Do you let your children cycle to school?....

Redbul

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291970/Couple-threatened-social-services-children-ride-bikes-school.html

Well, this couple do and they've been warned they could be reported to social services. Tbf, 5 is a little young for this trip unserpervised imo.

But, I used to walk or cycle to school unsupervised from about the age of 8 or 9 and we let our youngest (who is now 11) cycle to and from school. I suppose it depends on how safe you think the route is and if you think your littlun is savvy enough to manage.

not read the article but I suppose where you live might make a difference. If I still lived back in Hedge End I dont think I would let my kids walk or cycle to school even if I lived next door to the school.

Living in Torquay I am about 300 yards from my kids school and I let them walk home on there own once they are 8 and over. 7 year old is gagging to do it but even though I consider the route safe and short enough I still think he is too young. So to let a 5 year old do it I am not suprised the social are getting involved.

Yes, but as mentioned it is about where you live and how the local environment is suited to it. We live in a village and the traffic is lowish, the middle school runs cycling proficiency classes. Saying that lots of kids ride on the path, but that's probably the safest place.

I agree with Boris Johnson:

Mayor Boris Johnson today said the Schonrocks should be applauded, not hounded, for showing faith in their children.

He said he 'passionately supported' their decision to allow their children to ride to and from school.

'They have taken the sword of common sense to the great bloated encephalopathic sacred cow of elf and safety,' he said in a column in the Telegraph.

'And for this effrontery they are, of course, being persecuted by the authorities.'

Mr Johnson said it was ultimately the business of parents, not the state, when it came to decisions such as this.

'If Mr and Mrs Schonrock have carefully assessed the route, and considered the advantages and disadvantages, then they should overwhelmingly be given the benefit of the doubt and the freedom to make up their own minds.'

We've had 13 years of the nanny state. It's now time to allow intelligent parents to decide what is right for their children rather than the State looking at everything with a 'lowest common denominator' attitude.

Edited by trousers

The quoted route is in South London and isn't on the same road or anything. Its a route of various back streets, along some busy roads and crossing 1 busy road (albeit at a lolly pop crossing).

Of course, the irony is that the very people making a fuss about this have now revelaed to the world at large what route these children take, so they've actually made it less safe for them to carry on doing it. Sigh.

Both Dulwich Village and East Dulwich Grove get busy at rush hour, so I can see the school's point. There is also no way a 8 year old can be fully responsible for themselves - let alone take responsbility for a 5 year old at the same time. The parents should wait 3 of 4 more years, and the Daily Facist should keep its nose out of other people's business.

Both Dulwich Village and East Dulwich Grove get busy at rush hour, so I can see the school's point. There is also no way a 8 year old can be fully responsible for themselves - let alone take responsbility for a 5 year old at the same time. The parents should wait 3 of 4 more years, and the Daily Facist should keep its nose out of other people's business.

Isn't it Social Services and other parents that should be keeping their nose out of other people's business and not just the newspapers that report it?

Isn't it Social Services and other parents that should be keeping their nose out of other people's business and not just the newspapers that report it?

Yeah, but I had to get a dig in against the nasty totalitarian blue-rinse press.

And then incur the wrath of the public if something goes wrong? Because it seems to me that Social Services are often in a lose-lose situation.

I wouldn't have let any of my children cycle to school at the age of 5. 8 or 9 maybe, but not 5.

And then incur the wrath of the public if something goes wrong? Because it seems to me that Social Services are often in a lose-lose situation.

*puts on Dune mask*

It's quite obvious that the family in question are intelligent and able to make a decision on what's best for their children. Social Service are for 'families' that aren't blessed with such high IQs

*removes Dune mask*

*puts on Dune mask*

It's quite obvious that the family in question are intelligent and able to make a decision on what's best for their children. Social Service are for 'families' that aren't blessed with such high IQs

*removes Dune mask*

In principal I agree with you. In this case I find it impossible to understand how anyone can think allowing a five year old to ride to school through London traffic is a properly informed decision. Its a pretty hairy experience for most adults.

In principal I agree with you. In this case I find it impossible to understand how anyone can think allowing a five year old to ride to school through London traffic is a properly informed decision. Its a pretty hairy experience for most adults.

Maybe it's the just the nasty Daily Mail exagerating the story....? ;-)

*puts on Dune mask*

*removes Dune mask*

The school may feel, that under ECM, that they have a duty to inform SS. Schools are fearful of not actioning a perceived safeguarding issue.

Personally I think it's bad parenting allowing a 5yp to make their own way to school.