Can I Shoot A Sparrow?

dune

I have a sparrow that sits on the gutter of the house and keeps twitting (i think it has somehow made it's home in the roof). I have tried scaring it off and that hasn't worked and I planned to climb up a ladder and spray pollyfilla foam into any gap I discovered but my ladder isn't tall enough, so can I legally use a pellet gun to shoot it?

Just shows what a nasty person you are IMHO.

Perhaps someone will shoot your dog.

It's only a sparrow. I wouldn't mind if it didn't twit at 4 a.m. It's not funny having keep the windows closed on these warm nights.

In order to shoot birds in your garden you would require a licence from the Department for Food Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). The licence is only granted for specific purposes, there are many different types of licences please see the website for DEFRA (in related information) for a full explanation of the licences.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q16.htm

Did you really think that the RSPB would condone shooting any bird?

The clue's in their name.

I wasn't asking for approval - I was asking for clarification of the law. The lady was actually very nice and clearly not a townie like most who've replied on this thread.

It's only a sparrow. I wouldn't mind if it didn't twit at 4 a.m. It's not funny having keep the windows closed on these warm nights.

I know what you mean, I get woken up at 4am every morning by the ****ing magpies and crows, now there's a noise that gets you stressed very easily. I'd rather have a sparrow waking me up than these 2 species.

It's not just 1 or 2 either there's loads of them, some mornings when I walk my dog I can count up to about 30 odd crows and 30-40 odd magpies in the field.

ps - name the sparrow Jack.

Edited by Master Bates

That is exactly the way i'd have put it, but adding old and rusty, they sound like old rusty machine guns going off.

Now I'm no expert, but a rusty machine gun would probaly cause a breech explosion.

Why not hire a falconer? Or borrow a cat that is particularly good with heights? Or wear headphones and listen to soothing ambient music; the Dawn Chorus is a favourite.

Now I'm no expert, but a rusty machine gun would probaly cause a breech explosion.

Why not hire a falconer? Or borrow a cat that is particularly good with heights? Or wear headphones and listen to soothing ambient music; the Dawn Chorus is a favourite.

I did once manage to get one of my neighbours cats to run up at least halfway up the house, it was fighting with my cat so I sprayed them with the hose.

I prefer the real dawn chorus but without at least the magpies, the crows aren't too bad. I do tend to let the 2 cats out at 5am to keep the mags away from the fish.

Buy one of these beauties

eurasian_eagle_owl.jpg

You can pick up a young pair for £400, but have to rear them properly.

Oh, and they prey on Wolves in the wild

Well they would get rid of the sparrow but imagine the noise a pair of them would make at 4 in the morning!!

Gawd then the OP would have to ring the RSPB and ask if can shoot them with anti-aircraft missile. Other options would be releasing a 30 ft Anaconda in the loft or letting out a pair of lions to climb up your house.

I'd put up with the sparrow if I were you!

Well they would get rid of the sparrow but imagine the noise a pair of them would make at 4 in the morning!!

Gawd then the OP would have to ring the RSPB and ask if can shoot them with anti-aircraft missile. Other options would be releasing a 30 ft Anaconda in the loft or letting out a pair of lions to climb up your house.

I'd put up with the sparrow if I were you!

I reckon it would be quite a hoot :lol:

Oh well. Try a crossbow.

Nope: the shooting birds ban goes further than guns. Shooting a bird with either a bow or a crossbow are both banned as well; And you can't use explosives either.

Nothing said about poison darts though

Edited by boxosponge
or for and

Wow! Only 17 posts for godwins law to be invoked!!! Amazing!!

Um Pahars posting again, where?

More seriously, certain members (or their previous incarnations) are known Nazis. Therefore when they do post

Godwin's Law is most likely to be invoked.

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy

Um Pahars posting again, where?

More seriously, certain members (or their previous incarnations) are known Nazis. Therefore when they do post

Godwin's Law is most likely to be invoked.

Thing is we all know who they are / suspected to be - you only have to read a few threads on here. I have to admit, though, that it getting a little boring to see it on every single thread and dare I say it, a little childish. (tin hat smilie thing).

shooting sounds like the only answer - go for a close range 'head, heart, stomach' grouping in quick succession and that sparrow ain't getting up.

If it's in a public place like a park, after the shooting just walk away casually, no one will stop you, and get a reliable wheels man with something like an impreza.

If that gives you the buzz you're seeking move onto cats and then women, traditionally this is the progression for most serial murderers who find they can justify killing prostitutes or any women out after 8pm by convincing one of the multiple-personalties roaming through their heads that they are 'cleaning the streets' - it often stems from impotency as well.

But be wary, smear mud or dog's muck on your face so you can't be seen in the dark and check the rear lights on your little Metro, you don't want to be caught for just a minor traffic offence.

Finally, less time killing, more time digging - a shallow grave will always be found, then again one of your other multiple personalities may want that and make you leave clues - but start with a sparrow and see if you can cover that atrocity first.

Just to update, the sparrow has been dealt with. I have strategically erected baloons along the gutter and the little bugger has not returned.:)

But now your house looks like a kiddy magnet. I'm not sure the neighbours are going to like that.

Dune, if they bother you, there is one way to ensure it never happens again.

Now, I'm not in to killing things, but the natural kingdom is sometimes a hard and brutal place. Sometimes tough choices must be made, and one animal must die so that another might live. So did you consider shooting yourself instead? That way, the superior creature can survive.

Dune, if they bother you, there is one way to ensure it never happens again.

Now, I'm not in to killing things, but the natural kingdom is sometimes a hard and brutal place. Sometimes tough choices must be made, and one animal must die so that another might live. So did you consider shooting yourself instead? That way, the superior creature can survive.

I love wildlife and give the birds nuts in the winter and water in the summer, but I also have countryside views and have been beating and support fox hunting. Take pheasant shooting they have a far better life than battery hens, but your typical townie hates the thought of shooting but doesn't question the source of the chicken in their KFC.