their party.