How to build a nuclear submarine

Thedelldays

it is a good 4 years late...trouble is, with these being (all of them) late...the older ones are still paying off on time....so there is a gap in overall capability and struggling to fullfill commitments (to which I wont go into)...

as for that one..that is brand new..all shiney and new...hard to imagine what that is like when full of people (will be circa 120) working, living and eating in that tube....

+1 Only managed 19 years but they were real submarines Os and Ps

I never had an underwater steam kettle either!!

pah.....diesel heads everywhere

I wonder how many football forums can claim 3 submariners..? :)

Skintsaint, it was a good programme. It showed the dedication and skill of the workforce, and allowed the cameras inside the huge hangers and workshops. The enormous assembly building was like something out of NASA. Devonshire Dock Hall

I actually thought one or two bits of information were a bit borderline, secrecy wise, but what do I know..? Two references to Southampton revealed some of the extent of the technology aboard the boat.

1. From the Narrator - the passive sonar used by the submarine is said to be capable of detecting a ship leaving harbour in New York, all the way from Southampton.

2. From the Captain of the boat himself - the nuclear powerplant is capable of powering an entire city the size of Southampton.

Moderately interesting programme on a very interesting subject . How unusual (not) that the producers chose to spend much of the time following the youngest & probably prettiest female shipyard worker in the industry rather than some old chap who had 40 years of welding experience behind him - sign of the times I suppose . Much of the background story of the Astute class was omitted - for instance reason there're late & horribly over budget is the absolute horlicks of a job the original design team did due to hopelessly inadequate computer software . The rather embarrassing fact that this once great shipbuilding nation now has to call upon US assistance to design its own warships was hardly touched upon .

Nevertheless a formidable vessel and I can only hope the navy gets the 7 boats it has requested - but I wouldn't want to bet on that frankly in the midst of the current economic crisis .

Moderately interesting programme on a very interesting subject . How unusual (not) that the producers chose to spend much of the time following the youngest & probably prettiest female shipyard worker in the industry rather than some old chap who had 40 years of welding experience behind him - sign of the times I suppose . Much of the background story of the Astute class was omitted - for instance reason there're late & horribly over budget is the absolute horlicks of a job the original design team did due to hopelessly inadequate computer software . The rather embarrassing fact that this once great shipbuilding nation now has to call upon US assistance to design its own warships was hardly touched upon .

Nevertheless a formidable vessel and I can only hope the navy gets the 7 boats it has requested - but I wouldn't want to bet on that frankly in the midst of the current economic crisis .

To be fair, the political end of the spectrum wasn't part of the programme's remit. It was about the ordinary men and women doing their everyday jobs but producing an extraordinary thing. In that it succeeded, IMO.

• 5 weeks later...