£20 note going out of cuirculation

Block 18

My understanding is that the bank of England is legally obliged to honour all banknotes presented to them for 'payment' regardless of any 'legal tender' dates that are set?

There is, after all, no expiry date on our banknotes (aka IOUs)

My understanding is that the bank of England is legally obliged to honour all banknotes presented to them for 'payment' regardless of any 'legal tender' dates that are set?

There is, after all, no expiry date on our banknotes (aka IOUs)

Correct. Retailers can refuse to take them, but you can just go and swap them at a bank branch.

In LUL ticket offices, we haven't been told what date to stop accepting the old £20 notes, so perhaps we're still taking them. Makes sense with the number of tourists we deal with, it'll take time for other countries to get rid of their old stocks.

I still have people turning up with those big notes and coins that went out of date in the 80's/90's. Makes sense if they haven't been in the country for years, but a little research wouldn't be bad! I wouldn't take pesetas to Spain or Francs to France!

Official procedure from my side (Post Office):

Officially no longer legal tender from July 1st.

Notes still accepted by retailers, but not given back out, must be banked into takings - so check your change when you go shopping!

You should refuse any attempt by any retailer/bank/whoever to give you one of the outmoded notes.

Bank of England will always exchange any outmoded notes, regardless of how old.

We haven't been given an official date to stop accepting them either, usually it's about 6 months or so, so I'd expect it by the end of the year.

In LUL ticket offices, we haven't been told what date to stop accepting the old £20 notes, so perhaps we're still taking them. Makes sense with the number of tourists we deal with, it'll take time for other countries to get rid of their old stocks.

I still have people turning up with those big notes and coins that went out of date in the 80's/90's. Makes sense if they haven't been in the country for years, but a little research wouldn't be bad! I wouldn't take pesetas to Spain or Francs to France!

Well, not for a few months at least :-)

Official procedure from my side (Post Office):

Officially no longer legal tender from July 1st.

Notes still accepted by retailers, but not given back out, must be banked into takings - so check your change when you go shopping!

You should refuse any attempt by any retailer/bank/whoever to give you one of the outmoded notes.

Bank of England will always exchange any outmoded notes, regardless of how old.

We haven't been given an official date to stop accepting them either, usually it's about 6 months or so, so I'd expect it by the end of the year.

We're not accepting them as of Thursday and if we do bank them with our taking (via Loomis) they will not be credited to our account.

Scratch that, we have now been told that as of today we are no longer accepting them.

Another good reason why we should join the euro. imho people who can't accept this change (in general) have entrenched views that they are not incapable or unwilling to question.

There really is nothing to be scared of, as someone has already said, it's just IOU's and they are all owed to faceless people who don't work on nationality, they work on having us over a barrell!

We're not accepting them as of Thursday and if we do bank them with our taking (via Loomis) they will not be credited to our account.

It's at the retailers discretion. Not quite sure how Loomis have been able to say that - which bank is it, as all banks have to accept them!!

• 2 months later...

It's fine, it's a promise from the bank to pay the bearer so they'll change it. Where I work at Heathrow, we get a plethora of old style notes from people that have been out of the country for years and bring back old currency. Not just last issue either but really old. Coins too, I'd forgotten how big coins were. Proper little weapons. Some of our customers say that the old notes they possess have just been given to them by a foreign currency exchange. Sounds like a scam to me.