Telemarketing

SuperMikey

Anyone employed or has been employed in this field in the past? Summer jobs are slim pickings this year, but a job as a Telemarketer came up near me, so I was just wondering what kind of thing is involved? I know the cold calling side of things, I get enough of those at home, I was just wondering if there was much else involved.

Thanks!

Dave Benson Phillips is your man.

When I read that name I instantly think of a NZ politican named David Benson Pope :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Benson-Pope

In May 2005 Benson-Pope stood down from cabinet after allegations that he had physically abused students while teaching at Bayfield High School in the 1980s.

The allegations included charges he stuffed a tennis-ball in a student's mouth and taped his hands to a desk,

threw tennis balls at students' heads, caned a student until he bled, and smacked a student in the face

with the back of his hand on a school camp, making his nose bleed. Benson-Pope strongly denied the accusations.

Anyone employed or has been employed in this field in the past? Summer jobs are slim pickings this year, but a job as a Telemarketer came up near me, so I was just wondering what kind of thing is involved? I know the cold calling side of things, I get enough of those at home, I was just wondering if there was much else involved.

Thanks!

If you take the job and happen to cold call me, i apologise in advance when i swiftly tell you to get f*cked.

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Thanks!

Bottom of the pile stuff, if you don't mind telling someone they have won a holiday and being hung up on/ told to f*ck off then crack on.

If thats what you wanna do i would have a look at SSE's emergency call centre, they occasionally get jobs coming up and i know that a lot of them get around 26-30k for just sitting on a phone and relaying info to engineers, well thats what they told me when i spent some time with them on one of my placements.

Easy money really, in the scheme of things.

I've done it. You will get dogs abuse depending on what you are selling. I sold advertising space for an Auto Trader style mag in the States in the 80s and was once threatened with murder. Due to being somewhat fried on the local herbal offerings, I inadvertantly rang a bloke back who I had only just called and been given a verbal tirade. Scary stuff!!!

Of course back then calls weren't recorded so there was no real protection.

Bottom of the pile stuff, if you don't mind telling someone they have won a holiday and being hung up on/ told to f*ck off then crack on.

Last time i saw you, you were pushing a leaflet through my door.....deadly serious.

Let him find his own way

It's only a summer job really until September. Don't mind the abuse, just fancy getting paid a decent sum of money (for an 18 year old) for not much work!

Exactly the way to look at it Mikey.

No one should dress it up as something it isnt....its foooking horrible, but pays more than anything else .....good luck

When I read that name I instantly think of a NZ politican named David Benson Pope :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Benson-Pope

In May 2005 Benson-Pope stood down from cabinet after allegations that he had physically abused students while teaching at Bayfield High School in the 1980s.

The allegations included charges he stuffed a tennis-ball in a student's mouth and taped his hands to a desk,

threw tennis balls at students' heads, caned a student until he bled, and smacked a student in the face

with the back of his hand on a school camp, making his nose bleed. Benson-Pope strongly denied the accusations.

He didn't do any of that, he was just 'having a chat' about their behaviour.

The level of abuse you receive very much depends on whether you are doing B2C (Business-to-Consumer) or B2B (Business-to-Business) campaigns.

B2C will inevitably lead to more abuse, especially if you are calling people within a 'lower' demographic profile. With B2B, you won't get any abuse, the odd rude response maybe, but people in business tend to be professional. The challenge with B2B however, will be to get past the gatekeepers. If you crack this, then you will do well.

You will either love it or hate it - no middle ground. Go for it I say as it is good character building stuff and is a good grounding for a career in sales (if that is what you want to do). It is amazing how many sales people are too scared to pick up the phone and call people these days. Outbound telemarketing on your CV will at least demonstrate you have a pair of ********.

If you can get past the introduction you'll be doing well. It's not a job i'd enjoy because i'm against the whole "buying at the door (which includes telesales)" principle. The abuse wouldn't bother me though as it's water off a ducks back.