Footie boots

iansums

My daughter will be starting secondary school in September and on the long list of items she needs to get are football boots. Of course she's more into dancing than football (although she sometimes accompanies me to SMS, sorry Stu/Dave) but we will obviously have to get her some.

The thing is it's years since I bought a pair of footie boots and looking on the web there are clearly two types HG (hard ground) which I assume will be 'blades' and SG (soft ground) which I assume will be full studs.

We don't want to be buying two pairs so which should I go for, blades or studs?

Thanks Dog, but £65 is a bit steep although Mrs Sums would happily pay that for my daughters bloody tap shoes. Of course if I was buying for a boy I'd have no problem paying £65. I saw these:

http://www.jjbsports.com/nike-tiempo-natural-iii-fg-(junior)/football-boots/shop/fcp-product/2354

Nice to see you can still get plain old black boots. Some of the colours/designs are hideous!

Moulded studs if you can get 'em definitely. Also, I would go for a traditional soft leather pair as some of the new styles and materials don't seem to offer much ankle support which is probably not great for a nipper. Having said that, kids' joints are remarkably resilient

!

I think it's odd that girls are forced to play football though.

Moulded studs if you can get 'em definitely. Also, I would go for a traditional soft leather pair as some of the new styles and materials don't seem to offer much ankle support which is probably not great for a nipper. Having said that, kids' joints are remarkably resilient

!

I think it's odd that girls are forced to play football though.

I think they will also be used for hockey. Have to get her shin pads also.

Avoid Blades, certain they contributed to me snapping my cruciate (not mentioned it for a while.......)

Those Nikes looked ok to me, failing that try one of the Lilywhites/Sports Soccer type stores, they usually have boxes and boxes of clearance stuff

I train twice a week and play occasionally and I can't afford £65 boots! With my size feet in Italy I buy men's boots but there are some different colours which might be more attractive to a younger lass. One of our players has posh boots where she can change the studs arrangement, but it's very rare here that we wear heavy ground standard 6/8 studs. Moulded is definitely the way to go, I'd say and keep an eye out in the sales.

Hi ian, have you checked out TK Maxx? They regularly sell decent enough footy boots at a fraction of the original price. Admittedly you are going to fine a paid of mercurials, tiempos or mundials but they will be decent makes such as Adidas, Nike, Reebok and Puma, leather and a choice between moulded and screw-in. I too would opt for moulded but leave the blades alone.

Many thanks for all the help guys. Interesting the negative views on blades so I'm favouring moulded studs. However there does not appear to be many about (on the web). Think I may still go for these:

http://www.jjbsports.com/nike-tiempo-natural-iii-fg-(junior)-football-boots/football-boots/shop/fcp-product/2354

#

Some of those studs look a bit odd. It's like they are a cross between moulded studs and blades.

#

Some of those studs look a bit odd. It's like they are a cross between moulded studs and blades.

Agreed, the ones at the rear are oval shaped and there are two long 'blades'. However, if you've seen my daughter play football you'd think that 'odd' looking boots may suit her!!

Under no circumstances get blades. They can provide better grip then moulded and studs but sadly the rigidity they provide in the ground can excessively strain ligaments in the ankles. Particularly in growing children.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all on here for your advice. We went for Nike ones with moulded studs, bought them from JJB.

The shop assistants were of course utterly useless and fairly ignorant, but I suppose that is par for the course in that type of store.